Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider-Man villains

I am on record numerous times of saying with very few exceptions that super heroes created after the 1960s are not able to sustain their own solo series. Wolverine is the only exception that I can think of (though Punisher and Ghost Rider have had periods of great popularity). But looking at villains, is it just me or were all the great Spider-Man villains created during the Ditko and Romita runs. (I do not like Venom, so I do not consider him a great Spider-Man villain. I did like Tombstone, and consider him to be a good character, but I have never considered him to be a great Spider-Man villain.) Are there any that I am missing?

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I am on record numerous times of saying with very few exceptions that super heroes created after the 1960s are not able to sustain their own solo series. Wolverine is the only exception that I can think of (though Punisher and Ghost Rider have had periods of great popularity).
    X-23, Squirrel Girl, and Jessica Jones come to mind as other post-60s characters capable of sustaining solo series. Some legacy characters, like Spider-Girl, Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel, Jane Foster Thor, RiRi Williams Iron Man, Miles Morales Spider-Man, also also managed to find success as the stars of their own series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    But looking at villains, is it just me or were all the great Spider-Man villains created during the Ditko and Romita runs. (I do not like Venom, so I do not consider him a great Spider-Man villain. I did like Tombstone, and consider him to be a good character, but I have never considered him to be a great Spider-Man villain.) Are there any that I am missing?

Sandy Hausler
    You might be right that Venom was the last new Spider-Man villain to make it big (although Morlun has had some notable roles).

I would give a nod to Carnage as well. If we define "Making it big" as having a toy made for you.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Jackal.
    Carrion.
    Stegron.
    Vermin.
    Will o' the Wisp.
    Hydro Man.
    Hobgoblin.
    Tombstone.
    Venom.
    Carnage.
    Morlun.
    Mister Negative.
    Overdrive.

All great villains i would say.
    Sure the villains created in the 60s are great,but i think there are quite a few great created after the 60s as well.

I do think there is merit to the idea that a comic book doesn't succeed when the villains aren't strong enough (rather than focusing on the lead protagonist). And, in fact, I'd take it a step further: most comics fail because the world isn't believable; because there isn't really much world developed, no other characters but the protagonist developed.

Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye succeeded because they crafted a very unique world for Clint Barton to live in, populated by intriguing characters - villains and supporting cast alike. And it worked so well that they're basically following the format with the current Kate Bishop comic: create the aesthetic and the cast/villains, and you're fine.

Spidey villains are the best in the business, save only for a certain bat-guy's rogues gallery.

As for newer villains, there are plenty I like - plenty I think have potential. They just don't get used as much as the classics, for various reasons.

Hopefully some of them will be dusted off eventually. Like, the Spot is in kind of a renaissance right now, don't you think?

Maybe someday a writer will use Armada again.

-Pav, who has been happy with the Stegron push as of late...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

The older villains have the prime mover advantage in that they're the first to fill an important role. If you're doing a story with someone who has super-strength, there will be the additional question of why Marvel's not just using the Rhino. There is also the built in history with the characters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Anybody remember when they use to have the "Gallery of Spider-Man's Most Famous Foes!" features in the old Annuals?
    I first saw the earliest entries when they were reprinted in the various Giant-Size issues of the mid-1970s.

and a few more . . .

Mighty Member

Man spider man’s roster of supporting cast and villains continues to grow and get more popular than most comic book franchises

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    X-23, Squirrel Girl, and Jessica Jones come to mind as other post-60s characters capable of sustaining solo series. Some legacy characters, like Spider-Girl, Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel, Jane Foster Thor, RiRi Williams Iron Man, Miles Morales Spider-Man, also also managed to find success as the stars of their own series.

You might be right that Venom was the last new Spider-Man villain to make it big (although Morlun has had some notable roles).
    Martin Li says hello.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Martin Li says hello.
    Where has he been these days?

Some more of the "Gallery of Spider-Man's Most Famous Foes!" features from the 1960s Annuals: