Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Underappreciated Marvel staff workers.

A thread for people that either used to work at Marvel or are still working at Marvel that you feel deserve more acknowledgement and appreciation, whether they be writers, pencilers, inkers, letterers, colorists, or editors.

For example, I felt like giving more appreciation to Bill Mantlo, whose writing for ROM help set an example that it's possible for any comic to be entertaining and worthwhile, even licensed ones that mainly come about to promote Parker Brothers toys. It's unfortunate that his 1992 hit-and-run accident prevented him from doing any more writing though. It would have been great to see more of his ideas in comics.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I have never seen a single person talk about Cullen Bunn, but I have enjoyed pretty much every series of his that I have read, and also when he fills in temporarily for other writer's series.
    Baby Thanos

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think Roger Stern doesn't get nearly enough recognition these days. He had some great runs, like on The Avengers when paired with John Buscema. Plus the exceptional GN Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment.

Bill Mantlo's case is the most tragic though. I think his family did get some money from Disney a few years back but he needs constant care. It's a shame this country doesn't provide for this kind of devastating injury. He was lucky to be alive but he needs constant care. He was still a young guy I think when it happened, working as a Legal Aid public defender in the Bronx.

i'd buy brevoort some ice cream
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think Roger Stern doesn't get nearly enough recognition these days. He had some great runs, like on The Avengers when paired with John Buscema. Plus the exceptional GN Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment.
    Stern definitely help raise the quality on the Avengers after it's mixed, and even irresponsible, run from a few years before he started regularly writing for it. His character development for Hank Pym was handled well I feel:

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Bill Mantlo's case is the most tragic though. I think his family did get some money from Disney a few years back but he needs constant care. It's a shame this country doesn't provide for this kind of devastating injury. He was lucky to be alive but he needs constant care. He was still a young guy I think when it happened, working as a Legal Aid public defender in the Bronx.
    Yep. Mantlo was born in 1951, meaning he was in his early 40s when the accident happened and has had insurance problems in the process of getting him to receive proper medical care. I also heard that Disney even gave him a preview screening of Guardians of the Galaxy, as it features Rocket Raccoon, which he helped create.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-02-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

Tom DeFalco, one of my favorites from the 90s.. I don't recall seeing anything from him after Spider-Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Tom DeFalco, one of my favorites from the 90s.. I don't recall seeing anything from him after Spider-Girl.
    And also wrote Firestar's limited series. Gave the character some interesting background.

People ought to talk about Roy Thomas more if you ask me.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

Besides the ones already mentioned i would add Dale Keown as well.
    Cool that he ilustrating a new story in the Avengers.
    Another artist for example is Ron Lim.
    But speaking of just one of the mentioned already,Roger Stern wrote many great stories in the Amazing Spider-Man and the Avengers so he for example is a writer that i think should have more acknowledgement.

I started to read regularly Avengers with Stern's run and loved it. Him, Roy Thomas and Stan Lee got me hooked on comics.

Shot out to Christopher Priest for his writing on Black Panther, which happens to be the character's longest solo run.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-03-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Letterers - Clayton Cowles, Travis Lanham, and Joe Caramanga to name a few.

Special shout of to Joe Caramagna because that that issue of Leah Williams GwenPool was INSANE in the best way. But he did an amazing job.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I can’t say I have taken much notice of many creators outside of writers and artists so I’ll stick to what I’m familiar with. Christos Gage, who co-wrote a lot of Dan Slott’s Spider-Man and is doing great work with the Superior Spidey solo book. He wrote Spider-Geddon and an FF/Spidey mini a while back that I really enjoyed as well.

Marvel works with some great colorists these days. Matthew Wilson, Ive Svorcina (wish they'd pair him up with more artists), Jordie Bellaire...

I always loved Janice Chiang's lettering. It was artwork in itself.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"