Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Default How is the Van Helsing Comic Connected to the TV Show?

Recently stumbled across Van Helsing on Netflix, which is set after some sort of vampire apocalypse (as far as I can tell partway into episode 1). Then I learned it's based on Zenescope's Van Helsing comic series, but other than the use of vampires and the titular character, I don't see the connection. Does the comic influences pop up more as the show continues or is this another iZombie where the show and the comic share very few similarities beyond the name of the show? If so, that's a little disappointing as the comic looks pretty cool.

Isn't the show mostly just "inspired" by the comic? This little article says they're adapting some story elements from the comic, rather doing a full comic-to-screen conversion. I couldn't tell you though, I've not seen the show nor ever read a single Zenescope comic haha. In fact when I saw it pop up on Netflix I figured someone decided to adapt the Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie into a series.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Isn't the show mostly just "inspired" by the comic? This little article says they're adapting some story elements from the comic, rather doing a full comic-to-screen conversion. I couldn't tell you though, I've not seen the show nor ever read a single Zenescope comic haha. In fact when I saw it pop up on Netflix I figured someone decided to adapt the Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie into a series.
    I think you are right here. Like WitchBiade a few years ago it would be ridiculous to expect skimpy bordello costumes in a modern or Victorian era setting. The Zenescope comics are overloaded with that already and have pretty much beaten that angle to death. I like the early episodes but saw a recent episode out of sequence and think the Sam character is going to get tedious real fast . The main character is also being portrayed as almost too powerful in that episode and lost some believability to me. Still better than a lot of stuff out there. We will see.

Incredible Member

Only read 1 comic/graphic novel from Zenescope and seen a few episodes of the show and I didn't see any similarity between the two. The show looked more like a Walking Dead/Z Nation type of show.