Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Constantine" Adds Zed, Teases the Spectre, Talks Smoking, Bisexuality

Angelica Celaya joins "Constantine" as Zed, while the producers teases a Spectre appearance and discusses John's smoking and bisexuality.

Full article here.

Found out the casting news about Zed yesterday, hopefully does good with the role.

Interesting notes about smoking and sexuality, whether I agree with them or not. Good to hear them anyway.

Hadn't read anything about the Spectre where I got this, but might check that out anyway. Might be a shame not to see Hal Jordan take him up, but could be interesting to see all the same.

I used to think the whole "not showing smoking onscreen" thing was silly, but I've been watching "The Leftovers" (on HBO since, it's y'know - not tv) and man, that show always makes me want to light one up...

I'm definitely interested in seeing the NBC version, but I hold true Constantine should have been an HBO or Showtime show.

All-New Member

I'm not so worried abut the smoking. Good writers can work around that, but it sounds like they may not have the best writers/casting. Doesn't sound like the female role was that well written and it seems less than edgy, more like a guy girl supernatural (don't get me wrong I love Supernatural). Hope I'm wrong and I will definitely give it a shot.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mundungus View Post
    I'm definitely interested in seeing the NBC version, but I hold true Constantine should have been an HBO or Showtime show.
    HBO or Showtime would have been the perfect place for this!

For the smoking, bisexuality, or just the atmosphere, content and tone in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    For the smoking, bisexuality, or just the atmosphere, content and tone in general?
    All of the above, plus some story arcs I would have liked to see show up in an adaptation. If I want Hellblazer-lite, there are a half-dozen places I can find it, big and small screen. Throw in another vote for this going to a less timid network. Even Netflix or a console exclusive would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by anduinel View Post
    all of the above, plus some story arcs i would have liked to see show up in an adaptation. If i want hellblazer-lite, there are a half-dozen places i can find it, big and small screen. Throw in another vote for this going to a less timid network. Even netflix or a console exclusive would have been better.

agreed! 100%

My give a damn's busted Kevin T Brown's Avatar

They can always work around his smoking by never showing him actually smoking. Doing things like fading into a scene where he's tossing away the butt, pulling out a pack to grab one and then getting interrupted, him just sitting there with a lit cigarette in his hand, or just hearing the flick of a lighter going off before they fade to the next scene.

As for the casting announcements, I'm especially excited to hear about Corrigan! Nice to know they're back to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T Brown View Post
    They can always work around his smoking by never showing him actually smoking. Doing things like fading into a scene where he's tossing away the butt, pulling out a pack to grab one and then getting interrupted, him just sitting there with a lit cigarette in his hand, or just hearing the flick of a lighter going off before they fade to the next scene.

As for the casting announcements, I'm especially excited to hear about Corrigan! Nice to know they're back to the original.
    For me that would just draw more attention to the fact that he can't smoke on TV. It's like sex scenes with the conveniently placed blankets or weird camera angles that bring you out of the moment because the actors look ridiculous trying to cover up the implied nudity. I think in Constantine's case just not having him smoke at all would be better than trying to be clever and leaving little hints.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Extraordinary Member

I'm really stoked by this.

Spectacular Member

Agreed. We're going to get watered down pap here. The show should look, film wise, something like X-files/Millenium (at least the way it's shot and presented), with more sex, magic, and cursing.
    Last edited by Zagreus; 07-14-2014 at 10:54 AM.

All-New Member

I read all 300 issues and all the annuals a few years back and I have no recollection of him being Bisexual? Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovecomics View Post
    I read all 300 issues and all the annuals a few years back and I have no recollection of him being Bisexual? Strange.
    Maybe it was implied, or an interpretation of what was presented?

Or, could be like Holmes and Watson - subtext, to be interpreted, by what's said, and what's there.

I don't know, as I'm only as far into Hellblazer as the start of this arc where Demons are buying up real estate, after this arc with a hunger spirit/Demon, Mnemoth, so didn't see much there so far, anyway.