19) The Babysitter
    20) Scooby Doo
    21) Horror Express
    22) From Beyond
    23) House of Seven Corpses
    24) The Monster Club
    25) Hocus Pocus
    26) TRICK OR TREATS (1982)

Not the stellar Anthology from recent memory (titled Trick 'r Treat), or the heavy metal supernatural fright flick from '86 (that one's called Trick or Treat). No, this is a lesser known slasher movie from '82. It's a Halloween-rip off that I don't remember liking. But, hey, it's Halloween, I've got that out-of-print Code Red blu-ray, and in the spirit of the season, I'm gonna give it another chance... bring it back from the dead, if you will.

MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

PREVIOUS MOVIES
    1) American Psycho
    2) Ginger Snaps
    3) John Carpenter's They Live
    4) Roger Corman's The Masque of the Red Death
    5) John Carpenter's The Fog
    6) TerrorVision
    7) Cult of Chucky
    8) A Nightmare on Elm Street
    9) The Howling
    10) Rosemary's Baby
    11) Cujo
    12) From Dusk Till Dawn
    13) Friday the 13th
    14) It Follows
    15) The Hole
    16) Society
    17) The Little Shop of Horrors
    18) Return of the Living Dead
    19) The Babysitter
    20) Scooby Doo
    21) Horror Express
    22) From Beyond
    24) The Monster Club
    25) Hocus Pocus
    26) Trick or Treats
    27) FLESH EATER (1988)

Haven't seen this one in a couple years. It's a semi-official sequel to Night of the Living Dead, this time spearheaded by the star of that great graveyard opening scene from the original. He's back in this one too. Honestly, I remember this one being a lot of fun, in a sorta "so bad it's good" kinda way. It'll be interesting revisiting it.

MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

BANNED

The Hateful Eight

Not quite a straight horror movie, then again it's not quite a straight version of anything it does either. That being said, this movie owes a whole hell of a lot to to a number of horror movies, the most obvious being the The Thing. Like The Thing it too takes place in a cold inhospitable location, like The Thing they don't know who to trust, and like The Thing Ennio Morricone and Kurt Russell both worked on it. Although unlike The Thing this isn't a movie where a bunch of people are trapped in a location with a hidden monster, in this movie, everyone is the monster...beside O.B. and some people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. There's other horror movie stuff too, from the thing in basement of this cabin to a characters establishing shot having him surrounded by hanging chains like it's Hellraiser, but none of them play as big of a role as The Thing.

Two major things that lead themselves to it feeling like a horror movie are the music and the atmosphere. The setting is post Civil War Wyoming, but it almost feels dislodge from reality, like Minnie's Haberdashery could just as easily be hell, which is fitting, because for everyone there it will be. And then there's the Morricone's music, which all intents and purposes is a horror movie score.

So after watching Cult I figured I'd watch the on that came right before it.

Curse of Chucky

Turns out this one is also great. Probably even slightly before than Cult, although I really love how Cult starts bring stuff back from previous movies. Curse and Cult are so good I'm actually hoping for more Chucky movies, and I haven't been in love with the series since the Child's Play 2 really.

Again the Netflix version also leaves out the post-credits scene. Last movie it left out Kyle from Child's Play 2, this one leaves out Andy...which seems like a weird one to leave out since it plays into the next movie. It also seems weirder i with this one because while the Andy scene is gone, it plays a number of other post-credit scene all in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I remember thinking the young witch in Hocus Pocus was hot as hell. I was shocked, shocked, to learn later that she had been played by Sarah Jessica Parker.
    Yeah...

From Square Pegs to that was no small feat.

Going for 13 films.

1. Nosferatu (1979- The English language version)
    2. A Bay of Blood
    3. The Demons
    4. Trick r' Treat
    5. Dracula (1931- Spanish)

6. The Mummy (1932)
    Structurally different from what I expected (the mummy pops up in bandages early in the film, but then takes a different form.) The sets are decent in a story about explorers and ancient conflicts, with leads who find themselves out of their element against an unexpected type of enemy.
    8/10

7. Creature from the Black Lagoon

The story's a bit generic (a lot of King Kong and The Mummy with the kidnapping of the girl, and the theme of modernity vs the unknown) but the setting makes for a decent story of explorers versus a new kind of monster.
    7/10

8. The Revenge of Frankenstein
    The second Hammer Frankenstein is an unconventional sequel in that Peter Cushing's scientist is the villain rather than the monster (who doesn't even pop up, although there is a new attempt at creating life.) Cushing's mad scientist is well above-average, and the rest of the cast plays off him well. The sets are fantastic.
    7/10

9. The Old Dark House

Gloomy atmospheric and fun story of travelers stuck in a very strange old house. The sets are incredible, and the mystery takes some interesting turns.
    8/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

October 1 - Frankenstein 1970 (1958)
    October 2 - Nothing But The Night (1973)
    October 3 - Hellraiser (1987)
    October 4 - Dead of Night (1945)
    October 5 - Alias John Preston (1955) / What We Do in Shadows (2014)
    October 6 - Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (1971)
    October 7 - Gerald’s Game (2017)
    October 8 - Curse of Chucky (2013)
    October 9 - Cult of Chucky (2017)
    October 10 - The Ghoul (1933)
    October 11 - The Last Man on Earth (1964)
    October 13 - The Return of Dracula (1958)
    October 14 - Billy the Kid Versus Dracula (1966)
    October 15 - The Mummy (2017)
    October 17 - The Body Snatcher (1945)
    October 18 - I Bury the Living (1958)
    October 20 - Frankenstein (1931)
    October 21 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) / A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
    October 22 - Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968)
    October 23 - Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

Playing catch-up on the list, here.

October 24 - Dracula (1931) / Drαcula (1931)

Watched them back-to-back, and I can’t find myself agreeing that the Spanish version was better in all respects save Lugosi. It does a lot of things better, but some things worse, and the longer running time really does start to drag. There’d be a near-perfect movie to be had by merging the two.

October 25 - Salem’s Lot (1979)

Someday, someone’s gonna pare this story down to a reasonable feature running time. Tobe Hooper’s version has some nice, creepy imagery, but it loses a lot of points for me by making Barlow a mute monster rather than the scheming, gloating villain of the book.

October 26 - Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)

Definitely flawed, but I always have a lot of time for this movie because of its faithfulness to the novel (minus all the terrible “reincarnated lover” parts) and how beautifully it’s directed. That and the cast is so awash in 90s-ness that it makes me smile.

October 27 - The Old, Dark House (1932)

An October must-watch for me each year. The new blu-ray release by the Cohen Collection is absolutely beautiful; a big step up from the versions I’ve seen on Youtube and TV.

October 28 - Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1974)

The TV-movie version with Jack Palance. Mainly becuase I’m on a little bit of a Dracula kick and am curious to see the difference between adaptations. This...really did nothing for me, on any level.

01. Contracted (2013)
    02. The Cave (2005)
    03. Pandorum (2009)
    04. The Babadook (2014)
    05. Doom (2005)
    06. The Windmill (2016)
    07. Intruders (2015)
    08. Legion (2010)
    09. The Lumberjack Man (2015)
    10. Rodan (1956)
    11. Howl (2015)
    12. Red Dragon (2002)
    13. Alien (1979)
    14. Hush (2016)
    15. Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965)
    16. The War of the Gargantuas (1966)
    17. The Babysitter (2017)
    18. Tales of Halloween (2015)
    19. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

There is panic throughout the nation as the dead suddenly come back to life. The film follows a group of characters who barricade themselves in an old farmhouse in an attempt to remain safe from these flesh eating monsters.

Not really much to say about this movie. The first of George Romero's zombie movies. Black and white just makes it so much more.

01. Contracted (2013)
    02. The Cave (2005)
    03. Pandorum (2009)
    04. The Babadook (2014)
    05. Doom (2005)
    06. The Windmill (2016)
    07. Intruders (2015)
    08. Legion (2010)
    09. The Lumberjack Man (2015)
    10. Rodan (1956)
    11. Howl (2015)
    12. Red Dragon (2002)
    13. Alien (1979)
    14. Hush (2016)
    15. Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965)
    16. The War of the Gargantuas (1966)
    17. The Babysitter (2017)
    18. Tales of Halloween (2015)
    19. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    20. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (1972)

Six friends in a theatrical troupe dig up a corpse on an abandoned island to use in a mock Satanic ritual. It backfires with deadly consequences.

This is one of those zombie flicks that they used to play on "creature feature" Saturday nights. Found the DVD a few years ago and bought it for $5.00. Not that great of a film but it's one of those cheesy type films that you enjoy to watch from time to time.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking

Already List:

1.) Young Frankenstein (1974) ~ On Netflixs
    2.) Shin Godzilla (2016) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    3.) Sleepy Hollow (1999) ~ ON Netflixs
    4.) Hellraiser (1987) ~ On Netflixs
    5.) The Return of Godzilla-1984! (1984) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    6.) Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) ~ ON Netflixs!
    7.) The Addams Family (1991) ~ On HULU!
    8.) Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    9.) The Addams Family Values (1993) ~ On Netflixs!
    10.) Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    11.) Infra-Man (1975) ~ DVD English Dub~!
    12.) Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    13.) Big Trouble in Little China (1986) ~ On Blu-Ray!
    14.) The Monster Squad (1987) ~ HULU!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15.) Rebirth of Mothra (1996) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117089/

Rebirth of Mothra IMO is a Huge Love Letter to the one of the Most Popular monsters to come out of the Godzilla Family of Monsters! So Much so she got not 1 but 3 Remake movies in the 1990's and this one hits Mothra and Her Mythos on every level, plus adds allot to it! The most interesting is the adding of unique personalities to the Cosmos Twins and adding a 3 sister that is evil by her own desires.

The music in this 1st movie is Just Plan Magnificent! It is a score that hits on your emotions right at all the right point of the movie in all the right ways! The movie is greatly shot and the use of Vibrant colors is classic to this style of Mothra!

I always felt the The Heisei Era of Godzilla Movies that Started in 1984 with the Return of Godzilla and went until Godzilla vs. Destoroyah in the late 1990's, I always felt it's Themes, use of colors and powers felt Very Anime like both by Look, Use of Powers and Story-wise. That was my own observations of The Heisei Era of Godzilla Movies and Rebirth of Mothra is no less feeling of those Anime Themes!

From Mothra Herself, to the Villains, to the Music, to how the Cosmos Sisters and supporting actors where done, This felt like Mothra crossover with Sailor Moon Themes and that Feel I get from it I love this movie for that and it does it Very Well!

But that is just what I get out of it!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Already List:

2.) Shin Godzilla (2016) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    5.) The Return of Godzilla-1984! (1984) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    8.) Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    10.) Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    12.) Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    15.) Rebirth of Mothra (1996) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

16.) Rebirth of Mothra II (1997) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133104/

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

PREVIOUS MOVIES
    1) American Psycho
    2) Ginger Snaps
    3) John Carpenter's They Live
    4) Roger Corman's The Masque of the Red Death
    5) John Carpenter's The Fog
    6) TerrorVision
    7) Cult of Chucky
    8) A Nightmare on Elm Street
    9) The Howling
    10) Rosemary's Baby
    11) Cujo
    12) From Dusk Till Dawn
    13) Friday the 13th
    14) It Follows
    15) The Hole
    16) Society
    17) The Little Shop of Horrors
    18) Return of the Living Dead
    19) The Babysitter
    20) Scooby Doo
    21) Horror Express
    22) From Beyond
    24) The Monster Club
    25) Hocus Pocus
    26) Trick or Treats
    27) Flesh Eater
    28) NIGHT OF THE DEMONS (1988)

This one is a MUST each October, though I usually switch between the first two every other year. This year I'm watching the original and it never disappoints! A group of friends go to an old dark house to throw a Halloween party, then everyone starts getting possessed by evil demons. That premise is intriguing enough on its own, but the execution is sooooo '80s and it's just crazy fun!

29) HACK-O-LANTERN (1988)

I'm a HUGE '80s slasher fan. And I discovered this one in 2013 I think. I was so happy to toss my bootleg DVD in favor of this gorgeous new 2K remastered blu-ray transfer earlier this year. Now it has earned a permanent place on my Halloween rotation each year. It's not a great film by any means, but it's got a lot to offer. AKA Halloween Night, it includes elements of the slasher, the giallo, heavy metal horror, and '80s satanic panic. It hits all my sweet spots and I have such a blast with it whenever its on!

Last edited by redrunner97; 10-30-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Cool

Already List:

16.) Rebirth of Mothra II (1997) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

17.) Rebirth of Mothra III (1998) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189764/

Last edited by CJStriker; 10-29-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Still going for 13 films. One more to go.

1. Nosferatu (1979- The English language version)
    2. A Bay of Blood
    3. The Demons
    4. Trick r' Treat
    5. Dracula (1931- Spanish)
    6. The Mummy (1932)
    7. Creature from the Black Lagoon
    8. The Revenge of Frankenstein
    9. The Old Dark House

10. Secret of the Blue Room
    This was one of the more obscure of the early Universal horror films, though it's more of a locked door mystery. The first half sets up the mystery of a seemingly haunted room, and the disappearance of a schmuck who wants to stay there to prove his courage for the girl he loves. Then the detectives get involved, and the story gets a bit blander, although there is an interesting lack of clarity on what exactly happened twenty years ago.
    6/10

11. The Ghost Train
    I admit it's a stretch to list this as horror. Vaudevillian Arthur Askey's lead turns this film about passengers stranded in a haunted train station into the comedy genre, although it's a stretch for the subject matter. The most interesting parts about the film are the matter of fact treatment of life in World War 2 Britain.
    5/10

12. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
    This surrealist fable is full of spectacular imagery, and a story that is intentionally vague, mysterious and more than a little perverted. Can be appreciated on numerous levels (an allegory for growing up, weird dream sequences, a girl learning that her grandmother wants to sacrifice her for eternal youth in order to become a vampire...)
    9/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Smile

Already List:

17.) Rebirth of Mothra III (1998) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

18.) The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) ~ On Netflixs!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/

Managed to get two films in thus far*...

- Jigsaw: Thought it was an interesting fit into the franchise's bigger picture. Can't say a whole lot more than that without spoiling some things.
    - Mimic: I was pleasantly surprised at how well the film has held up. Unsurprisingly, it still has a very interesting look. Even the performances were really solid.

* Does that I caught a rerun of a mid-seventies The Lawrence Welk Show Halloween episode count?