Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

I would love to see these old hype ads published in some type of oversized hardcover format. It's amazing how much hype they could generate for upcoming story lines with just a simple one or two page advert.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Definitely remember this...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I just love browsing through these old print ads. I should dig out my CD of the collected Fantastic Four (over 500 issues and annuals). In the days before digital sites, this was one way to read comics on the PC. They merely scanned the original issues. They not only have the letters page, they have the in house ads too. And the sea monkeys too!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I just love browsing through these old print ads. I should dig out my CD of the collected Fantastic Four (over 500 issues and annuals). In the days before digital sites, this was one way to read comics on the PC. They merely scanned the original issues. They not only have the letters page, they have the in house ads too. And the sea monkeys too!
    I know. Back in the day, I hated `em. About 11 years ago, I went on an eBay spree and bought several lots of duplicates of the Hulk to do my own custom-made tpbs (I was not aware of the custom binding phenomenon). Did this for some specific run on the FF, the Thing, She-Hulk and Thor, which ironically, have been put out in Epic collections. I sadly removed as many ads as I could, but have since decided to start over and do custom-binding, but setting aside the cash to get them out is taking longer than I thought.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    I know. Back in the day, I hated `em. About 11 years ago, I went on an eBay spree and bought several lots of duplicates of the Hulk to do my own custom-made tpbs (I was not aware of the custom binding phenomenon). Did this for some specific run on the FF, the Thing, She-Hulk and Thor, which ironically, have been put out in Epic collections. I sadly removed as many ads as I could, but have since decided to start over and do custom-binding, but setting aside the cash to get them out is taking longer than I thought.
    So do you use a company that takes the single issues and creates a bound edition with a cover, etc?
    I know someone here that did that with their Doom 2099 collection since at that time, Marvel did very few collected editions besides the Masterworks and Visionaries series. And the chances of a 2099 collection were pretty slim back then

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So do you use a company that takes the single issues and creates a bound edition with a cover, etc?
    I know someone here that did that with their Doom 2099 collection since at that time, Marvel did very few collected editions besides the Masterworks and Visionaries series. And the chances of a 2099 collection were pretty slim back then
    I would love to. There's a thread in the Collected Editions forum about binding, a lot of them use Houchen Bindery. I've looked into it and thought I could set aside some cash now that the kids are a bit older.
    Should have done it with my severance package back in January.

My first attempt was basically ripping the comics apart, laminating them (yeah...that was pricey...and unnecessary!), slipping them in binder sleeves, and then into a clear-covered 3-ring binder. To top it off, I was doing these horrendously amateurish front and back covers with a corner box like tab. Once I got better with Photoshop, I made mock Essentials-style covers and went from there.
    For the FF, Thing and Thor, I stopped laminating and just slipped them in the sleeves.

Funny thing was, as I was completing all these, Marvel cancelled the Essentials line and started up the Epic collections. So what comes out? Thor: War of the Pantheons...#386-400. Then there was the Hulk proto-Epics that reprinted Hulk #272-313; Byrne's Thing and She-Hulk Classics, and the start of the Englehart "New FF"...
    I could have saved these dupes and done a binding years ago...and KEPT the ads.

I think I have a couple issues of this from a liquidation sale...not sure.
    I do remember the mini comic that came with the toys...

Never could get into Spider-Ham, He-Man was far, FAR too kid-friendly, and Thundercats just adapted cartoon episodes.
    Of course, that didn't stop me from buying them...haha!

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Never could get into Spider-Ham, He-Man was far, FAR too kid-friendly, and Thundercats just adapted cartoon episodes.
    Of course, that didn't stop me from buying them...haha!
    THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOO!

Bestest cartoon and characters, ever. No doubt, none whatsoever, it's the truth.

Heathcliff was a favorite too.

These are great McFarlane's Green Hulk, Thank you.

Hell yes!

Inferno ads!

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Cyborg is so cute.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.