Incredible Member

Default Daenerys Targaryen with her Three Dragons vs Smaug

So Dany decides to invade Erebor awakening a sleeping Smaug. How does she fair with Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion going against the intelligent Dragon.

This is the show and live action movie version respectively.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Smaug annihilates them. He's bigger than all three dragons put together, more or less ignored being dipped in boiling gold, and could snap trees in half with the flaps of his wings.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

As much as I hate talking about the movies, he also did stuff like smash through the Dwarven fortifications with ease. Said Dwarven fortifications were made of granite, and rather thick.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiggle View Post
    So Dany decides to invade Erebor awakening a sleeping Smaug. How does she fair with Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion going against the intelligent Dragon.

This is the show and live action movie version respectively.
    This is actually not an easy pick for me. At first I was like "Smaug crushes them duh" but then I got to thinking a bit.

As Sharp said, Smaug should have a huge advantage in the physical strength department. They should play keep away.

A few factors that make it close for me. The melting point of gold is only 1064°C. Relatively low for a metal. Smaug shrugged this off but did appear to be in at least some discomfort, gasping and moaning and the like. I believe GoT dragon fire is MUCH MUCH hotter than 1064C.

For example, human bone kept at 1000C for a full 2 hours is still mostly recognisable albeit brittle. Drogon's fire was turning armored soldiers into /solid ash/ in seconds flat in the loot train scene, despite having all that pesky moist meat protecting them.

https://youtu.be/AUhFO8xtW5k
    Watch at 6:35 and you will see the best example of it. His whole skull gets turned to ash and blows in the wind. This is one of several scenes showcasing this, so its not inconsistent. That's instant ash, through and through despite the meats moisture and the armor itself. That is so much hotter than molten gold, its not even funny.

GoT dragons also have absurd fire resistance. They literally enjoy lighting the ground on fire before sleeping on it, and igniting their meals before eating them still burning. Daenarys herself is supposed to be dragon level fireproof. The only time fire has ever hurt a dragon in GoT should be the Doom of Valyria. And by all accounts, that was less fire in nature and more of a terrible Pyrochlastic Eruption.

I don't remember Smaugs fire ever doing anything more impressive than burning wood houses. Did he ever insta ash a person? I don't remember. He also has a plot device weak spot and such.

The way I see it, he has to catch and grapple the smaller dragons to kill them. Kiting from 3 angles, clawing at his wings and using MUCH hotter fire than molten gold and honestly he might be in serious trouble.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Smaug doesn't stop yapping until Daenerys gets sick of him talking and either leaves or commits suicide.

Smaug simply did not shut up in the Desolation.

That's what happens when you pad out one short novel into three very long movies. In the first adaptation this speech lasted less than two minutes. In the live-action movie, bits of it are carved up and divided among a bunch more sentences.