Default Themyscira vs Wakanda

Should Themyscira be DC’s version of wakanda? An entire island of island filled with technology built and sent straight from Hephaestus? Weapons that specialize for battle with Kryptonians, Lanterns, and new gods? Also some type of temple to communicate with the amazons of the dead? Like Hippolyta’s mother and maybe Antiope?

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Should Themyscira be DC’s version of wakanda? An entire island of island filled with technology built and sent straight from Hephaestus? Weapons that specialize for battle with Kryptonians, Lanterns, and new gods? Also some type of temple to communicate with the amazons of the dead? Like Hippolyta’s mother and maybe Antiope?
    Somebody has too much free time.

Themyscira should be Themyscira. Why in Hades' name would you want to want to copy an idea from Marvel that really has NOTHING to do with the Wonder Woman mythos/history?

Themscyra should start by stopping to be a sexist nation first, then it can sort out what it wants to be (if possible, leaning more to the mythological). But first, segregation based on gender as to stop there for it to be a place to be looked at with awe and reverence.

Mighty Member

I think Themyscira is fine as it is outside of there being no way for Diana to visit when she needs/wants to.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Somebody has too much free time.

Themyscira should be Themyscira. Why in Hades' name would you want to want to copy an idea from Marvel that really has NOTHING to do with the Wonder Woman mythos/history?
    Themyscira was doing the "Hidden nation with advanced technology" thing before Wakanda. That was more or less how Themyscira was in the original Golden Age comics.

As for whether or not it should have advanced technology nowadays: ABSOLUTELY. The perpetually bronze aged Amazons are an absolute blight on Wonder Woman's character, and needs to be jettisoned from the canon immeadiately

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Themyscira was doing the "Hidden nation with advanced technology" thing before Wakanda. That was more or less how Themyscira was in the original Golden Age comics.

As for whether or not it should have advanced technology nowadays: ABSOLUTELY. The perpetually bronze aged Amazons are an absolute blight on Wonder Woman's character, and needs to be jettisoned from the canon immeadiately
    Dont they have advanced tech? I remember them turning the plane invisible during the year one arc unless that was meant to be magic.

I definitely would like to see the Amazons of Themyscira in the comics be scientists, doctors, technologists, etc. that has allowed them to grow and evolve as a society - similar to how they had tech in the Golden Age and updated Steve's plane to be cloaked in Year One.

Some Amazons should be great a tech and some Amazons at magic. Just make them a reflection of how the outside DCU world works - some humans are scientists and some humans are attuned to magic. The reason they're advanced is they've had relative peace and harmony over the millennia they've been on Themyscira and that's allowed them to pursue ideas and theories more quickly and to better effect.

Past some technological advances that are different or seem miraculous to ours in Man's World, I don't think the Amazons need to be compared to the Wakandans.

It kind of bugs me that the Atlanteans kind of took over the Amazons gig in the DCU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Wakanda already is Marvel's version of Golden Age themyscira.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'd like that a more sci-fi Paradise Island become a thing among writers/artists. It seems that no one like this kind of depiction of Themyscira except for Morrison.

Incredible Member

In terms of whether or not I would like Themyscira to be a peaceful, hidden nation with advanced technology (developed by Amazons, perhaps with a dash of magic / mysticism thrown into the mix) and it's own incredibly unique culture and history - yes I would!

It's very disappointing that they've been devolved into an almost solely "warrior" focused race who have not developed in any meaningful way since the moment when Themyscira was created thousands of years ago. Hopefully the next time the Amazons are rebooted, they'll be more similar to Wakandans (although everyone will then assume that DC is copying Marvel, which is not the case).

I agree that the Amazons shouldn't be stuck in a certain time period. However, I don't want to have the Amazons actually want to be sexists. Rather at first but with the help of some of the gods guidance but some gods should be the reason that Ares could leave men to their deaths or something that causes the Amazons not to allow men on the Island

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I'd like that a more sci-fi Paradise Island become a thing among writers/artists. It seems that no one like this kind of depiction of Themyscira except for Morrison.

I didn't read the Earth One book, but . . . no.
    Why the hell don't you just blow up Themyscira than change it this drastically?!?
    Aren't there enough other futuristic scientific "paradise" island societies in comic books already?!?

Then again, why should I care . . . I no longer read the comic book (at least until they replace Robinson as writer with someone who's writing style would be more enjoyable to me).

Why the hell don't you just blow up Themyscira than change it this drastically?!?
    Aren't there enough other futuristic scientific "paradise" island societies in comic books already?!?

Then again, why should I care . . . I no longer read the comic book (at least until they replace Robinson as writer with someone who's writing style would be more enjoyable to me).
    In fairness, it was an out-of-continuity book and I don't think there are any other futuristic cities in the universe this book is set it.

Yet Diana was originally a scientist who invented the Purple Healing Ray...in a lab...in a hospital

I vote for the Golden Age or Morrison Year One technologically advanced Amazons. It adds an extra layer to their culture (and a great reason for Doctor Cyber to want to learn their advanced secrets.)

Any culture that can produce earrings that allow you to breathe in outer space deserves to be celebrated. (I actually think it was a magical remedy, but I like to think it was technological.)