I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Batman: Noir Alley

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/09...ce-and-digital

Anyone check this out? I managed to get a copy in my box, and it was very pretty art, but the story felt extremely paint by numbers. Really underserved by the writing.

1.jpg
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I had read about it on Bleeding Cool but hadn't gotten a chance to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I had read about it on Bleeding Cool but hadn't gotten a chance to read it.
    I'm hoping it will go up on Comixology sometime soon. It's a standalone new story by Stuart Moore with art (very nice art) by Valentine Delandro, and a preview of the old Brubaker/Phillips Gotham Noir story.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I dug it. Was totally stoked to see a Brubaker/Philips back up story, but then was saddened to find out it lead into a digital series you have to pay for. Loved the art for both stories.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I dug it. Was totally stoked to see a Brubaker/Philips back up story, but then was saddened to find out it lead into a digital series you have to pay for. Loved the art for both stories.
    Haha, it's not even a leadin - it's the first few pages from a story from over 10 years ago. Still nice to see this kind of thing get a highlight! And I agree - the are was absolutely the highlight. Very rich in shadow, as a good noir and Batman story should be. Makes me wonder if Delandro will get a main universe Batman gig sometime!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

For me that cover is what you show to any future director of a Batman movie. I always liked Panosian's work but wow, just friggin wow. Isn't the comic supposed to be some sort of advertising for a line of books? How cool it would be to have a line of mystery novels featuring Batman since modern comics/movies play down that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    For me that cover is what you show to any future director of a Batman movie. I always liked Panosian's work but wow, just friggin wow. Isn't the comic supposed to be some sort of advertising for a line of books? How cool it would be to have a line of mystery novels featuring Batman since modern comics/movies play down that aspect.
    The comic is promoting this strange VR experience thingy. I think Batman noir novels would be amazing, as long as they weren't like Wayne of Gotham. Ugh. That was terrible.

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

For me that cover is what you show to any future director of a Batman movie.
    I just ordered a copy for the cover alone. Very nice!
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

My store didn't get any copies (or at least any extra copies), so I eventually had to find a copy to read on-line. Story was . . . not spectacular, but then again, it also was promoting the TCM series of films under the Noir Alley label, so I guess it did that okay.

As for the other part, the preview from

I recently bought that as a back-issue last month and liked that story better.

Also on this line of thought, back in 1997 DC had the theme of "Pulp Heroes" for their annuals, and there was this: