Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retcon Away!

Default Retcon Away!

Inspired by the conversation about Identity Crisis and retcons...

Here's a fun project.

Retcon any scenario into DC's past. It can be Pre-Crisis past, Post-Crisis past, Post-Zero Hour past, Pre-New52 past, Post-New52 past, Post-Rebirth past... Anywhere!

The only rule is that it can't be contradicted by anything else in the era you selected and has to fit in logically. The rest of that era still happened as printed. No swapping out characters (unless they're in disguise, such as by a Skrull shapeshifter -or in this case, a Manhunter, a Durlan or a Martian).

Extra points for being wildly absurd (yet still plausible as 'it could have happened'), and for 'correcting' the writing mistakes of previous DC writers who 'obviously didn't know what they were doing' (did I mention that you're also assuming the role of a new writer with a bit of an ego?).

Don't forget to explain why the readers never knew about the event until now.

Oh, and have fun!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Retcon: NuWally's criminal origin. In it's place, what happened went like "Hi, Barry. This is my nephew Wally".

The readers saw the Venditti origin because that was told by Barry's point of view during an indigestion-induced hallucination (damn, Ollie's chilly). Prove of this is how indigest that story was.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Retcon: Wonder Woman was made of clay and had no twin brother.

Retcon Hal crashes on Themiscara and Steve Trevor's plane collides with Abin Sur

Kind of a (Bruce Died instead of Thomas and Martha so they are driving through Kansas when Kal comes crashing down and they adopt him) story
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    Retcon: Wonder Woman was made of clay and had no twin brother.
    Sounds good. Don't forget to explain why Myrina mentioned Jason or why she told Diana the story so you have no contradictions.

Maybe she was having a hallucination or fever dream and confused it with the real world as she was dying? Or maybe he's really a man that Myrina was close to and figured Diana would find and protect him?
    Or maybe someone was using Myrina as she died to relay false info to Diana, knowing that after she died there would be no way to dispute what she said?

I'll go...

Dinah Laurel Lance was really a gang member (think La Femme Nikita).
    She was taken in by the original Checkmate and trained as an assassin. When the original Checkmate was dissolved, she was brainwashed into thinking she had a mother, Dinah Drake, who was secretly Black Canary, an urban myth vigilante in the '50s and '60s. Taking up what she believed to be her mother's mantle she used her now-natural talents to be a hero worthy of her 'mother' -thus insuring the secrets of the original Checkmate would remain untold.
    The Sonic Scream was a side-effect of genetic engineering while she was an assassin.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-28-2017 at 05:11 PM.

I wouldn't retcon it, but I would have made Perez' run something like a Wonder Woman: Year One (like he intended to do), that way we could continue having Trevor as a love interest and Donna would have *still* be found by Diana when she was an infant, instead of the problem that was her origin and that kicked her out of the mythos before Byrne's half-assed retcon added her again.

Another...

Borrowing a bit from Marvel here...

It's revealed that Madame Rouge had twin girls. One that we've seen as Gemeni. The other, as yet, never before seen.
    Turns out that during the events of Justice League Breakdowns, Sue Dibny is abducted by the Secret Society of Supervillains and replaced with Gemeni's sister.
    Her sister inherited some of the mental instability of Rouge and begins to believe she's Sue. Some time after Breakdowns the Society breaks up and they forget about the imposter Sue.
    Meanwhile, the real Sue had managed to break free from her cell but on her way to find Ralph and the others, she's possessed by the spirit of the now deceased Silver Sorceress, who needs a host body for an important mission.

Sue and the Silver Sorceress spend a few years in another dimension, freeing its people from an oppressive tyrant. And time had moved faster in the physical plane.

The Sue that got killed in Identity Crisis is revealed to have been Madame Rouge's daughter when Silver Sorceress and the real Sue finally make their way back. Silver Sorceress then revives the imposter, cures her of her mental disorder, sends her spirit away to finally find peace and takes her body as her own as she leaves Sue with Ralph, who explains what all had happened to her since Breakfowns.

It would also be revealed that Silver Sorceress is in reality Sindella, Zatanna's mother, who had been keeping her identity a secret to protect Zatanna from Dreamslayer, who had become her arch-enemy while exiled on Angor.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

In the spirit of this week's DETECTIVE COMICS # 965, I'd do the original A LONELY PLACE OF DYING storyline from 1989 a little differently.

Here's what I would change:

1. Instead of Two-Face, the enemy would be the JOKER, last seen in A DEATH IN THE FAMILY after killing Robin/Jason Todd.

2. Tim Drake successfully persuades Dick Grayson to reclaim the Robin mantle...but only for ONE LAST time. Dick agrees to do it for Bruce, to snap him out of the reckless, violent streak he'd been on since Jason's death, but only for this one last time.

3. Batman and Robin (Dick Grayson, one last time) take on the Joker, but when they get trapped, it's Tim Drake (in his civilian clothes) who outsmarts the Joker and saves them. Tim saves the day by using his brains, something that does not go unnoticed by Bruce and Dick. Tim's strategic thinking and wit save the day, but in honor of Robin, Dick actually gets the physical, KO punch on the Joker.

4. Seeing Dick fight at his side as Robin again, and seeing Tim defeating the Joker through wit and strategy, persuades Bruce that perhaps he should give Robin another shot. At this point, Tim thinks Dick has decided to resume being Robin permanently, but Dick and Bruce surprise Tim by offering the role to HIM.

Afterwards, DCU history proceeds pretty much as we know it.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In the spirit of this week's DETECTIVE COMICS # 965, I'd do the original A LONELY PLACE OF DYING storyline from 1989 a little differently.

Here's what I would change:

1. Instead of Two-Face, the enemy would be the JOKER, last seen in A DEATH IN THE FAMILY after killing Robin/Jason Todd.

2. Tim Drake successfully persuades Dick Grayson to reclaim the Robin mantle...but only for ONE LAST time. Dick agrees to do it for Bruce, to snap him out of the reckless, violent streak he'd been on since Jason's death, but only for this one last time.

3. Batman and Robin (Dick Grayson, one last time) take on the Joker, but when they get trapped, it's Tim Drake (in his civilian clothes) who outsmarts the Joker and saves them. Tim saves the day by using his brains, something that does not go unnoticed by Bruce and Dick. Tim's strategic thinking and wit save the day, but in honor of Robin, Dick actually gets the physical, KO punch on the Joker.

4. Seeing Dick fight at his side as Robin again, and seeing Tim defeating the Joker through wit and strategy, persuades Bruce that perhaps he should give Robin another shot. At this point, Tim thinks Dick has decided to resume being Robin permanently, but Dick and Bruce surprise Tim by offering the role to HIM.

Afterwards, DCU history proceeds pretty much as we know it.

Mind if i ask why you consider this to be an improvement? I have read the story and loved it. And Two-Face appears to be the natural enemy of Robin. (He was also an ally of Batman but failed). I just want to hear your thoughts. Your change is very good. Not bad by any means. Simply curious.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Mind if i ask why you consider this to be an improvement? I have read the story and loved it. And Two-Face appears to be the natural enemy of Robin. (He was also an ally of Batman but failed).
    I just want to hear your thoughts. Your change is very good. Not bad by any means. Simply curious.
    I wanted the first two Robins, Dick and Jason, to get closure with the Joker as he ended both of their Robin careers (and in Jason's case, his life). In BATMAN # 408, we saw (in flashback) the end of Dick's career as Robin after the Joker shot and wounded him, freaking Bruce out enough that he fired Dick as Robin at that point (ironically paving the way for Jason to take the role some months later). Sure, Dick was grown up and ready to move on (e.g. become Nightwing), but he didn't want his Robin career to end on those terms...with a defeat and dismissed by Batman for a perceived failure. As far as Jason goes, 'nuff said about how his encounter with the Joker went.

So having Dick do one final outing as Robin...to give proper closure to that chapter of his life on his own terms, and to avenge both himself and Jason on the villain who ended both their careers as Robin, seemed like poetic justice. It would be Robin (Dick) avenging Robin (Jason). As fans, we'd be able to say farewell to Dick as Robin properly and thereby reinforce his new role as Nightwing. Moreover, for Tim to prove to Bruce that he would not befall the same fate as Jason, he had to use brains, not fisticuffs. That hardly requires Tim to wear the Robin outfit before he's even been properly trained. I think it would have been better if Tim did NOT don the Robin costume yet at that point, but first gained Bruce's and Dick's confidence that he deserved a shot at being Robin by demonstrating that unlike Jason, Tim was a cautious thinker and plotter, not a brash brawler likely to get in over his head. It would make Tim's first donning of the Robin outfit more purely earned.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 09-29-2017 at 01:35 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Resolving Trigon, pre-FP:
    Part 1: Establish he's existed for hundreds of thousands of years before being born into a physical body as detailed by the original story. Instead he has existed as a less defined presence, but still active.
    Part 2: Establish there has been contact between Trigon and other ancient entities, like having been fought off by the Titans of Myth and fought off invasion fleets of the Old Gods of the 3rd world and the later New Gods.
    Part 3: Establish that what Azar eventually did when she purged her followers of violence and cast the energy into the void, she knowingly gave Trigon a power-boost enabling him to take physical form.
    Part 4: Establish that it is holding a physical form thats keeping Trigon from moving from universe to universe as he pleases.
    Part 5: Stop beating about the bush about it. Establish that Trigon is Satan of another universe, where Hell won the war with Heaven, explaining why he has so little contact with all the other Hell-based characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I wanted the first two Robins, Dick and Jason, to get closure with the Joker as he ended both of their Robin careers (and in Jason's case, his life). In BATMAN # 408, we saw (in flashback) the end of Dick's career as Robin after the Joker shot and wounded him, freaking Bruce out enough that he fired Dick as Robin at that point (ironically paving the way for Jason to take the role some months later). Sure, Dick was grown up and ready to move on (e.g. become Nightwing), but he didn't want his Robin career to end on those terms...with a defeat and dismissed by Batman for a perceived failure. As far as Jason goes, 'nuff said about how his encounter with the Joker went.

So having Dick do one final outing as Robin...to give proper closure to that chapter of his life on his own terms, and to avenge both himself and Jason on the villain who ended both their careers as Robin, seemed like poetic justice. It would be Robin (Dick) avenging Robin (Jason). As fans, we'd be able to say farewell to Dick as Robin properly and thereby reinforce his new role as Nightwing. Moreover, for Tim to prove to Bruce that he would not befall the same fate as Jason, he had to use brains, not fisticuffs. That hardly requires Tim to wear the Robin outfit before he's even been properly trained. I think it would have been better if Tim did NOT don the Robin costume yet at that point, but first gained Bruce's and Dick's confidence that he deserved a shot at being Robin by demonstrating that unlike Jason, Tim was a cautious thinker and plotter, not a brash brawler likely to get in over his head. It would make Tim's first donning of the Robin outfit more purely earned.

Thank you so much!
    I did not know the history. So, this is how Dick's career of Robin ended. This is not how it should have ended. I have to say you have really improved the story. Especially, the part about Tim earning his costume. My love for the story stays but your story is much better. Thank you for explaining your retcon. I loved it!
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-29-2017 at 03:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

Linda Danvers of New earth actually died in Supergirl #1.

Matrix had been introduced believing she was the Pocket Earth Lana Lang. She later believed she was Superman after encountering the Eradicator. And her desire for a new identity combined with her inability to accept failure in saving the real Linda caused the creature to think she actually was Linda Danvers. All that Earth Angel stuff was simply a delusion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Linda Danvers of New earth actually died in Supergirl #1.

Matrix had been introduced believing she was the Pocket Earth Lana Lang. She later believed she was Superman after encountering the Eradicator. And her desire for a new identity combined with her inability to accept failure in saving the real Linda caused the creature to think she actually was Linda Danvers. All that Earth Angel stuff was simply a delusion.
    Good god that would be awful.