Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    But did King told us how long ago was the bombing? It could've been months or years as far as we know. How much time took Holly to kill the terrorists? Selina to be incarcelated and later taken to Arkham? Besides, King's Batman isn't about Gotham, but about the character. We barely see what happens in the city itself, even in The War of Jokes and Riddles it's all from Bruce's point of view. The closest we get to the city is through Kite Man's interludes, were we see the TV News reacting to the war, and the snipers fight, were we have Bruce saving people. Pretty different from other stories, like No Man's Land, were we experiment the lives of the citizens who stayed in the city. We never knew how the city reacted to Gotham and Gotham Girl either, par example. You can not like King's approach of course, but they're conscient decissions the ones he's making
    I agree with you that it's from Bruce's POV but his Batman is a dual assault of bad interpretations. His present day Batman overly angsts about his dead parents to the point of obnoxiousness and his past Batman is that robotic, boring Year One version who's got nothing going on inside. The latter approach is especially bizarre in the latest arc where it's all seen from his POV and the closest range Batman has is "I'm angry, scowling, grimacing and beating people to near death!" to I'm angry, scowling, grimacing and now trying to stab a guy to death!". Never mind the fact this robotic, Year One approach has nothing at all to do with the Zero Year, punk rock, young man who's ready to kick ass and take Gotham by the nuts.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    I agree with you that it's from Bruce's POV but his Batman is a dual assault of bad interpretations. His present day Batman overly angsts about his dead parents to the point of obnoxiousness and his past Batman is that robotic, boring Year One version who's got nothing going on inside. The latter approach is especially bizarre in the latest arc where it's all seen from his POV and the closest range Batman has is "I'm angry, scowling, grimacing and beating people to near death!" to I'm angry, scowling, grimacing and now trying to stab a guy to death!". Never mind the fact this robotic, Year One approach has nothing at all to do with the Zero Year, punk rock, young man who's ready to kick ass and take Gotham by the nuts.
    I agree, Kings Batman is an angsty, whiny, annoying character who is not like any previous incarnations. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I agree, Kings Batman is an angsty, whiny, annoying character who is not like any previous incarnations. And I don't mean that in a good way.
    Well if he were like the bolded, I unfortunately think he would be a lot like many versions of Batman.

Thankfully, he's not whiny or overly angsty and actually seems more mature and level headed compared to some other takes.

King's Batman isn't my favorite, but angsty and whiny don't really fit him (althougth to be honest, the easy of how those terms are throw around by fans, make me roll my, becuase some people seem to not find difference beetween whiny and drama). His Batman is very stoic and a bit robotic, that has difficulty expressing his own emotions sometimes (basically early 90s Bruce), he is aware of his own mortality and afraid of what the future migth bring upon him and his allies, he loves both Gotham and the Batfamily, but has problems expressing that and keeping awaybfrom his most dangerous businesw is his usual solution. Is not my favorite, but is at leadt interesting to explore, even if King's dialogue can putt me off from time.
    Man one day i had to make a post of my view on the 3 curret writter on Bruce and his personal take on him.

Incredible Member

Are you guys even reading the same Batman? Since this run has started he has been suddenly whining about his parents death that at this point was probably close to 25 or 30 years ago. I get that he would still miss his parents but damn everything he seems to do is whiny and angsty Yes, he recognizes his own mortality AND is constantly angst ridden about it. He's also now been shown as completely weak willed because the Riddler manipulated him into openly working for him in this last, terrible, arc. His constantly worrying about what his parents would think and the letter to his mom just highlight his whining. If you guys like this weak ass take on Batman then, hey, more power to ya, but I'm done with this crap

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Are you guys even reading the same Batman?
    Yep. Are you new to Batman? Because thinking about his dead parents, to some degree, is almost always happening.

Since this run has started he has been suddenly whining about his parents death that at this point was probably close to 25 or 30 years ago. I get that he would still miss his parents but damn everything he seems to do is whiny and angsty Yes, he recognizes his own mortality AND is constantly angst ridden about it. He's also now been shown as completely weak willed because the Riddler manipulated him into openly working for him in this last, terrible, arc. His constantly worrying about what his parents would think and the letter to his mom just highlight his whining. If you guys like this weak ass take on Batman then, hey, more power to ya, but I'm done with this crap
    You're throwing the term "whining" around, but I don't think it's really applicable. It's a blanket statement throw around when they don't like character's being dramatic, and it implies that said characters are being dramatic in a childish way. Which I don't think he is at all. It doesn't matter that his parents died 25-30 years ago, because he's never going to stop thinking of them from time to time, especially in moments of high stress. That's not how most human beings work. Aside from that, he's been focused on helping Claire and thinking of a future with Selina, neither of which are angsty and he doesn't conduct himself in an angsty way.

As for the Riddler thing, he was only in his second year. This isn't a more experienced Batman being played here. It'd be boring if he was a pro already two years in.

Incredible Member

He thinks about his parents deaths, yes but he doesn't hop on top of a plane and start crying to Alfred about whether or not his parents would be proud of him. You seem to disagree but I think it is completely applicable because I read him as being very whiny. He appears to, suddenly, be seeking some validation from his parents that he can never get. He's been focused on helping Clair? Other than going to Santa Prisca to get the Psycho Pirate she hasn't actually appeared much and after 32 issues, her character hasn't really developed. Another failure by Tom King. Sorry, that wasn't really anything to do with Batman but it still bothers me. As for the Riddler thing, it shouldn't matter that it was his second year. He still knows enough to not side with a super villain in a super villain war. Especially, the main antagonist from Year Zero. The Riddler was also completely out of character since he could tell a riddle that wasn't ridiculously weak to save his life. Tom King shouldn't write a character that tells riddles if he himself cannot tell a riddle. It just comes off as weak. Sorry another tangent. Anyway, you and I disagree about Batman and I doubt that either of us will change the others mind but I do still enjoy he discussion.

He thinks about his parents deaths, yes but he doesn't hop on top of a plane and start crying to Alfred about whether or not his parents would be proud of him. You seem to disagree but I think it is completely applicable because I read him as being very whiny. He appears to, suddenly, be seeking some validation from his parents that he can never get.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Exactly. That's not Batman. That's some emo guy in Batmans suit.

My issue with the plane part ins't the writing, I think that's perfectly fine for him. It's the art that blows, Finch has the kinetic energy of an inert brick, this should be Batman barely holding on for dear life, grinding his teeth so hard they're about to snap and Finch utterly fails to create any sense of tension or force behind the events. It's a constant issue with King's run, Janin can make a good fight scene happen but he's got a facial variety for Batman the way Call of Duty has varies the gameplay from title to tile.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

My problem with this scene wasn't that it was bad, but that 1) It's way, way too early in the run (issue 1!) for something like this (though I can see where King is trying to go from here, having a serious even shake up Batman's worldview), and 2) It feels almost exactly the same as what James Tynion did in Batman #52.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord