Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default How much alien, how much human, how much...?

So the other day I read two comics back to back. Action Comics #988 centered around the conflict between Kryptonian arrogance and the savagery of Earth on both an acute and historical scale. Superman is currently stuck in the role of mediator, as a Kryptonian human.

DC Special Series #5 is a 64 page story where Superman must fulfill the prophecy of his own second coming despite a Lex/Brainiac plot to literally kick his ass so hard that not a single erg of energy is left in his body.

I love this kind of thing because to me, Superman is a normal guy. An earthling from Krypton. He is Kryptonian, but that more or less puts him in the same boat as any other refugee from the last 80 years, and he's spent at least 3/4 of his life in the middle of America. These bizarre happenings would go right above him, but since he can fly he ends up rolling with them.

Superman is the front runner for superheroes, north American myths that have him rub shoulders with Hercules and Thor. And so he ends up creating more miracles on accident than other characters make intentionally throughout their printed history. What does that make him to you? Obviously he's fully representative of different things, like how no man is only part husband and part father, but from which direction does your perspective lean?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

It's funny you mention the gods, because when I think of the gods, I think of them as humans at their worst in someways. Sure they are all powerful but they are jealous, vindictive, petty, lustful, and self important.

When I think of Superman, I think of him transcending those weaknesses. In a sense, I think of him as entirely human, but human in it's most ideal sense. Granted, there are tons of stories where Superman does seem like he is acting out our own foibles but I see him as human in the best sense of the word, and in a way us normal folks can only aspire to be like.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

He's all of the above. He's a normal guy insomuch as we all are "normal" people. His normal is different but recognizable to our personal normals much the same way that everyone else's is relative to our own. You walk your dog around a park, and Superman walks his dog around Saturn. Him dealing with anxiety, loneliness, fear, loss of confidence, pride, love, joy, paranoia, and heartbreak are all done in ways unique to him and his unique scale and life, but it's all still the same sh!t we deal with on a basic level.

I honestly don't think it's anymore complex than that at a basic level. Even the duality of Superman and Clark, as nuanced and thoughtful as it potentially should be, is simply just the expression of a very specific guy navigating the world and people around him.

In the most basic terms--without adding in too many nuanced specifics and personal feelings--that's how I believe the character should always function.

Fundamentally though, I flatly believe the idea that Superman is "just work"--no matter how much he says it fulfills him or whatever--is ultimately shortchanging the character.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    He's all of the above. He's a normal guy insomuch as we all are "normal" people.
    Yeah, that's part of my example above. Like how being husband to Lois doesn't divide his role as father to Jon.

But for example, a segment of readers grew up with his name listed as "Clark Superman Kent." I'm interested in who it is that readers met and who they know. Does he go into a restaurant asking fir goofy foods because his taste is different, or does he have craving for good old foods like rhubarb pie?

Jerry Siegel himself, in the back of the issue I reference, decides Superman can't be married because that's for normal people. The character does transcend his imagination, but that one opinion can't have been uncommon

fundamentally though, I flatly believe the idea that Superman is "just work"--no matter how much he says it fulfills him or whatever--is ultimately shortchanging the character.
    Agreed. I don't think responsibility is a concept that fully covers how he uses his time and power.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But for example, a segment of readers grew up with his name listed as "Clark Superman Kent." I'm interested in who it is that readers met and who they know. Does he go into a restaurant asking fir goofy foods because his taste is different, or does he have craving for good old foods like rhubarb pie?
    Probably depends on what he's feeling in the mood for that day, I'd imagine. I very much believe that Superman's idea of chilling out and passing the time is listening to alien super harmonic music in Clark's apartment while he watches sun spots fizzle and pop with his super vision. I also think he likes to ride his bicycle on the weekends, and marathon old movies at Jimmy's place. Growing up on Earth or not, he likes what he likes.

When I read those old stories where Superman just out of the blue decides to show his friends some strange new invention, new areas of the Fortress, or cool discovery I don't see weirdness for the sake of weirdness. I see a guy who's a little more self conscious and introspective than he wants to let on trying to connect with the people around him and have them think well of him. He was always caught in the middle of worrying if he was too alien and strange to be accepted, or becoming too ordinary and mundane to be liked. That might sound like the alien problems of an alien, but take a quick look at current culture and its seemingly eternal battle with being and individual but also being accepted as a part of a whole. Superman's duality and regular bouts with existential crisis are not that different from everyone else's lives. His sh!t is just played bigger. You don't need to have him say pretzels are his favorite food to get across the idea that he's "normal." It's all relative.

Jerry Siegel himself, in the back of the issue I reference, decides Superman can't be married because that's for normal people.
    Superman being married has become more and more complicated to me as I read on and read back issues. To go into it would warrant an essay. But what I will say is that I don't think Maggin's triangle for two is antiquated or non applicable to modern Superman, more specifically married Superman. The crux of said triangle is the idea that Superman loves what and who Clark is and what he allows him to do. Lois wrapping her mind around this concept and loving this strange man is a fascinating notion in my book. The wrinkles that come from little hints of Maggin would enhance the marriage in my humble opinion. It would also dovetail back into the main idea of Superman being a "normal" guy believe it or not. It's the dramatization of two very specific people's worlds colliding and trying to coexist as something a little new. The wrinkle of Superman "loving" Clark and Clark loving Lois adds texture to the whole thing, I feel.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-28-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I like Superman to be more out there than mundane.

The above is one of my favorite panels of Superman.

I love it when he says 'I am from Kansas'.

Mind you i am neither from Kansas nor America. Why i love this is very simple. This panel makes me think that he belongs to me. He belongs to everyone of us. This gives a feeling of comfort. He feels like he is my own family. I can say that Superman belongs to humanity.

He does not resent humans for all our failings. He does not look down upon us as ants or pets. He thinks he is one of us. How can i not love this? This is beautiful. He has received love from us. He is happy here. And i want him to be happy.

I see a panel like this.

This is beautiful too. He has the same feelings as us. But he does everything in his own unique way. An 'Everyman' who does things in a completely different level. In the same series he was wearing Kryptonian formal wear for a date with Lois in his Fortress of Solitude. This is nice. While he thinks himself as human he tries to respect and cherish his Kryptonian heritage. He knows he is Kryptonian too. (In that panel with Lobo, he spoke in anger. It does not give the whole picture).

So, i agree with Superlad, ultimately Superman and Clark Kent are one and the same. Different aspects of the same person. I love it when he says i am human. I love it when he expresses himself in such unique ways. Ultimately this is not a debate. I simply express my preference. I love it when he says i am human. Superman is mine. I can say this when i read that panel.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-28-2017 at 10:13 PM.

BANNED

What does it mean to be alien in the first place?

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    It means being placed by a face hugger inside of a living organism where you have to grow, burst out of someone's chest and grow to kill and protect the queen.

On a serious note, scientifically alien means something that came to the planet from space, something that wasn't born here. Socially wise it means foreigner, a person whose behavior doesn't follow social normality. Hell, people consider someone alien if he is from other country, other continent, other skin color or a geek.

Superman is an alien who gives a whole new definition to what it means to be human.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    It means being placed by a face hugger inside of a living organism where you have to grow, burst out of someone's chest and grow to kill and protect the queen.

On a serious note, scientifically alien means something that came to the planet from space, something that wasn't born here. Socially wise it means foreigner, a person whose behavior doesn't follow social normality. Hell, people consider someone alien if he is from other country, other continent, other skin color or a geek.

Superman is an alien who gives a whole new definition to what it means to be human.
    I mean what kind of personality and mindset constitutes as alien as opposed to human.

You ask difficult questions don't you?

My answer was based on the assumption that i understand what it means to be an alien.

As for me i gave the answer based on the dictionary. Alien means being from a separate planet. It also means to belong to a different country. (Whoever is reading let me inform that i am not getting political. This is in the dictionary. )

Based on this i said if he thinks himself more Kryptonian he is more alien. If he thinks himself more of Earth he is more human. He is living in a planet different from his origin.

If i shift to America, i may not introduce myself as American. But if i have lived for years in America and assimilated the lifestyle of an American i may start thinking myself as an American.

There is a very crude example in the movie Django Unchained. It gives an example of how a person changes on living within her surroundings and influenced by her life experiences. There is the role of Samuel L. Jackson named Stephen, a slave of Candie played by Leonardo Di Caprio. Even though Stephen is a black and a slave, he often behaves like his white master. He is cruel to other slaves and loyal to his master.

So, it is about Superman's thought pattern and personality. It is not a big deal for him that is he an alien or human. He is a man of action. He is a combination of both. He naturally thinks himself as human due to his upbringing. But he is trying to understand from time to time what it means to be Kryptonian.

Silver Age Superman was somewhat different. He left Krypton after a few years. He had memory of that life. So, naturally he identifies more with Krypton. Not a bad thing by any means. He is still the protector of Earth and won't ever abandon his job as Superman. The same kind and compassionate hero we know and love. A minor change in thought patterns and personality.

Supergirl is a good example of being an alien. After Rebirth the initial issues showed her trying to adjust to her new life as well as missing her old life. I would consider her thinking and personality as alien. The food, the room decorations, the technology all made her miss Krypton. She missed her family, friends and her old life. A feeling of not belonging here but trying to live with it. She was delighted to meet her cousin in Supergirl #8. Immediately breaking into her language of Kryptonian. This is how aliens behave. (Those who are reading mind that alien is not something with a negative meaning, but is a state of life away from the place of origin).

Superman is the example of someone who has assimilated his life as a human. He feels this is his home. He does not miss an old life because he never had one. He is perfectly fine with his surroundings, his friends and family. He does not reject his old life though. He is curious as well as desirous to experience a life he never had. He also wants to respect and preserve his heritage. But his alien nature is not as acute as Supergirl.

Superman of Silver Age whose adventures are printed upto COIE is a completely different person. Someone who is familiar with that material can explain him more. In the present books writers are bringing back a lot of Silver Age concepts. So, my explanation of his personality is not wholly accurate. It gives an overall picture, not the details. If there is a Superman expert she can give a completely different explanation and may yet be right. Onus is on the writers who write him.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-29-2017 at 01:57 AM.

It is a directional term. In a general sense, it's having different priorities and values than the questioning audience. Like how people thought Byrne's Krypton was ugly, heartless, and sterile... even though the point was that to them, those different fashions and facets of culture were beautiful and superior. They were aliens, hair is nice looking to us and horrifying to them. And even if we can sort of understand that thinking if we try, being so far apart from them means we don't really have to.

The easiest thing is comparing Krypton to another country, but that's an extremely limited view. Things like how Superman goes about lying to people all day every day can take on a different context if they simply tie the idea to a scapegoat culture that we never really have to understand. The behavior he exhibits can be alien.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    It's funny you mention the gods, because when I think of the gods, I think of them as humans at their worst in someways. Sure they are all powerful but they are jealous, vindictive, petty, lustful, and self important.
    Yeah, it's funny how he can be like "I'm not one of those guys" when he sees the pantheon, but then be just as capable with less human drawbacks than a good chunk of them. In story there's been a cool impression that Diana, surrounded by gods and godlike beings, doesn't really separate Superman from the type she knows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    In a general sense, it's having different priorities and values than the questioning audience. Like how people thought Byrne's Krypton was ugly, heartless, and sterile... even though the point was that to them, those different fashions and facets of culture were beautiful and superior. They were aliens, hair is nice looking to us and horrifying to them. And even if we can sort of understand that thinking if we try, being so far apart from them means we don't really have to.

The easiest thing is comparing Krypton to another country, but that's an extremely limited view. Things like how Superman goes about lying to people all day every day can take on a different context if they simply tie the idea to a scapegoat culture that we never really have to understand. The behavior he exhibits can be alien.
    As a society or civilization, I can see how things like that can be alien as it differs greatly from how Earth's culture at large, but as the behavior of one person such as Superman, I wouldn't consider it making him more alien.

While the majority of people would consider such behavior bizarre, as it differs greatly from the norm, people on Earth are also prone to such behavior even if it is rare. I don't think people are less human because the behavior the behavior they exhibit is rare. That's really why I struggle with the concept of Superman being more alien or more human.

I understand what people mean by it, but I feel the phrasing is off.

I'm curious what people feel about him saying stuff like "Great Krypton!" Or "Rao give me strength." I kinda like it, as gives an essentric quirkiness I guess. Though I have no idea how he'd pick up that kind of habit.

Astonishing Member

To me Superman is unique. He isn't a Kryptonian or a human because he grew up with abilities neither of them had.

Did anyone else on Earth have skin that was impervious to damage or muscles that could tear apart any restraint? Just what is it like when you know no one can use physical means to "punish" you? They can't give you a spanking or lock you in a jail cell.

Did Kara or Zod have to create names for parts of the electromagnetic spectrum only they could see? How do you relate to other people when they are literally deaf and blind to 90% of what you are aware of. When you can't even describe things to them because they lack the frame of reference to understand what you are saying. They see the same shade of yellow but you see a "hot" yellow when an object has been sitting in the sun for hours and a "cold" yellow when the same object sits in the shade for hours. Or knowing the smell air that has no oxygen?

Clark Kent is someone who grew up seeing the world from a perspective no one else could and unable to communicate that fact both because no one else could share the experience and because he was suppose to hide his differences.