Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Why is Rebirth Batman so good?

So i like Batman and going by the best Rebirth titles, Batman seems to be top. Reading the Bane arc I felt it ended abruptly. Went on to the Flash arc and realized half the arc is on Flash's line, wth. I didn't want to have to get Flash books as well. What is this marketing rubbish? I remember before 52 the storylines were within the title or maybe it was 52, whichever Court of Owl was on. Any of these Rebirth not having tie-ins?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I actually like 'Tec and RHATO a great deal more. I thought Batman started off slow, but has been building up and the stories have been better.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Sales don't usually equate to quality. I personally didn't care for Batman at all.

As far as books with familiar Bat-characters go, I'd recommend Detective Comics and Red Hood and the Outlaws. ('Tec's second storyline is a crossover with Batman and Nightwing, but that story is awful and easily skippable)

Some other amazing self-contained books: Green Lanterns, Aquaman, Green Arrow, and my favorite Rebirth book overall, New Super-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete18 View Post
    So i like Batman and going by the best Rebirth titles, Batman seems to be top.
    To each their own. I wish I liked it, but I haven't really liked any of the few issues I bought.

Reading the Bane arc I felt it ended abruptly.
    Didn't read that one. Read the previous "I am Suicide" arc (only for Catwoman's story), but wasn't happy with that.

Went on to the Flash arc and realized half the arc is on Flash's line, wth. I didn't want to have to get Flash books as well. What is this marketing rubbish?
    It was a story involving both Batman and The Flash, and it was clearly billed as crossing over with that book as well. (The idea was actually based on something done in the series Flashpoint, where Barry found himself on an altered Earth where Bruce had been killed as a boy and Bruce's father, Thomas Wayne, became that Earth's Batman.)

Any of these Rebirth not having tie-ins?
    The tie-ins among various Rebirth titles are not all that frequent, and more likely to be within related titles when they do happen (like within the Batman-related titles or the Superman family of titles).

Tom King is writing my favorite Batman stories ever. I'd pay 10 times the price and call it a bargain.

Rebirth Batman is really good. While i have loved Batman since JL/JLU and The Dark Knight, reading the New 52 Batman(the only book from New 52 which i read) i got that idea that Batman has become too cold and distant. And something of a fool. I mean who tells his son that he is connected to the Court by punching out his teeth. He can inform this in so many better ways. Something involving less broken teeth. Death of the Family ended with his family separated from him. They did not want to talk with him. I won't blame them.

He had become someone very distant and standoffish. The stories were awesome but i was caring less and less for Batman himself. There was a danger that he would become the least interesting character in his own book. All of this is my opinion of course.

Rebirth Batman started very strong. That first issue was awesome. Not only was it great, it laid seeds for future stories. While in other books he was bringing everyone nearer to him, Metal even had him called brother by Superman, his own books delved into his mind. His psyche. While it makes him look vulnerable, he is interesting to read. Granted there are a few issues which won't work. And the book frustrates a lot of times. But it makes up for it by being so unpredictable. There are a lot of brilliant issues. The Button issue was a great read. Kite- Man issues within The War was so out of the left field yet gave a Killing Joke-lite to Kite-Man. I loved his 'I am Suicide' as well as 'I am Bane' which was more action-packed.

The two Catwoman issues before 'I am Bane' and that issue with proposal were more character based. Even big fight scenes are moving the story forward. He reconciled with his mother at the end of 'I am Bane'. He is trying to find happiness after meeting his father in 'The Button'. You see these seeds were laid down in the very first book. I see a plan, and a direction. What it is i don't know, but even if there are a few issues not as great as the others it is a great run anyway.

Taken few issues at a time it might not be appealing. But taken as a run, it is very satisfying and enjoyable.

Better writing. Although I'm going to give the devil his due and say Snyder has been killing it with Dark Nights. But man, he stunk the joint up with New 52 Batman and All-Star Batman.

So i like Batman and going by the best Rebirth titles, Batman seems to be top. Reading the Bane arc I felt it ended abruptly. Went on to the Flash arc and realized half the arc is on Flash's line, wth. I didn't want to have to get Flash books as well. What is this marketing rubbish? I remember before 52 the storylines were within the title or maybe it was 52, whichever Court of Owl was on. Any of these Rebirth not having tie-ins?
    1. I like Snyder's Batman far more than King's.
    2. You know you can just skip the crossovers, right? I mean, if you really don't want to buy the tie-ins, you can just not, and the series will continue on. In fact, in trades, The Button is simply skipped over.
    3. It's two more issues for an awesome story. Who cares?
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

It is? I think it's one of the least improved. Rebirth has zero impact on Batman besides a drop in sales for a time [Rebirth is the 1st time batman dropped to below 100k or is that ASB] you're thinking Superman, RHATO and Deathstroke. That's what you wanted to say.

Batman is always top but it's been one of the more disappointing runs in Rebirth. I'm not saying it's bad but when people like Lobdell are delivering super improved titles King seems to to be phoning it in. I expected so much more from King.
    Last edited by Fergus; 10-01-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Amazing Member

Some good points made.

I saw Batman at 1 on a couple of lists but I think that has to do with popularity than quality.

I didn't like the Bane arc at all for it had what I feel like fillers. Too much flashback and redundancy. Some of it were pages of just repetition. I might check out Detective Comics, I think I already did one issue of it, it has all the bat family doesn't it? You know for someone who "works alone" he sure has a lot of people by his side.

How's JL on Rebirth? I can't remember if I've read it yet. Is it the one that starts with Cheetah arc?

What are the ones that are closer to pre-52? I kinda don't like how they're making Batman tbh. Like someone said, he's distant and foolish but also very emotional and touchy feely which I'm not a fan of. He takes way too much beating in both arcs I've read, which is kinda like Transformers movies having too much explosions.

Idk.. I'm not a fan of Marvel stuff outside the major ones like Civil War, some X-men stuff but I'm a DC guy. What are some good titles reminiscent of pre-52? Superman/Batman title back then was amazing, the 52 version was just rubbish.. I couldn't even read after awhile there's like 4 of them. Even Detective Comics pre-52 was so so so good. Man I miss those times. Everything has been not to my liking since 52.

Some good points made.

I saw Batman at 1 on a couple of lists but I think that has to do with popularity than quality.

I didn't like the Bane arc at all for it had what I feel like fillers. Too much flashback and redundancy. Some of it were pages of just repetition. I might check out Detective Comics, I think I already did one issue of it, it has all the bat family doesn't it? You know for someone who "works alone" he sure has a lot of people by his side.

How's JL on Rebirth? I can't remember if I've read it yet. Is it the one that starts with Cheetah arc?

What are the ones that are closer to pre-52? I kinda don't like how they're making Batman tbh. Like someone said, he's distant and foolish but also very emotional and touchy feely which I'm not a fan of. He takes way too much beating in both arcs I've read, which is kinda like Transformers movies having too much explosions.

Idk.. I'm not a fan of Marvel stuff outside the major ones like Civil War, some X-men stuff but I'm a DC guy. What are some good titles reminiscent of pre-52? Superman/Batman title back then was amazing, the 52 version was just rubbish.. I couldn't even read after awhile there's like 4 of them. Even Detective Comics pre-52 was so so so good. Man I miss those times. Everything has been not to my liking since 52.
    JL has been mediocre though the current arc is interesting.
    Detective doesn't have all whole family [almost]. It has Tim, Steph, Cass, Batwoman, Batwing and Azreal it also has a lot of Batman underperforming or being used as a prop for everyone else to shine. I mean it's a bat title where everyone gets an arc focused on them except Batman and I think that says it all.

All star batman is good and if you like a solo batman and Batman being batman then that is the title for you Metal is crazy good but you might need some background reading to fully get it. It involves the league but it's early days so not sure how they will be used.

Huh?!? If anything, Batman has been pretty mediocre. And that was before the boring, disjointed, and bloated "War of Jokes and Riddles." I would say it's straight up terrible now. War of Jokes and Riddles is one of the worst Batman stories I have ever read, and I have been reading Batman stories for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Huh?!? If anything, Batman has been pretty mediocre. And that was before the boring, disjointed, and bloated "War of Jokes and Riddles." I would say it's straight up terrible now. War of Jokes and Riddles is one of the worst Batman stories I have ever read, and I have been reading Batman stories for 30 years.
    Only 30?

You must be young.

Batman and most titles associated with him do well even when they are garbage. Rebirth Batman has been hit and miss mostly miss.