Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Creating the greatest democracy on Earth and then completely squandering it.
    Wasnt those thw greeks?

People actually do have a nuanced view of Americans.

Overall, Americans are seen more positively than the U.S. as a country. Across the nations polled, a median of 58% say they have a favorable impression of Americans. Positive views are especially common in Asia and Europe. They are less common, however, in the Middle East – Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon are the only nations polled where majorities express an unfavorable opinion of Americans.
    It is, ironically, a caricature to assume people simply caricature us.

Man, can't believe i forgot that one. Good ol' greed of course and the overall American obsession with the only real god, Dollar.

Now Americans certainly didn't invent greed nor have they a monopoly on that, hell no, but my dear friends you sure perfected the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Lousy chocolate
    Good call. Their chocolate is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Good call. Their chocolate is terrible.
    I tried their 'Cadbury' chocolate. Ugh.

Protip - if your only choice is between crappy milk chocolate and crappy dark chocolate, always go for the dark.

I love our crappy dark chocolate

I would say we are known for McDonald's.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post

Protip - if your only choice is between crappy milk chocolate and crappy dark chocolate, always go for the dark.
    Isn't that a little like going to France and judging their bread quality by what you get at their McDonalds? I can't speak for the US experience, but they sell Cadbury chocolate in supermarkets and convenience stores here in Canada. I'm not saying it's terrible, but if you're looking for above average chocolate why would you choose Cadbury?

Also, I believe Cadbury is technically a UK company.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Cadbury chocolate is quite good here in Australia. It's not very good at all in the US. That was the basis for my comparison.

I have had good chocolate in the US. Just not Cadbury.

Most of modern pop culture you're welcome world or not depending if you hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Cadbury's used to be okay in Britain, but the quality has dropped since they were bought by Americans. It's still way better than Hershey's though.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Isn't that a little like going to France and judging their bread quality by what you get at their McDonalds? I can't speak for the US experience, but they sell Cadbury chocolate in supermarkets and convenience stores here in Canada. I'm not saying it's terrible, but if you're looking for above average chocolate why would you choose Cadbury?
    The difference is that in the UK (and across Europe I think) they have strict standards on what is allowed to be sold as Chocolate. Standard American bars don't even meet that standard, so Hershey's and the like have to be sold as "chocolate flavour candy". Even the cheapo own brand value chocolate is actually quite edible here by comparison.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Being the #1 superpower is what we're known for the most. Everything else is secondary, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

If you're talking about Ben Franklin then no, he discovered nothing of the sort, his work only helped establish the connection between lightning and electricity.

Actually electricity was already known since the ancient Greeks. (static)

The first automobile? I don't think so. The first steam-powered self-propelled vehicle was invented by the French, the first internal combustion engined vehicle by the Swiss, and the first commercial gasoline powered car by the Germans.

Light bulb? First patent for an incandescent light bulb was awarded to Englishman John W. Starr in 1841. And Englishman Thomas Swann has just as much claim to the commercial light bulb as Edison.

Motion picture camera? Englishman Wordsworth Donithorpe in 1871.

Motion picture? Depends what you mean. As we still have some of Donithorpe's footage, then that is probably the first motion picture. If you mean film exhibited for profit, then the American probably beat the French by a few weeks. If you mean feature film, then that's Soldiers of the Cross, made in Australia in 1901.

And let's not even get into the subject of electricity.

Or are things not invented until an American claims to have done so?
    Last edited by foxley; 10-09-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    The first automobile? I don't think so. The first steam-powered self-propelled vehicle was invented by the French, the first internal combustion engined vehicle by the Swiss, and the first commercial gasoline powered car by the Germans.

Light bulb? First patent for an incandescent light bulb was awarded to Englishman John W. Starr in 1841. And Englishman Thomas Swann has just as much claim to the commercial light bulb as Edison.

Motion picture camera? Englishman Wordsworth Donithorpe in 1871.

Motion picture? Depends what you mean. As we still have some of Donithorpe's footage, then that is probably the first motion picture. If you mean film exhibited for profit, then the American probably beat the French by a few weeks. If you mean feature film, then that's Soldiers of the Cross, made in Australia in 1901.

And let's not even get into the subject of electricity.

Or are things not invented until an American claims to have done so?
    The question isn't what did Americans actually do. It's what are they known for. Truth is almost irrelevant.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Edison created the first practical light bulb, which is why he's remembered for it and the others are not.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?