Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mantis vs. Karate Kid

1)Pre-crisis version of Val
    2) Current version of Val

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Val, barring telepathy, but even then he should be able to blitz her.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Can't Mantis just shut him down with Telepathy?

Really, it's her only chance.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Can't Mantis just shut him down with Telepathy?

Really, it's her only chance.
    Not with the "near-light-speed ring throw through brain" option.

This goes to show the point at which martial artists in Marvel and DC get really, REALLY silly. When the girl who can cross a field to intercept automatic weapon fire after it is fired and save two people, a couple of issues after nerve-striking out Thor and simultaneously knocking back both Thor and Vision with separate blows... is too slow and ineffective to deal with Val.

There isn't a human-statted martial artist other than Val who could live with Mantis, but... Val.

I think you mean 'by training only, no magic' martial artist, as Val (speed?) is pretty far from 'human-statted'.

And if that's the case, then there are quite a few martial artists 'by training only' who would wreck Mantis in a fight.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Does she also have a level of pyrokinesis? that she used on groot before?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I think you mean 'by training only, no magic' martial artist, as Val (speed?) is pretty far from 'human-statted'.

And if that's the case, then there are quite a few martial artists 'by training only' who would wreck Mantis in a fight.

I meant in Marvel & DC. And Val's travel speed is pretty normal outside of his flight ring isn't it? He just has ludicrous reactions because *training*.

But yeah, if you count guys like the Dragonball lot, clearly. But Mantis would kick the crap out of even Danny Rand, so on the Marvel / DC martial arts totem, she's pretty up there.

yeah she apparently did smack around vision in more than one panel while taking on thor at the same time. http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/wp-...3is123pg07.png

she also tags a speeding quicksilver https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9UW6P8uVg...0/av127_22.gif

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...3622-43954.jpg

dodges lightning https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...-mantis+50.jpg

caught two of hawkeyes arrows and kicked one in half,while stabbing wonderman in the eyes with the two she caught https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...-mantis+20.jpg

Nerve strikes wonderman,dodges visions energy blast,while taking out scarlet witch https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...-mantis+22.jpg

She doesn't stab Wonder Man in the eyes. Wonder Man himself, then... I wanna say Vision?... describe what happens. She blinds him by getting smoke and tear gas in his eyes. Which is still a stupid low showing for Simon, but taking an arrow in his eyes would be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

I meant in Marvel & DC.
    That rather changes the thing, yes.

And Val's travel speed is pretty normal outside of his flight ring isn't it? He just has ludicrous reactions because *training*.
    I kind of go with that being somewhat lumped under 'superhuman stats: speed' when he can do stuff like he does. ^_^

But yeah, if you count guys like the Dragonball lot, clearly. But Mantis would kick the crap out of even Danny Rand, so on the Marvel / DC martial arts totem, she's pretty up there.
    There are bucketloads of others (Manga of various sorts, Chinese comics, even various novels and literary series have characters that will wreck Mantis). Just, as you say, not in Marvel and DC.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    She doesn't stab Wonder Man in the eyes. Wonder Man himself, then... I wanna say Vision?... describe what happens. She blinds him by getting smoke and tear gas in his eyes. Which is still a stupid low showing for Simon, but taking an arrow in his eyes would be worse.
    What's with the cherry picking,it's not like she's applying make up to his face. She GENTLY APPLIES THE ARROW HEAD TO his eyes. i mean cmon,the picture is what it is. Stabbing motion,never said she pierced his eyes.

She has pimpsmacked thor and vision on more than one occasion. She also has applied nerve strikes to both Thor and WM. I mean low showing for him or not,she's done it more than once. She even tagged quicksilver...i don't even know if tripping the runner is considered legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracleman View Post
    i don't even know if tripping the runner is considered legit.
    It's not, really, given what the Runner does and how fast he actually is. I can buy her - sort of - managing against Quicksilver, but the Runner is many, many orders of magnitude faster.
    Why are we here?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

The thing is he can just use the flight ring to, you know fly fast instead of throwing it. And Mantis is good. But dodging lighting doesn't compare to "dodge speed force instant death lightning Wally West is sprinting on."

I don't even know if Mantis has offensive telepathy. The only showings for her TP I recall were when I was reading the post annihilation Guardians of the Galaxy, and I only recall her mind blasting folks in tandem with Moondragon and Cosmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The thing is he can just use the flight ring to, you know fly fast instead of throwing it. And Mantis is good. But dodging lighting doesn't compare to "dodge speed force instant death lightning Wally West is sprinting on."
    Retroactively dodging it. He's shown having been struck full on in the chest by it.

And, honestly, I'm kind of at the point where I'm willing to just grant Val Deja Fu, because of the three times he's died and come back to life one of them had this explanation, and the other he just randomly showed back up alive and it was never spoken of again.