BANNED

Default Clone Saga Appreciation Thread

The Clone Saga gets a lot of hate but there were brilliant things within it nevertheless. Spread your love for the era.

BANNED

-It gave us Kaine and Ben obviously
    -It gave us Ock's first realization of Peter's identity (and teased he'd become a frenemy)
    -The Lost Years and Redemption
    -It gave us Deliah
    -Jessica Carridane (is it Jurgens that holds up Marvel using her or something?)
    -Gave us a roller coaster of a marriage depiction...ups and downs, but left you with a positive experience
    -It had the kahoonas to kill off Aunt May in one of the last truly meaningful anniversary issues
    -It gave us Spider-Girl.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-29-2017 at 09:56 AM.

I liked the Spider-Man: The Animated Series' take on the Clone Saga .

"This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

"It gets worse"

...Oh it does indeed Ben...for you.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Some great things about the Clone Saga IMO, establishing Ben Reilly & Kaine as their own characters, not just clones of Peter Parker Ben's defeating Venom, Ben's costume as Spider-Man & Death of Aunt May was well done
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

One kinda cool thing that tends to get overlooked is the way writers made an effort to change Spidey's relationships with other characters when Ben wore the mask. His uneasy alliance with the Green Goblin was a personal favorite of mine, but I'm also thinking of that issue where Ben gets along great with Sandman yet finds himself at odds with the Human Torch.

-Pav, who thought it was a fun thing to do...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    "It gets worse"

...Oh it does indeed Ben...for you.
    And it ended with a team of Peter Parkers (plus one actor) gathered from the Multiverse to stop the total annihilation of reality itself, which was ultimately achieved by just finding a still-living Uncle Ben and sending him to talk some sense into the deranged Peter Parker they were trying to stop. Simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking, though I always wondered what happened to the 90s animated Ben Reilly after he was returned to his own universe; that New York was still a bombed-out urban wasteland and the survivors wouldn't be likely to take too kindly to any Spider-Man swinging around after what his twin did.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Let's see:

1)Kaine
    2)Animated Adaptation
    3) Well, yeah, there's Ben, but the Ultimate Spider-Man animated Ben wasn't half-bad either, he is dressed like Kaine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Wolfram & Hart View Post
    Some great things about the Clone Saga IMO, establishing Ben Reilly & Kaine as their own characters, not just clones of Peter Parker Ben's defeating Venom, Ben's costume as Spider-Man & Death of Aunt May was well done
    Cosigned, although overall I feel the storyline was a mess which is too bad.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

The panel that rocked the comic world:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

I liked the second half of the Clone Saga where Ben took over as Spider-Man. I liked the friendship and trust between Peter, Mary Jane, and Ben. They really felt like a family.
    I liked the Daily Grind cast of characters.
    I liked Kaine and his 90's costume.
    I also like Spidercide, and felt that he could have been a great tragic villain.
    I like Ben's death with his line about him wanting Peter to tell his daughter about her "Uncle Ben".

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And it ended with a team of Peter Parkers (plus one actor) gathered from the Multiverse to stop the total annihilation of reality itself, which was ultimately achieved by just finding a still-living Uncle Ben and sending him to talk some sense into the deranged Peter Parker they were trying to stop. Simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking, though I always wondered what happened to the 90s animated Ben Reilly after he was returned to his own universe; that New York was still a bombed-out urban wasteland and the survivors wouldn't be likely to take too kindly to any Spider-Man swinging around after what his twin did.
    I just realized that 90s animated spiderman event/episode reminds me of Spiderverse.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

There was a lot I liked during the Clone Saga. The Onslaught story where they fought the Sentinels was cool, Cybergoblin was cool, and a lot of other stories.

When I was getting into Spidey, a lot of people would just warn me to stay away from it altogether. A lot of it is just...all over the place, but it definitely has some really good stuff mixed in.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    I just realized that 90s animated spiderman event/episode reminds me of Spiderverse.
    It was Spider-Verse before Spider-Verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    There was a lot I liked during the Clone Saga. The Onslaught story where they fought the Sentinels was cool, Cybergoblin was cool, and a lot of other stories.

When I was getting into Spidey, a lot of people would just warn me to stay away from it altogether. A lot of it is just...all over the place, but it definitely has some really good stuff mixed in.
    Yeah, that's kind of my story, too. I started with the 90s cartoon, but one of my friends also had some comics of the same period, and when I checked them out, I was very curious about Ben Reilly. I even bought some back issues when I was a teenager from the Clone Saga, just because I wanted to see for myself, and it wasn't quite as bad to me as everyone said.
    The spider is always on the hunt.