Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

October 1 - Frankenstein 1970 (1958)
    October 2 - Nothing But The Night (1973)
    October 3 - Hellraiser (1987)
    October 4 - Dead of Night (1945)
    October 5 - Two movies today, since neither one of them reeeeeally count as horror (or, at least, are a blend of genres).

Alias John Preston (1955)

This was more of a psychological thriller than anything. Christopher Lee (looking dashing as all hell) plays a rich young man with a dynamic personality who comes to town. But under his cool demeanor, there are hints of an explosive temper and also the revelation of a recurring nightmare about a murder. And if you think you already know how it ends from that, yes, you probably do. The ending is as corny as the "psychologist explains everything to the audience" denouement in Psycho. Not great, but it's always at least a little fun to watch Lee.

What We Do in Shadows (2014)

This is a mockumentary by Taika Waititi (director of the upcoming Thor sequel) and Jemaine Clement (from Flight of the Conchords), about a group of vampire roommates in New Zealand. There are a few legitimately creepy moments (such as the werewolves and the Nosferatu-looking vampire Petyr), but mostly it's just hilarious. As great as the vampire leads are, the show is almost stolen by the aforementioned werewolves, who are planned to be the focus of a sequel.
    Last edited by Sean Whitmore; 10-05-2017 at 07:00 PM.

BANNED

We're werewolves, not swear-wolves!

1. Contracted (2013)
    2. The Cave (2005)
    3. Pandorum (2009)
    4. The Babadook (2014)

A widowed mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son's fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her.

A movie about an entity that is scaring a young boy and his mom. The boy believes it to be real but the mom thinks it's his imagination. Decent movie, I'd give it 3 of 5 stars.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Already List:

1.) Young Frankenstein (1974) ~ On Netflixs
    2.) Shin Godzilla (2016) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!
    3.) Sleepy Hollow (1999) ~ ON Netflixs
    4.) Hellraiser (1987) ~ On Netflixs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5.) The Return of Godzilla-1984! (1984) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/The_Return_of_Godzilla

The Original 1985 Godzilla the Americanized one was By Far and Still is my Favorite Godzilla Movie of All Times! ~~~~~ BUT this Original Cut from Japan of the Original Movie Outpaced it in Many, Many Ways!

The Return of Godzilla~1984 Maybe my NEW Favorite Godzilla Movie of all times and for Good Reasons! The Original Acting by the cast is Well done, The story flows much better, their are more scenes that make sense and their is more of a grounded feel to it. Most of all, the Music in the Orin gal Movie is AMAZING!

Seriously it flows with each scene so well, soft and elegant at points to help drive in the point it is getting at and Godzilla's themes to show dread and horrifying Moments! Honestly the Score is Amazing, I can't praise it enough.

This is a Super Entry into My List this Year, the 1980's Tokyo a Time-capsule to another Age of Japaneses Life was nice to see, the cold war themes played out well and Godzilla's Look is always my favorite and the definition of what Godzilla should look like from this movie.

Indeed a Grand Recommendation for this Movie!

Last edited by CJStriker; 10-05-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Also From The Return of Godzilla-1984! (1984) ~ That Final Score Song at the End Credits and in the DVD Main Menu ~~~ Just Beauty of 80's and Japanese Style Pop and Sci-Fi Culture and Reminded me of Anime Songs and themes so much as well!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Incredible Member

1. The Return of the Vampire. (1943)
    2. The Lost Boys. (1987)
    3. Deathgasm (2015).
    4. Little Evil (2017)
    5. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1980)

A TV movie from 1980 starring Jeff Goldlum that I had I never heard of it until last year, when it didn't make the cut. From what I recall of the original story, this is a reasonably faithful, albeit expanded, adaptation for the most part. It's far closer than Burton's Sleepy Hollow movie which does its own thing, which I liked. There's not much in the way of scares or even creepiness. Hell, I think the Disney cartoon short had developed more suspense. If they had TV ratings back in 1980 this would easily be a PG. It's the sort of thing I could imagine my kindergarden or first grade teacher putting on for the class on Halloween Day...though I'm pretty sure we saw the Disney 'toon. Some of the dialogue and performances are goofy, but some manages to be rather charming. Dick Butkus's acting ability is the complete opposite of his football ability, it's kind of amusing.

It has multiple uploads on Youtube, so it's easy to watch.

Even in shoddy video quality, Meg Foster's eyes are mesmerizing. Seriously, where is she from? Arrakis?!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Tomorrow is a full moon (Harvest Moon) so I'll be breaking the haunted house theme for a werewolf movie tomorrow. Not sure what, though.

Should I go classic (all of which I've seen) or Dog Soldiers (which I have not seen)?

See Dog Soldiers!
    Last edited by Jared; 10-06-2017 at 01:25 AM.

BANNED

Tomorrow is a full moon (Harvest Moon) so I'll be breaking the haunted house theme for a werewolf movie tomorrow. Not sure what, though.

Should I go classic (all of which I've seen) or Dog Soldiers (which I have not seen)?
    Go classic, watch Werewolf of London. Or maybe like The Curse of the Werewolf or something.

If you're going to watch Dog Soldiers you may as well just watch Predator.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Already List:

2.) Shin Godzilla (2016) ~ On Blu-Ray

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093177/

Getting Into the Horror Icons of the 1980's Here and this was one on the Top of My list for this Halloween Season and for Good Reason. The Story is slow at times but builds Atmosphere very well around it. It also shows that even when you have Demons in the Flesh that sometimes Human Character, mainly in this case Frank can be more Creepy and Evil then the Demons themselves, that is a Major Story achievement right their.

No less then Icon, the Effects in this are Top notch for the time and still hold-up today. The Cenobites are Iconic, beings of both Hell and another Dimension that go into that near level of HP Lovecraft starting ideals too. Allot of weight is to their characters with how they just create that pretense around them to make them the BOSS in any Moment.

But it is Doug Bradley as Pinehead that steals the show! Every-line by him is Beyond Quotable and just leaps imaginations into the ideals of how Ancient, Wise and Terrible of Power and Being he is! Very Iconic performances like I remember it!

I plan to see the next one to, so a Grand 1st Movie to say the least.

[/CENTER]
    Quote Originally Posted by GrifterWC View Post
    1. Contracted (2013)
    2. The Cave (2005)
    3. Pandorum (2009)
    4. The Babadook (2014)

A widowed mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son's fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her.

A movie about an entity that is scaring a young boy and his mom. The boy believes it to be real but the mom thinks it's his imagination. Decent movie, I'd give it 3 of 5 stars.
    Quite an excellent psychological in the tradition of the Others and well made, one of the better horror movies and thrillers in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Go classic, watch Werewolf of London. Or maybe like The Curse of the Werewolf or something.

If you're going to watch Dog Soldiers you may as well just watch Predator.
    Hey Waldo, what about The Wolf Man 1941 or Curse of the Werewolf by Hammer and what about The Howling, American Werewolf in London and Company of Wolves or Ginger Snaps?

Hellraiser, great movie! saw it in theaters with my 12 year old big brother and my dad and thought it was creepy and shocking.

1. The Shining.
    2. The Woman in Black.
    3. The Conjuring.
    4.The Conjuring 2.
    5. At The Devil's Door.

6. Dog Soldiers.

Went with Dog Soldiers simply because I'd never seen it, and I'm trying to watch stuff I haven't seen where I can. Honestly, I think it's the only Werewolf movie I haven't seen.

I can see the Predator comment, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. It wasn't a revelation or anything, and not the best Werewolf movie I've ever seen, but I thought it was pretty fun overall.

October 1 - Frankenstein 1970 (1958)
    October 2 - Nothing But The Night (1973)
    October 3 - Hellraiser (1987)
    October 4 - Dead of Night (1945)
    October 5 - Alias John Preston (1955) / What We Do in Shadows (2014)
    October 6 - Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

Got about halfway through this one when I started to suspect that I'd already seen it before. I'm still not completely sure if I did, or if all the lower-tier Hammer movies just start looking the same after a while. I guess it's notable in that this time, the Mummy queen (the gorgeous Valerie Leon) is attempting to bring about her own resurrection rather than having her lover do it.

Seems like real curse of the Mummy is to only ever get one good movie in a series and then be saddled with a bunch of middling sequels. (Oh, I'm sorry, Tom Cruise version, I didn't see you standing there. How...how much of that did you hear?)

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

1. American Psycho (2000)
    2. Ginger Snaps (2000)
    3. John Carpenter's They Live (1988)
    4. The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    5. John Carpenter's The Fog (1980)

Tonight:

6. TERRORVISION (1986)

The plot's simple: space monster made of garbage gets sucked through a satellite TV. It's a classic in my book and one I'm eager to revisit for the first time in about five years. Got my trusty Scream Factory blu-ray on the menu as I type this, can't wait to get sucked into such a weird world with this one all over again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUD0jgnoS-8
    Last edited by redrunner97; 10-06-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
    2. Ginger Snaps (2000)

Tonight:

6. TERRORVISION (1986)
    That is a solid list! Three I really like, two I've been wanting to see, and Ginger Snaps.

Mighty Member

1. The Shining.
    2. The Woman in Black.
    3. The Conjuring.
    4.The Conjuring 2.
    5. At The Devil's Door.

6. Dog Soldiers.

Went with Dog Soldiers simply because I'd never seen it, and I'm trying to watch stuff I haven't seen where I can. Honestly, I think it's the only Werewolf movie I haven't seen.

I can see the Predator comment, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. It wasn't a revelation or anything, and not the best Werewolf movie I've ever seen, but I thought it was pretty fun overall.
    Great movie, one of my fave werewolf films.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
    2. Ginger Snaps (2000)

Tonight:

6. TERRORVISION (1986)

The plot's simple: space monster made of garbage gets sucked through a satellite TV. It's a classic in my book and one I'm eager to revisit for the first time in about five years. Got my trusty Scream Factory blu-ray on the menu as I type this, can't wait to get sucked into such a weird world with this one all over again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUD0jgnoS-8
    Enjoyed Terrorvision since i rented it as a kid and a fun Sci-fi horror comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Already List:

2.) Shin Godzilla (2016) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5.) The Return of Godzilla-1984! (1984) ~ On Blu-Ray ~~ Japanese Audio with English Subtitles~!

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/The_Return_of_Godzilla

The Original 1985 Godzilla the Americanized one was By Far and Still is my Favorite Godzilla Movie of All Times! ~~~~~ BUT this Original Cut from Japan of the Original Movie Outpaced it in Many, Many Ways!

The Return of Godzilla~1984 Maybe my NEW Favorite Godzilla Movie of all times and for Good Reasons! The Original Acting by the cast is Well done, The story flows much better, their are more scenes that make sense and their is more of a grounded feel to it. Most of all, the Music in the Orin gal Movie is AMAZING!

Seriously it flows with each scene so well, soft and elegant at points to help drive in the point it is getting at and Godzilla's themes to show dread and horrifying Moments! Honestly the Score is Amazing, I can't praise it enough.

This is a Super Entry into My List this Year, the 1980's Tokyo a Time-capsule to another Age of Japaneses Life was nice to see, the cold war themes played out well and Godzilla's Look is always my favorite and the definition of what Godzilla should look like from this movie.

Indeed a Grand Recommendation for this Movie!

Oh my god i saw the american version of Return of Godzilla called Godzilla 1985 in theaters when i was 4 years old and was my first Godzilla movie and enjoyed it! the uncut version is fantastic.

1. The Shining.
    2. The Woman in Black.
    3. The Conjuring.
    4.The Conjuring 2.
    5. At The Devil's Door.
    6. Dog Soldiers.

7. Treehouse of Horror.

Only had time for a shorty yesterday, so went with this classic. The very first Treehouse of Horror! The 1st segment "Bad Dream House" keeps it in my haunting theme, so that made me happy.

These are so great. I absolutely love these, and usually do a marathon of them on Halloween night.

BANNED

Day 5, or maybe it should be Day 6 given when I was actually able to get around to watching it.

So I ended up going Shaw Bros. and watch...

Seeding of a Ghost

This movie has everything: Martial arts fights, dueling magic users, a zombie / ghost sex scene, a weird Alien scene. It's kind of great.

The film stars Phillip Ko, who starred in another, better, Shaw Bros. horror movie that same year: Mo / The Boxer's Omen. Seeding of a Ghost is slightly disappointing only in that it could have been a far better movie than, but even with its flaws it's pretty fucking fun throughout, and never boring. The movie is kind of like the fictional story within a story in Nocturnal Animals, only it happened while she was with the lover and the husband turned to black magic for revenge. It's pretty great, it's sloppy, but great none the less. This is something it'd be interesting to see get remade as it's got some real untapped potential.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Quite an excellent psychological in the tradition of the Others and well made, one of the better horror movies and thrillers in recent memory.

Hey Waldo, what about The Wolf Man 1941 or Curse of the Werewolf by Hammer and what about The Howling, American Werewolf in London and Company of Wolves or Ginger Snaps?
    I liked Ginger Snaps a lot back when it first came out, when I was in high school. Watched it again like a year or two ago now and was nowhere near as in love with it as I had been. Kind of makes me want to and not want to watch the second one again, as I liked that one more. I loved The Wolf Man when I was like 5 & 6, but it's another one of those things where on a rewatch a few years ago I found I didn't like it. Lon Chaney Jr. is totally miscast in that role, nothing about him makes sense as that type of character, and it brings the whole movie down. Everything else is great, but he ruins the whole thing; he's not there because he's right, he's just there because who his father is.

Love America Werewolf London. Not particularly crazy about the The Howling, the first or the series, but I liked them quite a bit back when I was in Elementary & Middle School. Haven't seen the two in something like 20 years, and don't really remember much of anything at all about them. Have been thinking about rewatching them two sometime soon.