Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Antropophagus, a cooler poster than movie

Oh if only the movie was lit like that poster.

Anthropophagus is an Italian slasher from Joe D'Amato, who's probably best known for doing a number of Laura Gemser's Emanuelle movies. It's also a pretty average movie with maybe only two standout scenes during the whole thing. It's kind of an aggravating movie because it actually could be pretty great with some changes. Weirdly for a gore film it seemingly can't quite make up its mind if that's what it wants to be, sometime it's '80s Italian gory, but then later someone gets their throat slashed and it's less bloody then yesterday's episode of The Mick.

This might be a good movie to show someone that has no idea what it is at all. The opening, which is one of the standout scenes of the movie, is a Jaws opening...which says something interesting about the killer and seemingly the aspirations the movie has and will never meet. But if you don't know the movie is about a human killer you might be tricked into thinking it's a shark, and when the underwater POV makes its way onto land it might have people thinking: What the **** is going on?

Second movie of the night was Girls Nite Out.

That's a weird tag line for the movie. That makes it seem like they're all in one place, and the killings all happened in this one place, but that's not a thing that happens in the movie.

This was also a slasher, and also a '80s movie. It's also a pretty average movie. Girls Nite Out is basically a whodunit slash that's very clearly playing off Animal House and Psycho. It's kind of funny, because this is also something I could see working far better than it actually does in the movie. First of, it's whole whodunit aspect doesn't really go much of anywhere. We're introduced to a group of potential killers at the beginning of the film during a party, but the movie never really does anything with this and most of all the guys introduced here disappear from the movie, weirdly the two guys they do come back to don't really have much of anything to do with anyone else either. The movie does have a good killer, which is someone in this weird bear mascot costume, a costume likely picked because of the cool weapon the killer has; and they even thought up a good kill and reveal of that kill. Problem kind of is that also seems to be about the only one they really thought of before making a slasher movie, and it's also the first one.

Funnily enough I was somewhat reminded of Scream while watching this movie.

Oct 03 both Frankenstein (1931) and Friday the 13th part 4.

Oct 04 Invisible Man 2 and Friday the 13th part 5.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I Highly Recommend it, I delayed it for whatever reason, I was busy and put it off for to long and I am glad I finally saw it, so I am glad you want to see it as well, hope you do soon, maybe for the this List.
    It had such a limited theatrical release that I just didn't get out to see it in time, I believe it came out on DVD recently so I definitely need to get a copy.

October 1 - Frankenstein 1970 (1958)
    October 2 - Nothing But The Night (1973)
    October 3 - Hellraiser (1987)
    October 4 - Dead of Night (1945)

I recorded this movie when it aired on TMC last October, without really knowing about its sterling reputation, and only now finally got around to watching it. Dead of Night came out during a time when Britain was not making many horror movies; they had very recently been banned during the war. It's about a group of guests at a country home sharing tales of their own experiences with the supernatural, surrounded by a framing tale of the latest guest's premonition that something awful will happen if he remains at the house.

It might not leave much of an impression on some; many of the stories, twists, and nightmare imagery of the movie have been done to death since this movie's release. But keeping in mind when it was made, I can imagine it was quite unsettling. And it's easy see why this film was so influential (Martin Scorsese calls it one of the scariest movies of all time).

1. The Shining.
    2. The Woman in Black.
    3. The Conjuring.
    4.The Conjuring 2. Woof. What a stinker. I knew it wouldn't be as good. Sequels almost never are, but this was miles worse than I was expecting. Guess I'll be skipping the Anabelle movies.

Edit: Okay. This movie was all over-the-top visions of the demons and ghosts. And while the Nun was effective the less you saw of it, they can't help themselves and start showing her more and more, up close, big monster mouth etc. It, again, just ruins the mystery, which is what makes it scary in the first place. The hallway scene in the Warren's home was great!

Also, you can read the directors explanation on why he did a second Conjuring movie. Basically he wanted to return to the Warren characters... so he told a story that, in real life, they were barely involved in, but stuck them front and fucking center in the movie.

I don't get worked up on the "true story" part. Liberties will be taken. I mean, there's no proof these hauntings/possessions were real to begin with. But, they took great lengths to accurately portray a good deal of what happened, down to hair cuts, clothing, the bedrooms... then just **** on it the rest of the way. I don't really get it. And that's on top of it just not being a very good movie in any other way. it's a shame, I thought they mostly did a good job with the first one.
    Last edited by Joker; 10-04-2017 at 10:10 AM.

1. Contracted (2013)
    2. The Cave (2005)
    3. Pandorum (2009)

A pair of crew members aboard a spaceship wake up with no knowledge of their mission or their identities.

The movie is about a colony spaceship headed to an earth like planet to create a new settlement. The two main characters (astronauts) awaken from their hyper-sleep chambers to find that the ship is abandoned. One decides to search the ship while the other stays behind to man the radio and controls to aid in the search. Soon they both realize they're not alone. Pandorum is a term for a severe case of cabin fever, and throughout the movie both characters look at the other with the thought that either one could be affected. Movie has a nice little twist at the end. Also has that original Alien vibe for it. I really enjoyed this movie.
    Last edited by GrifterWC; 10-05-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch

This movie was waaaay weirder than I expected.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Already List:

1.) Young Frankenstein (1974) ~ On Netflixs
    2.) Shin Godzilla (2016) ~ On Blu-Ray
    3.) Sleepy Hollow (1999) ~ ON Netflixs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4.) Hellraiser (1987) ~ On Netflixs

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093177/

Getting Into the Horror Icons of the 1980's Here and this was one on the Top of My list for this Halloween Season and for Good Reason. The Story is slow at times but builds Atmosphere very well around it. It also shows that even when you have Demons in the Flesh that sometimes Human Character, mainly in this case Frank can be more Creepy and Evil then the Demons themselves, that is a Major Story achievement right their.

No less then Icon, the Effects in this are Top notch for the time and still hold-up today. The Cenobites are Iconic, beings of both Hell and another Dimension that go into that near level of HP Lovecraft starting ideals too. Allot of weight is to their characters with how they just create that pretense around them to make them the BOSS in any Moment.

But it is Doug Bradley as Pinehead that steals the show! Every-line by him is Beyond Quotable and just leaps imaginations into the ideals of how Ancient, Wise and Terrible of Power and Being he is! Very Iconic performances like I remember it!

I plan to see the next one to, so a Grand 1st Movie to say the least.

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Incredible Member

1. The Return of the Vampire. (1943)
    2. The Lost Boys. (1987)
    3. Deathgasm (2015).
    4. Little Evil (2017)

A random Neflix selection I watched on October 3rd. It's riff on Evil Dead (2) about New Zealander metal heads. Some good jokes and loads of splatter, Fairly well made with the limited budget only actually hurting the movie in some nighttime scenes that aren't properly lit. The girl in this looks and sounds a lot like Anna Hutchison from Cabin in the Woods and the last season of Spartacus. If you live for metal and mayhem, or went through a phase in life when you did, then definitely check out Deathgasm. But don't expect a classic.

Little Evil is a Netflix original, with Adam Scott as a Paul Ruddian everyman coming to realize that his new stepson may be the Antichrist. Evangeline Lily is adorable as his wife. Adam's best friend is an enthusastic bro played by a woman for comic effect, like a reverse of Louie Andersen in Baskets. Or possibly the character is intended to be trans, but either way it's done as a mostly unacknowledged joke. It's actually a much lighter film than I had expected given the premise. I didn't realize until after that it's from the makers of Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. I It's almost the ideal horror-comedy for Fathers' Day, as the kid's birthday is only a couple weeks before. I never got any big laughs, but I found the movie to be pleasant to watch.

So far, so good, I've been doing a movie a day and I haven't had anything that was a slog to get through. But the month is young..
    Last edited by Jared; 09-25-2018 at 12:44 AM.

1. The Shining.
    2. The Woman in Black.
    3. The Conjuring.
    4.The Conjuring 2.

5. At The Devil's Door. ...hmmm. Something about this one just didn't work. I still liked it more than Conjuring 2, because I'd rather watch an interesting failure than a boring success. Though, this was sort of both. (I also have a hard time calling Conjuring 2 a success, but it did well and is rated well.)

No real spoilers: The first hour is pretty boring, barring a few moments here and there and of those, none are really anything new. After the hour mark you see what it's doing, and what it's trying to do is interesting, but again, something about this movie just doesn't come together to achieve what it was aiming for. A shame, really, it could have been a pretty cool movie.

Anyone seen this? I'd talk spoilers if anyone had any feelings on it.

Tomorrow is a full moon (Harvest Moon) so I'll be breaking the haunted house theme for a werewolf movie tomorrow. Not sure what, though.

Should I go classic (all of which I've seen) or Dog Soldiers (which I have not seen)?
    Last edited by Joker; 10-04-2017 at 11:40 PM.

BANNED

Black Sunday(1960)

A vengeful witch and her fiendish servant return from the grave and begin a bloody campaign to possess the body of the witch's beautiful look-alike descendant. Only the girl's brother and a handsome doctor stand in her way.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=CJStriker;3131322]I was HOPING This would happen again this year!

I am Hoping this year I can do this cause I came-up WAY short last Year, but let me give it another go around and see if I can earn that title of 31 Days of Halloween Movies!

So Here is my 1st Movie I Just Finished Watching on Netflixs:

1.) Young Frankenstein (1974) - IMDb

The Universal Classic By One of My All Time Favorite Directors & Actors Mel Brooks and staring an actor that was part of my Childhood, Gene Wilder!

[CENTER]

Great movie! loved it since i saw it on TV when i was 5 31 years ago and been one of my fave comedies.

[QUOTE=Vegan Daddy;3132979]Kwaidan(1964)
    Kwaidan is a good anthology i saw on video as a teen and the best story is Woman in the Snow and did anyone think Tales from the Darkside the Movie's Lover's Vow story was much like Kwaidan? when i saw Woman in the Snow as a teen i thought "where did i see this story before? oh tales from the darkside the movie".

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

The Lost Boys is a movie I just have to watch at some point every October or things just don't feel like Halloween to me. This year I knocked it out early. I've talked about it more in depth in previous years. I love the visuals, the soundtrack, the style, the characters. I wasn't really aware of this movie until I was in middle or high school when I stumbled on it airing on cable one day. (VH-1, maybe). Prior to that, I only vaguely knew of it, being old enough to at least have seen the box in video stores and maybe a few commercials. Whenever I'm reminded of Joel Schumacher's notorious crimes against Batmanity, I try to take a moment to also remember that he made this movie, and it was good.

I own the two made for video sequels, I've only seen them once each. I expect that will change in coming days or weeks. I remember them not being anything really special, but not bad. Better than most DVD vampire flicks, of which there's a rather large amount. Vertigo has a recent sequel comic set soon after the movie, I've been meaning to check that out at some point. I've talked in depth about the movie in previous years, I don't have much to say offhand. Take it away, Saxman!...

When she was younger. And it's one thing to be topless for a scene or two, another to be naked and tied to a bed for almost the entire movie.
    Lost Boys is a classic and just turned 30 this year! i saw it in theaters when i was 6 years old and dug it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    October 1 - Frankenstein 1970 (1958)
    October 2 - Nothing But The Night (1973)
    October 3 - Hellraiser (1987)
    October 4 - Dead of Night (1945)

I recorded this movie when it aired on TMC last October, without really knowing about its sterling reputation, and only now finally got around to watching it. Dead of Night came out during a time when Britain was not making many horror movies; they had very recently been banned during the war. It's about a group of guests at a country home sharing tales of their own experiences with the supernatural, surrounded by a framing tale of the latest guest's premonition that something awful will happen if he remains at the house.

It might not leave much of an impression on some; many of the stories, twists, and nightmare imagery of the movie have been done to death since this movie's release. But keeping in mind when it was made, I can imagine it was quite unsettling. And it's easy see why this film was so influential (Martin Scorsese calls it one of the scariest movies of all time).
    Saw Dead of Night on TV when i was 4 and thought it was scary and well made, it influenced the likes of EC horror comics to Tales from the Crypt to Twilight Zone to Creepshow and more.

BANNED

Day 4
    Inseminiod
    AKA, The Movie That Fucked Up My Movie Night Plans For Day 4

Presented by Sir Run Run Shaw.

So the night could have went three different ways. I was either going to follow this up with another Alien ripoff film, some "OMG I've been raped by the monster and now I'm having it's baby" movie like The Entity or Demon Seed, or some fucking crazy Shaw Bros. horror film. But instead, becomes this movie turned out to be so good, I fell asleep sometime around the end and woke up fully awake sometime around 5am somewhat surprised I'd fallen asleep.

The movie opens well, a journey through space, seems to be same kind of macro photography The Fountain used to achieve it's vision of space. This part was really good, its also the best the movie will ever get. It will never live up to the opening. The only other bit that seems to work is, at times, the sets have an abstract quality to them that looked really nice visually with what they had. I say "sets", but at the movie the only one I can really think of is their video bank room where the surveillance monitors just kind of look like they're flowing in a black void of darkness. Makes me is all the sets in the movie that this kind of minimalist abstract quality to them, especially the more I so some of the other sets. I'll take the void when helps create a mood over the walls that look like they could fall over.

So what happens in Inseminoid? Well, someone get inseminoided. Maybe the monster interesting thing about Inseminoid is it seems like Prometheus is pulling from it. This wouldn't be the weirdest Alien ripoff Prometheus seems to take from, I'm looking you Dracula 3000 with your Coolio that smokes week by piping it through his spacesuit. Similarities would be people to do to alien planet and find a thing here they're crystals that become green goo, in Prometheus it's black goo in urns. Those who make contact with the goo are either transformed or die. One of the makes contact with the goo early in the film, goes on a little rampage, and is killed. The bulk of the movie, why it's called Inseminoid is about a woman on the crew who inseminated by an alien, but she also dreams it's by the doctor flowing a whole lot of that green goo into her by way of big tube. There kind of a correlation between this and David does to Elizabeth's boyfriend who then has sex with her, but it's not exactly the same. The follows is similar, as both these things lead to the female lead being impregnated, and then later giving birth to an alien baby that looks like a penis. Now what Prometheus doesn't have, is said impregnate person running around trying to kill people in what very well be one of the most boring slasher movies ever made. At one point like actually thought this movie should have just been a nice lean 70 minutes, I looked to see how long I'd been watching this very look movie, and I was only a minute past the 70 minute mark. Upon seeing that, and seeing how much time was left, I rethought it: Maybe a nice lean 55 minutes would be better?

Is it possible for a movie to be both lurid and not lurid at all? Like from a conceptual standpoint it's lurid, in execution it feels as if all things lurid have been sucked right out of it. It's hard to believe this film got thrown in with the Video Nasties by the British, maybe they got bored and fell asleep too? It's kind of a weird movie, it's a slasher movie that started filming before the big slashers films of '80 & '81 came out, and it's seemingly learned nothing about where the type of horror movie it's trying to be from the movies of the '70s. Because of Run Run Shaw being at the start I could help but think about how much better and weirder this movie would have been if it was an actual Shaw Bros. movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrifterWC View Post
    1. Contracted (2013)
    2. The Cave (2005)
    3. Pandorum (2009)

A pair of crew members aboard a spaceship wake up with no knowledge of their mission or their identities.

The movie is about a colony spaceship headed to an earth like planet to create a new settlement. The two main characters (astronauts) awaken from their hyper-sleep chambers to find that the ship is abandoned. One decides to search the ship while the other stays behind to man the radio and controls to aid in the search. Soon they both realize they're not alone. Pandorum is a term for a severe case of cabin fever, and throughout the movie both characters look at the other with the thought that either one could be affected. Movie has a nice little twist at the end. Also has that original Alien vibe for it. I really enjoyed this movie.
    Like that movie quite a bit when I saw it, although I could see that twist coming miles away while watching it. The directors previous movie before that, Antibodies, is also good.

Today's movie was "Curse if the Cat people" a very good 1944 movie.