Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Rebirth was better. Outside of the fact you were getting more with less (An 80 Page Giant for 3 bucks? I'm sold) Rebirth just ultimately had a better Narrative & a better payoff. Rebirth was this big beginning of a mystery on why a near omnipotent being changed this universe & is so deadset on keep it cold & bitter & has readers checking out titles connected to this mystery to find answers or build up. It has this impact of characters who were missing over the course of the reboot & how it effects not only the audience but the characters as well.

Legacy doesn't really have that same impact. I don't feel anything's for Logan's return since Marvel never really gave me the chance because all they did was divided him by 8 & gave them minor changes, Maybe I feel something for F4 given the BS reason for getting rid of them but it's hard to really trust Marvel on anything regarding the team. This Avengers BC stuff is cool & all but it doesn't really make me interested if this is going to be a big Earth shattering plot & more just an Avengers centric story. It's more of just a big preview for titles unrelated to one another & eh on the whole thing. I'll check out the titles simply because there's a spark of interest in those titles but that's it.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    If most fans prefer emo-fascist Superman and 'mental capacity of a five year old' Wonder Woman over their New52 counterparts, then most fans are idiots.
    *looks at my copies of Tomasi's Superman and Rucka's Wonder Woman*

What the hell are you smoking?

I think DC has it won with the better price and page count in that department, but since I didn't read it, I can't say for sure. How's the artwork here? Does only one artist draw the comic or are there a bunch? That might give this comic the edge in the art department by being visually consistent from beginning to end.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Ya I need to change my sentence I worded it wrong. I meant to say majority of fans agreed with DC and want to forget about new 52
    No worries

All good - it had its strengths and frailty and I respect that they felt they needed to work on it but likewise I really liked some of it too

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Does only one artist draw the comic or are there a bunch? That might give this comic the edge in the art department by being visually consistent from beginning to end.
    Nope. There are a number of artists on Legacy #1
    http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/08/...rvel-legacy-1/

Amazing Member ShadowSwordmaster's Avatar

Overall, I enjoyed Rebirth a lot more than Legacy. Legacy, for me, seems very hollow to me considering what Marvel did in the past. The whole idea of Avengers BC seems a both good and bad to me.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Nope. There are a number of artists on Legacy #1
    http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/08/...rvel-legacy-1/
    Okay, so they are equal on artistic consistency and visual tone. Gotcha.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    *looks at my copies of Tomasi's Superman and Rucka's Wonder Woman*

What the hell are you smoking?

I think DC has it won with the better price and page count in that department, but since I didn't read it, I can't say for sure. How's the artwork here? Does only one artist draw the comic or are there a bunch? That might give this comic the edge in the art department by being visually consistent from beginning to end.
    Superman is better shape now than he's been in a long time. Tomasi and Jurgen's are doing a great job.

BTW, Rebirth really did it better than Legacy. Rebirth dropped three Jokers, JSA, Legion of Superheroes, Wally West, and Watchmen. Legacy gave us Wolverine and the FF back.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Superman is better shape now than he's been in a long time. Tomasi and Jurgen's are doing a great job.

BTW, Rebirth really did it better than Legacy. Rebirth dropped three Jokers, JSA, Legion of Superheroes, Wally West, and Watchmen. Legacy gave us Wolverine and the FF back.
    I disagree with the claim is that that's all that Legacy had.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Does Legacy completely insult the last few years of Marvel comics essentially calling it all crap and pretty much belittle anyone who enjoyed those comics?
    Because that's what Rebirth did.
    Or kill a totemistic character of that previous era just to make her blood splatter match a classic comic that they were only alluding to and now seem to be pulling back from.

While I enjoyed certain moments from this... it mainly felt like a big advertisement for other books to check out. Rebirth on the other hand was that, sure, but it also felt more cohesive and like an actual story. It was building towards something and still currently is with the upcoming Doomsday Clock. This wasn't bad, but it also wasn't worth the money spent. The last page and the Two in One lead in were nice though.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Astonishing Member

If most fans prefer emo-fascist Superman and 'mental capacity of a five year old' Wonder Woman over their New52 counterparts, then most fans are idiots.

Johns went out of his way to say there was no love, legacy, etc. in the New52. Despite ample evidence to the contrary. Hell, he wrote in the New52. So if anything was wrong it was his own damn fault.
    And how is that love working out in Rebirth? I'm sure we can all be happy about that Aquaman/Mera wedding they said we'd have with Rebirth, right? Oh wait, they've done nothing but keep the two apart. Yes, that's showing a couple in love.
    Nothing in Rebirth couldn't have been done in the New52 (except maybe the terrible Superman and son crap), but Johns and DC caved in to a small number of VERY vocal whiny idiots who couldn't let go of pre-Flashpoint.

Well John's at least implied they had made errors from their perspective, and like it or not I can respect that

As for love, I don't think they meant just in the couples way - I would argue the fraternity in detective comics, between batman and batwoman, Bruce and duke, their loss of spoiler because of tims sacraficing, the new family in superman, Kal's calling batman his brother in metal 2, the exploration of wonder woman's family, the titans book is an extended family in every sense, the superman extended group coking to face Zod et al, batwoman reflections on her past relationships, barry and wallys relationship, bruce loss over tim, all reflect love, I could go on but I think that's enough from me on it

I realise some people liked the new 52, I loved dc you, which I think put me in a minority

But nothing in rebirth took away from its strengths, only reflected on them to move on, heck it's even intrinsic to the changes brought on by the missing ten years and how some connections were very cold, imo

And with respect to all fans, there was a heck of a lot of good stuff pre flash point, no need to ditch either that or new 52 ideas, and I don't think rebirth has
    Last edited by kilderkin; 09-27-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    While I enjoyed certain moments from this... it mainly felt like a big advertisement for other books to check out. Rebirth on the other hand was that, sure, but it also felt more cohesive and like an actual story. It was building towards something and still currently is with the upcoming Doomsday Clock. This wasn't bad, but it also wasn't worth the money spent. The last page and the Two in One lead in were nice though.
    Was it though? Is it fair on the audience to dance on the legacy of Moore but not actually have the guts to really use it? Especially when they seem to keep said legacy in print constantly just to cheat Moore out of ever owning it.

Astonishing Member

I agree, one big advert, some nice teases, some turn offs, some nice art, some groans

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Was it though? Is it fair on the audience to dance on the legacy of Moore but not actually have the guts to really use it? Especially when they seem to keep said legacy in print constantly just to cheat Moore out of ever owning it.
    For me. Yes. And Moore has used the legacy of many other classic writers to do the same. So it doesn't really bother me. Let's also be honest, it's kept in print because it sells. Watchmen is an evergreen property. There's no conspiracy or LETS STICK IT TO HIM shenanigans.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

For me. Yes. And Moore has used the legacy of many other classic writers to do the same. So it doesn't really bother me. Let's also be honest, it's kept in print because it sells. Watchmen is an evergreen property. There's no conspiracy or LETS STICK IT TO HIM shenanigans.
    There blatently is a fear in DC to never let it go out of print because the rights revert to him otherwise. It is very easy to let it go out of print, and it is very shrewd to keep making it relevant every few years to keep it from being a drain on their finances. That isn't a conspiracy it is just sharp practice born from a clause in a contract.

But Rebirth's use of it is pure cynicism.