Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Marvel revived the "Gallery of Spider-Man's Most Famous Foes!" starting in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #13 (1979).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I am on record numerous times of saying with very few exceptions that super heroes created after the 1960s are not able to sustain their own solo series. Wolverine is the only exception that I can think of (though Punisher and Ghost Rider have had periods of great popularity). But looking at villains, is it just me or were all the great Spider-Man villains created during the Ditko and Romita runs. (I do not like Venom, so I do not consider him a great Spider-Man villain. I did like Tombstone, and consider him to be a good character, but I have never considered him to be a great Spider-Man villain.) Are there any that I am missing?

Sandy Hausler
    Irrelevant on whether you personally like Venom. Venom counts as one of the great Villains created post-60s. Venom spent the better part of a decade+ as a solid Spidey foe before this past decade becoming more of a hero. His spawn Carnage for sure counts. I personally feel Hobgoblin should be in that mix. He's a great remix on the GG concept.

I agree the 60s era created foes remain as top creations. I think if you did a random poll at any time amongst Spidey fans from 'x' decade those classic 60s characters would occupy 7/8 spots in a top 10.
    I don't see any great ones created post Carnage. The last 20 years hasn't given him much in terms of a foe who would enter a fans top 10.
    Morlun...nope, good for a run but lasting energy, nope
    Mister Negative, try again
    Screwball....hahahaha
    Kindred, just something we know in a new package.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

It's all a matter of perspective regarding preferences however objectively speaking, the Spider-Man rogues gallery didn't stop inheriting gems after the contributions made by Ditko and Romita Sr. Let's be honest, the true measurement of success pertaining towards any character is how long they've been and continue to be used in and outside the world of comics. Jackal, Hobgoblin, Calypso, Hydro-Man, Hammerhead, Tombstone, Carnage, Shriek and Carrion have not only maintained longevity but have also crossed over into other genres like video games, action figures, cartoons, etc.

Despite both being perceived as anti-heroes these days both Morbius and Venom have to be in contention considering they've also been relevant for years outside the world of comics (Venom especially). Still till this day in every top ten Spider-Man villains list, Venom is not just on there but he's usually ranked in the top three bar none. Venom is the best example because he's still considered one of Spider-Man's greatest villains and he's not even an antagonist for Spider-Man anymore.

Regarding more recent Spider-Man villains, Morlun and Mr. Negative would fit that criteria. Aside from the comics, Morlun was featured in Spider-Man Unlimited and Marvel Avengers Alliance video games and just recently had his own Marvel Legends action figure. Mr. Negative was featured in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, was also featured in the Marvel Contest of Champions and 2018 Spider-Man video games and already had an action figure released with Gamer Verse and will inevitably have one released through Marvel Legends.

I get that everyone has their favorites when it comes to Spider-Man villains (as do I) but I'm not judging any of this pertaining that. I'm just pointing out that there's a reason why Spider-Man's rogues gallery rivals Batman's rogue's gallery because it continues to add classic rogues to their respective repertoires.