Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posted even though i started reading after Rebirth. Removed the content.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-26-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Gee I wonder why...

Jon is awesome.
    I'm not saying the opposite... I donīt know that, even with him in one comic my eyes are in another place..

The sad past usually interested me.. The Beyond boy was kidnapped and then tortured by a fake father and despite a better life thanks to the JL Beyond know his identity was worst than that.. I hate all Superman evil version... I like see tortured boy/girls with the opportunity of a BETTER LIFE..

Only this.. Maybe is because I only saw Kon-El as the only SUPERBOY(thanks to YJ not N52), one clon of Superman and Lex Luthor, is more like Luthor or more like Superman?

...Or the character personality..
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-26-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Cheated, honestly. It's obvious from interviews and people who have been talked to associated with Superman that they were never really on board with it and couldn't wait to be rid of it fast enough. The moment they had the opportunity to bring back the "old" Superman they took it. I felt like Superman needed to be simplified. Now we are back to the same convoluted mess we had before. I didn't agree with everything they did (killing the Kents, the WW relationship just seemed kind of forced) but I felt like it was what he needed. The nods to the GA were also great. I really hope that they create an "New 52" Earth for things like the stories involving WW and the other stuff that got changed. I don't see it happening though.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

i used to like new 52 superman....till i read one issue of lois and clark and realized how hollow new 52 superman is. The final nail on the coffin was the fanficish pairing of diana and supes

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    i used to like new 52 superman....till i read one issue of lois and clark and realized how hollow new 52 superman is. The final nail on the coffin was the fanficish pairing of diana and supes
    you are aware that anything not written by siegel n shuster is fanfiction right?

as for me i liked the n52 because he was someone that was a interaction that focused on his persona. with all his ups and downs, i also liked the armor and the smww pairing not to mentions the brashness

n52 for me was more proactive wereas the classic superman/reborn is more reactive

but that is just me

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I got into comics with the new 52 so obv new 52 Supes was my introduction to the character in comics(I watched other deciptions of him in media before of course). I liked it a lot and was annoyed when Rebirth happened, because it felt like my Supes died without remorse from the writers. But I stopped taking it personally when we started hearing bout superman reborn and finally bothered catching up, and somewhat liking the family dynamic. I think I finally started to accept the status quo with Reborn.

At the time? Very angry, disappointed, confused. Now? Still disappointed, still confused, but not angry anymore. That latter goes away with some time. But I'm still disappointed beause I thought the world had a lot of good things amongst the bad to be capitalized on, confused because the feeling became pretty apparent when the revisions were being set up that internally, no one liked that Superman. Which begged the question, why in the hell were the changes even greenlit in the first place? That's something that still blows my mind. For the first four years or so if you'd have told me that internal disapproval was as strong as some of the most vocal fan disapproval, I would have rolled my eyes because everyone seemed to be rolling with it, and I would have argued that if they didn't like it they wouldn't have done it in the first place. But in retrospect that seemed to be the case, outside of some creators who worked directly with the character that really seemed to enjoy it. So yeah, why WAS it done and done for so long if it was so disliked?

Despite that though I'm just glad I got the chance to explore a new take on things for 5 years as it was. It was something I was wanting for a long time and I got it. I also got to explore in real time a then-canon Superman/WW relationship, which I never in a million years thought would happen. And I got four years of that. So that's a long time to have something to consume that you enjoy, to be honest. I thought it was all cut short too soon but five years isn't chump change, its a decent series run looking at it in terms of say, a tv show. So I'm over being mad about it, rather pleased I got to experience it in the first place. I still think it can and should be tried again, just not at the expense of the continuity they have, something on the side. I have often and will continue to champion that idea.

As for how I feel now about Rebirth in total? Pretty good now that the dual Superman thing was taken care of. I was off the rails unhappy while that was a thing but now that its not and things are settled with one Superman for one world again, I'm cool. I'm still lukewarm on Jon. I've always pretty much tolerated him, with instances of thinking he's cute but not fullblown "I love this character". I'm not at all there yet and I'm not sure if and when I will be. But I can tolerate him.

The marriage? Honestly I think it has the exact same issues that it had pre-FP, just that those issues are masked now particularly because of Jon. Those issues being a lack of consistent dynamic between Clark and Lois when they're marrieds outside of platitudes, and a distinct lack of meaningful Lois stuff period. In DC, "married" seems to be code for "taken for granted", and this has not changed.

The continuity? I'm pretty pleased with that. I could do without the Secret Origins pieces, but its all vague enough that overall, I'm cool with fans being able to imagine pretty much everything happened. I know some fans don't like that "pick and choose" method, but for a character with a history as vast as his I think its a better move than most.

Superman's characterization is what I'm the most happy with. He didn't revert to a dense pushover, he retains the swagger and attitude now that appealed to me in the New 52. I think most do a good job of combining his compassion and his innate goodness with that confidence and swag that he'd always had before...I dunno, sometime in the 2000s is when I think he lost it, personally. Even before the merger, you could see the changes in how they wrote "Superdad" as compared to the pure nostalgia-fest of how he was written in Convergence. When they knew he would be essentially THE Superman again, I think they did a good job of taking those good New 52 traits (inspired by his classic characterization), and re-applied it to that version. Hell that's what had me convinced they were leaning toward a merger in the first place, as they in a sense had done it from the start in way of personality.

So yeah, just a little window into where I'm at right now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-26-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I despise pairing Superman and Wonder Woman together in canon (totally fine with it being used elsewhere). They are different franchises with their own mythos, despite operating in the same world. Never should have happened in canon, imo. I'm not sure if Clark being married with a son is my ideal status quo, despite warming to it, but at least it's utilizing Clark's cast and building on his world and not yanking from the wider dcu. Which from my perspective, alone makes it the better status quo for Superman. Maybe if N52 Superman was single or dating a brand new character, I'd have felt worse about him getting new-coked. I can see the appeal in pairing him up with another Superhero. I love Aquaman and Mera. But WW doesn't work as the Mera to Clark's Arthur, and never will. For that to be the case, her roots would be in Clark's myth.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 09-26-2017 at 03:29 PM.

I did feel cheated especially how he died and the stupid cross overs that ruined his run. I mean he died suddenly replaced by old supes (who mind you did not behave very superman like in seclusion). New 52 supes was just awesome, the armour, the new cape, new relationship, better lana, better relationship with supergirl, better krypto, better biological parents (lara was badass and Jor-el was even more badss in the H'e; on earth event). Then when they tired to move on the made Wondy unbearable with it, Bruce just accepting he died at times.

Still i'm over it i mean my fave supes was always Prime so the old fans got back their i enjoyed the time with new 52 supes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I still think it can and should be tried again, just not at the expense of the continuity they have, something on the side. I have often and will continue to champion that idea.
    If the concept can be represented by something other than an edgelord alternative future populated by dickheads, I'd love to have my mind be changed.

I really think sometimes the S/WW fans were fooling themselves during DKIII's publication, proclaiming the relationship there to be some remarkable godsend. I thought it was terribly written, those two don't act like Clark and Diana at all. Hell I don't like the pairing in JL Action and I think Clark and Diana are much more on point there than whatever the hell they are in the ASBAR universe.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.

I would actually disagree that he had a better relationship with Supergirl. It was too strained for my liking. I get what they were going for, but they never let it evolve from the initial weirdness of the whole situation which was understandable at the time. But it persisted without growing into something loving and stable. But it definitely improved on characters like Lana and Lara. Lana has remained the way she was, thankfully, but unfortunately it looks like Lara has not. That strong empowered woman we got in New 52 seems to be replaced with the usual generic doting wife who really doesn't do much but stand by Jor-El's side.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

His relationship with Supergirl was one of the bad things about New 52. She clearly hated Earth and didn't want to be there and latched onto anyone who would "bring back" Krypton (H'el anyone?) and couldn't understand why her cousin didn't feel the same way.
    Assassinate Putin!

Count me as someone who generally prefers Superman and Supergirl to be on close terms, rather than be at odds, but at least they interacted semi regularly for a time during the N52. With all the emphasis on family, that's definitely a ball that's been dropped right now. But I'm just glad she's no longer wearing that ugly costume from the reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    At the time? Very angry, disappointed, confused. Now? Still disappointed, still confused, but not angry anymore. That latter goes away with some time. But I'm still disappointed beause I thought the world had a lot of good things amongst the bad to be capitalized on, confused because the feeling became pretty apparent when the revisions were being set up that internally, no one liked that Superman. Which begged the question, why in the hell were the changes even greenlit in the first place? That's something that still blows my mind. For the first four years or so if you'd have told me that internal disapproval was as strong as some of the most vocal fan disapproval, I would have rolled my eyes because everyone seemed to be rolling with it, and I would have argued that if they didn't like it they wouldn't have done it in the first place. But in retrospect that seemed to be the case, outside of some creators who worked directly with the character that really seemed to enjoy it. So yeah, why WAS it done and done for so long if it was so disliked?

Despite that though I'm just glad I got the chance to explore a new take on things for 5 years as it was. It was something I was wanting for a long time and I got it. I also got to explore in real time a then-canon Superman/WW relationship, which I never in a million years thought would happen. And I got four years of that. So that's a long time to have something to consume that you enjoy, to be honest. I thought it was all cut short too soon but five years isn't chump change, its a decent series run looking at it in terms of say, a tv show. So I'm over being mad about it, rather pleased I got to experience it in the first place. I still think it can and should be tried again, just not at the expense of the continuity they have, something on the side. I have often and will continue to champion that idea.

As for how I feel now about Rebirth in total? Pretty good now that the dual Superman thing was taken care of. I was off the rails unhappy while that was a thing but now that its not and things are settled with one Superman for one world again, I'm cool. I'm still lukewarm on Jon. I've always pretty much tolerated him, with instances of thinking he's cute but not fullblown "I love this character". I'm not at all there yet and I'm not sure if and when I will be. But I can tolerate him.

The marriage? Honestly I think it has the exact same issues that it had pre-FP, just that those issues are masked now particularly because of Jon. Those issues being a lack of consistent dynamic between Clark and Lois when they're marrieds outside of platitudes, and a distinct lack of meaningful Lois stuff period. In DC, "married" seems to be code for "taken for granted", and this has not changed.

The continuity? I'm pretty pleased with that. I could do without the Secret Origins pieces, but its all vague enough that overall, I'm cool with fans being able to imagine pretty much everything happened. I know some fans don't like that "pick and choose" method, but for a character with a history as vast as his I think its a better move than most.

Superman's characterization is what I'm the most happy with. He didn't revert to a dense pushover, he retains the swagger and attitude now that appealed to me in the New 52. I think most do a good job of combining his compassion and his innate goodness with that confidence and swag that he'd always had before...I dunno, sometime in the 2000s is when I think he lost it, personally. Even before the merger, you could see the changes in how they wrote "Superdad" as compared to the pure nostalgia-fest of how he was written in Convergence. When they knew he would be essentially THE Superman again, I think they did a good job of taking those good New 52 traits (inspired by his classic characterization), and re-applied it to that version. Hell that's what had me convinced they were leaning toward a merger in the first place, as they in a sense had done it from the start in way of personality.

So yeah, just a little window into where I'm at right now.
    Yeah, remember how he reacted to Lex trying to browbeat him by essentially beating the crap out of him and basically threatened to beat batman in Timeless arc. Superman of mid 2000s would look down and walk away.

Astonishing Member

Didn't get into Superman with the New52 but I can't tell you how satisfying it was to step away from this being the general idea of Superman as a weak man who happened to have been granted incredible powers. It was a clean and effective cut away from the gangrenous limb of the post-crisis idea of what being a kind man was which seemed to be jargon for weak, meek, and docile.

Compared to previous Supermen, Post-Crisis Supes was weak emotionally, mentally, and physically. For whatever it's faults the New52 pivoted us away from all that god awful characterization that was pushed onto the character where he was constantly portrayed as a spineless simpleton and moved us back to TRUE traditional characterization where he couldn't be brow beaten by the members of the justice league, mean words from randos on the streets didn't leave him with crippling confidence issues, and when he put his mind to something he got things done. And the saddest thing is that those bits should be considered BASIC characterization points for Superman but in post-crisis era even that simple stuff seemed like most of the editorial and writers weren't sure of what was what.

Frankly if you have a problem with a Superman who's assertive and tough on crime why the hell are you even here? I get why people like Blacksun haunted the board for years urging to go back to post-crisis style characterization; because they knew that was the era where he became a hick simpleton that Batman and other could use like a whipping boy. But if you're a true and blue fan of the big blue then you shouldn't worried about him laying down the law with Batman or whoever when they get out of line with him. Because that' what he would have done in pretty much any other era.
    Last edited by The World; 10-01-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory