Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default Things that never quite made sense?

Anyone who has read comics for any length of time comes across them. Things that just make you scratch your head and ask why. I am not talking about big things like why doesn't so and so just kill that villain or why don't they join that team. I am talking little things that when you think about it make no sense.

For me it is why do the Inhumans wear masks? Marvel has gotten better about it since the recent Inhumans push, but in the past it was just weird always seeing them wear masks even when they were just around Attilan. Black Bolt especially always wearing that full head mask makes absolutely no sense unless they have changed it and it something he has to wear around.

Everyone has got something go ahead and tell us what confuses you.

the Eternals and Olympians coexisting.

Where Bruce Banner always seemed to find a pair of purple pants. Even as a kid it broke my sense of immersion.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Where Bruce Banner always seemed to find a pair of purple pants. Even as a kid it broke my sense of immersion.
    my personal theory is that the Hulk leaks radiation. and it's this radiation that turns the pants purple. they might have started out grey or something.

the stone age Avengers don't make any sense to me.

Invincible Member

The first issue of the Avengers...the Hulk is hiding out at a circus pretending to be a robot? And how is it that on the last page Loki is standing on a trap door to a lead lined tank? Where are they even supposed to be at?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    my personal theory is that the Hulk leaks radiation. and it's this radiation that turns the pants purple. they might have started out grey or something.
    I've actually read that before. But it was always easier for me to believe that Bruce just likes purple and goes somewhere to buy pants like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I actually read that theory long ago, but I don't remember if it was a reply from an editor in a letters page or a fan theory. I choose to not go with it simply because I hate the idea of the Hulk leaking radiation (he'd be deadly to anyone around him, which I dislike). I could accept it if somehow it was 'harmless radiation' (lol) that only affected the color of his pants. I know how ridiculous that sounds, but then, it's a guy who turns into a giant green monster, right?

And of course Bruce was pictured wearing intact purple pants prior to transformation. It just never sat right with me.

I also choose to ignore the fact that Cap's shield could be hidden beneath a button-up shirt back in the day but in my personal behind-the-scenes headcanon he had Hank whip up some Pym Particles to manage its size. Yes, it's stupid but it's the only way I can look at scenes of 70's Cap hiding the shield beneath his clothes. I also have my own personal headcanon for how Batman vanishes like that (he secretly uses JLA teleporter tech to pull it off sometimes when it's just too unacceptable that he completely vanished and has no superhuman abilities).

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The first issue of the Avengers...the Hulk is hiding out at a circus pretending to be a robot? And how is it that on the last page Loki is standing on a trap door to a lead lined tank? Where are they even supposed to be at?

Yeah, it can be fun reading some of the ancient stuff, man. I want what some of those guys were smoking, especially in the writing room or whatever when they were doing 1950's Captain America.

Invincible Member

Avengers 57-58. An evil robot builds another robot and sends him to kill you. After a minor skirmish you talk the 2nd robot down and somehow trust him enuff let him join your team a day later.

My long standing one is the undoing of a marriage that has been loved for so long via a literal deal with the devil and not even trying to undo the damage done despite everyone wanting it back.

The current one, making Robbie Reyes and actual GR instead of using the ones in existence, like Alejandra Jones.

Ben Reilly or Kaine being able to be unmasked anywhere in New York (or really anywhere these days). Sure Kaine's face may be scarred but they still both have Peter's exact face.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Avengers 57-58. An evil robot builds another robot and sends him to kill you. After a minor skirmish you talk the 2nd robot down and somehow trust him enuff let him join your team a day later.
    Yeah, Vision should've at least required some reprogramming.

Hulkling's existence. It was mentioned in another thread that he was born in the Kree/Skrull War. For him to be the age he is (19 or 20), that war would have to be before the Fantastic Four's debut, but it's not (it was in Avengers 89-97). So he's older than he ought to be, since that should make him no older than 12. Wiccan and Speed are older than they should be too but at least Scarlet Witch reality warping can explain them. Teddy can't be handwaved the same way.

Franklin Richards has the opposite problem. He was born in a 1960s Fantastic Four comic, so he shouldn't still be eight years old. Especially not when the Power Pack, who used to be his peers, have aged. He also should be 12.

Ant-Man's decision to join the Guardians of the Galaxy. He's leaving his daughter behind, after working so hard in his last solo to be able to spend time with her, as her mother was trying to keep them apart.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

1. The Eternals demographics and population dynamics, or lack thereof.

2. Thanos, Death fanatic, having children. He should be naturally sterile, thus adding to his long list of reasons why he abhors life.

3. Why Zeus had so many affairs and bastard offspring from countless dalliances, but Hera never crept out on him? Not once? In eons upon eons???? Riiiiiiiiiight. (Is it too late to make Angela the lovechild of Hera and Odin?)

4. What was the point again of pairing with Gaea, if Thor was going to need a hammer and possibly the Odin Force to really replace his father? Odin could have just knocked up anyone, given that child a hammer and the Odin Force and had the same result. (They really should have used Thor's time spent as Unworthy to focus on the incredible powers that he gets from his mother.)

5. As a kid I used to think that if the Thing tried to pick his tiny little nose with those giant rock fingers of his, he'd look like Morbius. So why doesn't his nose look like Morbius'?

6. I'm still trying to figure out how Spider-Man punched Firelord without having his fists explode into flames. And considering that Firelord generates the heat, light and RADIATION of a miniature sun, why doesn't Peter now glow in the dark?
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-29-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Star-Lord going from Star-Lord to diet Chris Pratt.