Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tim Seeley leaving Nightwing. Thoughts on replacement

With Seeley leaving Nightwing what do you think of Humphries as his replacement?

We hope continue with a good nightwing volume..

He would not have been my first choice to take over the book, but I'm willing to give him a chance .

Mighty Member

Green Lanterns has been surprisingly good. Humphries made Jess and Simon interesting and their dynamic is nice. That said I wonder if he's a big fan of Bludhaven/police Dick. I'm so tired of that stuff.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm very curious to see what happens. I loved the Marcus To art for the first Bludhaven storyline, but I've been pretty indifferent to everything else except Huntress's return. A lot of that is Fernandez's art, but Seeley's stuff seems a bit less grounded in emotional reality than when he was working with King on Grayson, so I think across the board it's just not as successful as I'd hope. Humphries has a similar zany sense of humor like Seeley, so I'll be interested to see if he can bring the series a different approach.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Very upset about this. Humphries has been killing it on Green Lanterns, making it one of my favorite Rebirth books and making its stars into two of my favorite characters, and now he's going to a book I won't be following him to, while Green Lanterns is getting stuck with Seeley, who I'm fully anticipating will drag the quality down big time.

I'm willing to come in with an open mind, but I did not enjoy a lot of Humphries's Marvel work. Uncanny X-Force and Star Lord were some of the worst series I've read in the last few years. So I'm nervous as Seeley was really good with the character. Though it was clear that Seeley was not enjoying the Bludhaven stories he was mandated to write and I'm glad he is able to get out before he becomes too frustrated with it. I'm also worried that by losing Seeley we are going to lose the globetrotting stories.

Can't be worst than Seely, i have been unimpressed by most of his work in the characther, Humphries is not my first choice, but i willing to give him a chance and if the rumor of Hudson University coming back are true, you could do something interesting with it, maybe Dick would end his carreer this time, similar of what DeFalco tried to do with Peter and MJ after the Clone Saga, a genius idea that wasn't follow upon.

His Marvel work did nothing for me, but i heard good hings about his GLs. So we'll see i guess.

i like both books right now, so when i heard about the swap i was like.... oh. okay. who asked for this? (probably the writers themselves. i don't know). but like i said, i've been enjoying both books since rebirth launched, so messing with either creative staffs wasn't something i was hoping to hear.

i buy most things green lantern-related, so i'm in no danger of dropping green lanterns, but after chuck dixon left nightwing i found the book nigh-unreadable for many, many years. it's not until grayson that i started digging the character's solo work again, and i've followed him through rebirth. it's been nice reading fun dick grayson stories again, but i won't stick around long if the quality plummets. we'll see. i'll certainly give it a fair shot.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Honestly pretty sad. Everything Humphries mentioned about his nightwing arc sounds boring and uninspired. I'm gonna miss Seeley on the book a lot. I also don't get why he is still keeping the bludhaven setting?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Honestly pretty sad. Everything Humphries mentioned about his nightwing arc sounds boring and uninspired. I'm gonna miss Seeley on the book a lot. I also don't get why he is still keeping the bludhaven setting?
    Dick will never escape that awful place.

All-New Member

<<Post Deleted>>
    Last edited by Egg_Chef; 09-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bludhaven is editorial mandated. Seeley basically said that when he started Rebirth Nightwing as he only agreed to write it if he could design Bludhaven to be how he wanted, but even then his attempt at making Bludhaven interesting I think fell short. At its core Bludhaven is just a very dull and overused idea in comics that Batman, Spider-man and Daredevil all do far, far better. Still, they want to keep his character there for some reason rather than try and do something unique with the character.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Bludhaven is editorial mandated. Seeley basically said that when he started Rebirth Nightwing as he only agreed to write it if he could design Bludhaven to be how he wanted, but even then his attempt at making Bludhaven interesting I think fell short. At its core Bludhaven is just a very dull and overused idea in comics that Batman, Spider-man and Daredevil all do far, far better. Still, they want to keep his character there for some reason rather than try and do something unique with the character.
    I think I remember hearing as much, that's too bad. I guess they must feel like there are too many heroes in Gotham.