Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default 31 Days of Halloween movies, 2017

Like a vampire-zombie serial killer in an Indian burial ground, the CBR tradition arises again! Let's lay out The Rules.

1. The Number of the Beast is 31: The goal, as always, is view at least 31 films between October 1 and October 31. Few make it all the way to31 on their first year, but all are encouraged to try. to add their names to the elite Brethren of the Night. While a film per day is encouraged, double and triple-billing (or more) is perfectly acceptable, and often necessary the complications of the living force once to play catch up.

2. Medium Be Damned: The movies shall not be just theatrical. TV, Cable, DVD/VHS and Streaming movies shall be legal tender as well. So view to your black heart's content.

3. Leave A Trail: Please provide an IMDB or Wikipedia link of all the films you view. This will allow the others the chance to add to their watchlists for later. Feel free to also add poster art and/or trailers as well to add color to your post. And of course your own thoughts on film would be nice to hear...before the end.

4. Simpsons Can't Do It: Halloween-themed episodes of a regular series don't count. But a dedicated special like "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" may be another story, if there are no objections.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jared; 10-01-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

One of my favorite CBR traditions, I don't always get to 31 but it's always fun. I'll do a main list here and mini reviews/thoughts in following posts.

Day One: Curse of the Undead (1959, Universal)
    Day three: I Vampiri(1957, Titanus)
    Day Eight: Vampyr(1932)
    Day Ten: The Mill at Calder's End(2015, Spirit Cabinet)
    Day Thirteen: Damajin(1966, Daie)
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 10-13-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool

I was HOPING This would happen again this year!

I am Hoping this year I can do this cause I came-up WAY short last Year, but let me give it another go around and see if I can earn that title of 31 Days of Halloween Movies!

So Here is my 1st Movie I Just Finished Watching on Netflixs:

1.) Young Frankenstein (1974) - IMDb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072431/

The Universal Classic By One of My All Time Favorite Directors & Actors Mel Brooks and staring an actor that was part of my Childhood, Gene Wilder!

THIS is the Movie to Start Off October & Halloween! ;-)

Last edited by CJStriker; 10-01-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Young Frankenstein is the funniest movie ever made, IMO.

I love this every year. I can't participate due to my wacky schedule, but I enjoy everyone's contributions. And yes, Young Frankenstein is the best.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Young Frankenstein is the funniest movie ever made, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I love this every year. I can't participate due to my wacky schedule, but I enjoy everyone's contributions. And yes, Young Frankenstein is the best.
    Indeed Agree, Happy to Start off with Such a Classic Myself!

It was the Perfect-Storm of Talent, Writing and Acting with the Exact Atmosphere of Classic Horror movies other horror movies are based on Today!

Add in Spot On Clever Comedy that is Still Very Quotable today and you wondering how captured Lighting in a Bottle(Pun Intended ) So Well!

Also Gene Wilder Played Each Moment of Over-The-Top-Crazy and Yet Calm Gentleman Perfectly! ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also 2 Quick questions on the Rules;

1.) If I want to see the Same Movie again, example Young Frankenstein again, does that count towards my total or does it have to be 31 Different movies?!

2.) Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a show that shows Full Length Movies Including Horror and Suspense they view, so does that count too or not?
    Last edited by CJStriker; 10-01-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    If I want to see the Same Movie again, example Young Frankenstein again, does that count towards my total or does it have to be 31 Different movies?!
    Each movie only counts once. There's some wiggle room if there are substantially different cuts of the same movie such as Alien 3 or Halloween 6.

2.) Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a show that shows Full Length Movies Including Horror and Suspense they view, so does that count too or not?[/SIZE][/I]
    [/QUOTE]

Hmmm...that's a good question I don't recall how if or how it's been dealt with in previous years. I would say that it counts, but you should specify that you watched the MSTK3K version.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

My first entry is an oddball flick I picked up on VHS of all things at a local yard sale...I also had to pick up a VCR but that was acquired rather cheaply as well. So with out further ado I give you:
    Curse of the Undead

1959, Universal

This latter day Universal Monster flick is a fun mash up of Western and classic Horror tropes. It seems like a silly concept but Edward Dein played it straight to excellent effect. What I loved most was that it didn't really play up a connection to Dracula but instead focused on more traditional folklore; Drago Robles wasn't a vampire because he was bit by one but rather because he was a suicide and his victims don't turn into more vampires, they just die and sunlight has no ill effects. There's still the bit about crosses that comes from Stoker, but it's done well here in that Drago(the vampire) isn't killed by a wooden stake but rather a bullet with a cross on it.

BANNED

I just watched today, Burn Witch, Burn, a movie from 1962.

I believe this is where Marvel came up with the "Jason Wyngarde" alias for Mastermind from English actor Peter Wyngarde in this movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Each movie only counts once. There's some wiggle room if there are substantially different cuts of the same movie such as Alien 3 or Halloween 6.
    Hmmm...that's a good question I don't recall how if or how it's been dealt with in previous years. I would say that it counts, but you should specify that you watched the MSTK3K version.[/QUOTE]

Watching MST3K isn't exactly watching the movie. It's more like watching people watch a movie, they aren't really the same experience. You aren't exactly going to come away from watching that show with the best of understandings about what the movie really is...because you're not really there for the movie. They also don't always show whole movies from what I remember of them.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

With MST3K you see at least as much of the movie as you would on a network TV broadcast. They edit it to fit into the 90-minute timeslot, and for content... any version you see on MST3K will never be harder than a PG rating, pretty much. But the movies they choose to riff are chosen for being appropriate in terms of length and content, so it won't be an edited down 3-hour movie or an R-rated film with lots of nudity or gore.

I consider myself to have seen the movie by watching an episode of MST3K.

BANNED

Watched Gerald's Game on Netflix, which I had totally forgotten was being turned into a movie or was coming to Netflix. It's been a number of years now since I've read the book, which I read on vacation, enjoyed quite a lot, but never ended up finishing. The movie, it's just kind of ok. I remember while reading the book thinking about how it could been turned into a movie, how this or that could be done. This movie is not how I imagined it going. I guess I imagined a movie version as far more stylized, more violent, more sexually aggressive, more thrilling, and with nudity. This movie version plays out like a stage play. Interesting things could have been done with the people she sees in her head, but the movie does it in the most plan boring way possible. There's no build to the dog coming like in the book, here in the movie it's completely without tension, and never feels like the threat the book makes it seem.

Maybe one of the oddest choices is Jessie isn't naked the whole time. Even just one the page, part of what makes Jessie's whole situation feel so horrible is she's handcuffed to that bed completely naked. By not having her naked it feels like there's a safety net, nothing feels as dangerous or extreme as it would have otherwise.

Overall it's just ok. There's some bits and pieces that work well, there's a standout scene around the end when she's trying to get the cuffs off, and it's King so it's got a weak ending that went on way too long...but I'd say it's worth a watch.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    With MST3K you see at least as much of the movie as you would on a network TV broadcast. They edit it to fit into the 90-minute timeslot, and for content... any version you see on MST3K will never be harder than a PG rating, pretty much. But the movies they choose to riff are chosen for being appropriate in terms of length and content, so it won't be an edited down 3-hour movie or an R-rated film with lots of nudity or gore.

I consider myself to have seen the movie by watching an episode of MST3K.
    But you haven't really seen it. You've only seen a show where people talk over the movie, telling jokes that will color your impression of the movie. You're also not getting into a movie at all while watching the show, you're getting into what they're saying, which is a totally different tone from the movie itself. They're two totally different things.

Eyes without a Face a 1960 French Italian horror film about a father trying to get his terribly disfigured daughter a new face by any means necessary.