Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    So, basically, there's a good chance that you either love one and hate? Did anyone like both?
    What about "Did anyone loathe both?"

Incredible Member

I think they've both been generally pretty good, but I may have enjoyed Marvel Legacy a bit more, due to my love of Esad Ribic's art and my comparetively wider knowledge of the Marvel Universe. I'm amused in the way that both were able to mine some gold from their respective past in different ways - DC by bringing back characters who truly felt like they had disappeared, and Marvel by retconning/revealing the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, who I find to be truly exciting new characters.

I will say that DC's attempt felt more sincere to me - maybe that has more to do with the press release and marketing around it. Yesterday, I read Axel Alonso say that the biggest mistake Marvel made over the last few years was (paraphrasing) "underestimating their hardcore fan's anxiety" when it comes to the absence of classic characters. Maybe nothing was meant by it, but it feels more pointed than congenial. Especially compared to the rollout DC has with rebirth, which felt very much in service of the fans. Add on top of that the "Every story is an event" tagline, which seems dangerously close to Marvel's version of "trolling" their fans. The relationship just doesn't feel right.

Anyways, great work to the creative teams on both DC Rebirth #1 and Marvel Legacy #1. I think Jason Aaron's writing is quite poetic, and good lord is Esad a talented fellow. The splash page of the Celestial blew me away.
    Last edited by Johnatellodi; 09-27-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Sam is such a hero he cheats on his girlfriend. Same could be said for Jane lusting for a man in a relationship. Goddammit Aaron. And Riri can't stand not being the center of attention.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Does Legacy completely insult the last few years of Marvel comics essentially calling it all crap and pretty much belittle anyone who enjoyed those comics?
    Because that's what Rebirth did.
    And most of the fans prefer what rebirth did.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 09-27-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I think they've both been generally pretty good, but I may have enjoyed Marvel Legacy a bit more, due to my love of Esad Ribic's art and my comparetively wider knowledge of the Marvel Universe. I'm amused in the way that both were able to mine some gold from their respective past in different ways - DC by bringing back characters who truly felt like they had disappeared, and Marvel by retconning/revealing the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, who I find to be truly exciting new characters.

I will say that DC's attempt felt more sincere to me - maybe that has more to do with the press release and marketing around it. Yesterday, I read Axel Alonso say that the biggest mistake Marvel made over the last few years was (paraphrasing) "underestimating their hardcore fan's anxiety" when it comes to the absence of classic characters. Maybe nothing was meant by it, but it feels more pointed than congenial. Especially compared to the rollout DC has with rebirth, which felt very much in service of the fans. Add on top of that the "Every story is an event" tagline, which seems dangerously close to Marvel's version of "trolling" their fans. The relationship just doesn't feel right.

Anyways, great work to the creative teams on both DC Rebirth #1 and Marvel Legacy #1. I think Jason Aaron's writing is quite poetic, and good lord is Esad a talented fellow. The splash page of the Celestial blew me away.
    The plot thread with the buried Celestial would probably have had more impact if we hadn't already had half a dozen stories involving Tiamut the Dreaming Celestial. And also the threat of a 'Final Host' would be scarier if Earth wasn't home to one Victor Von Doom, who all on his own (albeit with a bunch of stolen power) made a better showing against the Beyonders than the entire Celestial Host.

thorgi does similar comparison

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    Sam is such a hero he cheats on his girlfriend. Same could be said for Jane lusting for a man in a relationship. Goddammit Aaron. And Riri can't stand not being the center of attention.
    Does Sam have a girlfriend on the side?

Interesting characterization, if so. I think it can be exciting to have flawed characters though. It's fine line to walk because you don't want to glorify bad behavior, but sometimes we need flawed, yet still well-rounded characters to relate to - Especially if we are to watch them better themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    The plot thread with the buried Celestial would probably have had more impact if we hadn't already had half a dozen stories involving Tiamut the Dreaming Celestial. And also the threat of a 'Final Host' would be scarier if Earth wasn't home to one Victor Von Doom, who all on his own (albeit with a bunch of stolen power) made a better showing against the Beyonders than the entire Celestial Host.
    I'll take your word for that, but I'm actually not clued into the Dreaming Celestial storyline, so that may have an effect on my feelings.

Though what I really meant to convey was just how much Esad's rendition of the Celestial blew me away.
    Last edited by Johnatellodi; 09-27-2017 at 12:42 PM.

I think both are good. I think Rebirth #1 was better because, like you said, they did it first.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    And most of the fans agreed.

Actually I felt rebirth said that dc had forgotten some of the core concepts of their characters - that the new 52 whilst interesting and fun missed a few beats that were core to the dc mythos, not once did rebirth or the publisher make me feel they disregarded the new 52, more that they failed to live up to their intentions to bring new flavour and interest, which I don't think was necessarily true

But at no point did I think it or they were disrespectful to their readers

Fantastic Member

I will say it is kind of weird having Jane Foster, Riri and Sam get most of the focus for being Legacy characters when Sam is not Captain America anymore, Riri might not be headlining Iron Man anymore cause we know Tony's coming back and finally Jane if your reading Thor right now you know she might not be around as Thor in bit.

I do have to say I like DC Rebirth better for several reasons it feels more cohesive, I like that is kind of an apology to those who did not like the New 52. I like that it addresses problems that exist in that universe. I think the character that comes back has more impact than the one that does in Marvel Legacy. Finally I like that DC knowing that everyone is going to read this thing priced it to make it affordable. Marvel has no excuse for making this thing 6 dollars.

EDIT: Also when Wally comes back in DC Rebirth whatever you feel about Titans he is in a book after DC Rebirth, that is not the case with the characters who are coming back in Marvel Legacy three new books are coming out but everything else is staying the same

I really agree with Proffessor Thorgi
    Last edited by reni344; 09-27-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    I'd love to see Misty bring the fight to Jane, not caring that she's about to throw down on a god.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Actually I felt rebirth said that dc had forgotten some of the core concepts of their characters - that the new 52 whilst interesting and fun missed a few beats that were core to the dc mythos, not once did rebirth or the publisher make me feel they disregarded the new 52, more that they failed to live up to their intentions to bring new flavour and interest, which I don't think was necessarily true

Ya I need to change my sentence I worded it wrong. I meant to say majority of fans agreed with DC and want to forget about new 52

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    I will say it is kind of weird having Jane Foster, Riri and Sam get most of the focus for being Legacy characters when Sam is not Captain America anymore, Riri might not be headlining Iron Man anymore cause we know Tony's coming back and finally Jane if your reading Thor right now you know she might not be around as Thor in bit.

I do have to say I like DC Rebirth better for several reasons it feels more cohesive, I like that is kind of an apology to those who did not like the New 52. I like that it addresses problems that exist in that universe. I think the character that comes back has more impact than the one that does in Marvel Legacy. Finally I like that DC knowing that everyone is going to read this thing priced it to make it affordable. Marvel has no excuse for making this thing 6 dollars.

EDIT: Also when Wally comes back in DC Rebirth whatever you feel about Titans he is in a book after DC Rebirth, that is not the case with the characters who are coming back in Marvel Legacy three new books are coming out but everything else is staying the same

I really agree with Proffessor Thorgi
    I didn't buy the issue (way too expensive) but my store has a reader copy for customers to 'try before you buy' and I'm of a similar opinion.

Plus the entire structure was almost exactly the same as Rebirth. If you don't want people to accuse you of copying the competition, then don't make your product so damn similar in narrative structure.

A). Narration by one of the 'missing' characters from the universe.
    B). Vignettes showing how the status quo is going to go forward.
    C). Mysterious seeds of a great enemy threatening everything.

And there was no strong emotional impact in Legacy the way Barry recognizing Wally was in Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    And most of the fans agreed.
    If most fans prefer emo-fascist Superman and 'mental capacity of a five year old' Wonder Woman over their New52 counterparts, then most fans are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post

Johns went out of his way to say there was no love, legacy, etc. in the New52. Despite ample evidence to the contrary. Hell, he wrote in the New52. So if anything was wrong it was his own damn fault.
    And how is that love working out in Rebirth? I'm sure we can all be happy about that Aquaman/Mera wedding they said we'd have with Rebirth, right? Oh wait, they've done nothing but keep the two apart. Yes, that's showing a couple in love.
    Nothing in Rebirth couldn't have been done in the New52 (except maybe the terrible Superman and son crap), but Johns and DC caved in to a small number of VERY vocal whiny idiots who couldn't let go of pre-Flashpoint.
    #EmmaWasRight

Rebirth is much better. I mean you just had Star brand job to the Ghost rider.