Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pissed at JJ Abrams

Is anybody else pissed that the reason why he isn't doing more Star Wars movies is because he wants to butcher Kimi no na Wa?

From what I understand, Abrams is still directing Star Wars 9. That's probably further along with its development schedule than Your Name, meaning Abrams will likely work on Your Name once he's done with Star Wars.

Or maybe John Boyega is mistaken today.

True, he wants to butcher Kimi no na Wa AND Star Wars.

BANNED

Like he isn't going even more Star Wars movies? He already drop out of Star Wars 9.

Can't say I'm pissed, or even care. Although I'm sure the onslaught of stupid "whitewashing" articles will be fun. Those never get old at all.

BANNED

There is no confirmation that he is dropping out of Ep 9.

However, the guy's annoying. He ruined Star Trek and now he's about to westernize and yes, ruin an amazing anime film.

I wonder if Your Name will work as a live action American movie?

I don't think he ruined Star Trek or Star Wars.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Empty is thy hand!

No, I'm pissed that he's making another Star Wars movie.

Thankfully both Star Trek and Star Wars have a huge amount of product that existed before he came on the scene, so even though he fucked those franchises, there's still plenty of old material to enjoy that's new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    Is anybody else pissed that the reason why he isn't doing more Star Wars movies is because he wants to butcher Kimi no na Wa?
    Didn't know an American version was being made until I saw your thread. Now all I can say is, "please don't whitewash the casting! Please don't whitewash the casting! Please don't whitewash the casting!"

Mighty Member

no.

cultural appropriation and exchange has been happening for thousands upon thousands of years. this is business as usual.

people only tend to throw a fit about it if a 'sacred' anime or foreign film is defiled by the vulgar Hollywood commoner who doesn't truly understand or appreciate how beautiful and uniquely cultural some idea was originally supposed to be.

hasn't China been doing remakes of Korean, Japanese, and Western films for quite awhile now? I mean... it's not like America has the monopoly on shamelessly remaking old classics and utterly missing the point. besides, every once in a long while a foreign remake can turn out to be a decent film. is "the Magnificent Seven" as good as "Seven Samurai"? no, but it's not a bad film either. is the Watanabe remake of Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" recast in the years in the post Meiji era a bad idea because it no longer has the cowboy trappings? naw, it could actually be pretty good.

am I gonna lose sleep over Bollywood doing remakes of famous American films like "Silence of the Lambs" or "When Harry Met Sally?". no. things get remade all the time.

will they "get it"? maybe... but honestly, i don't care. if I watch the movie and it makes sense on it's own terms and is a good film then... great. the fact that most remakes don't do this... is par for the course. even if they DO get the point it will still be different in some way. I mean, didn't Ozu do remakes of his earlier films... and they still turned out different?

I don't think Abrams ruined Trek. honestly, I think Rick Berman and his crew did that 20-some years ago: he settled comfortably into the nu-Trek formula that he established on TNG and then milked to absolute death in DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. Trek basically crawled up inside of it's own anus, got comfortably situated, and died. most people gave up on Trek and left after TNG was over. and I can't really blame them for that either. afterwards it was only the "true believers" that clung for dear life to the sinking franchise.

like that awful moment in DS9: "what is 'time'?"
    my first thought was "godammit, this character is having a conversation with another character on television... conversations can't even happen without the passage of time! how is a show that's supposed to be this smart do something so incredibly stupid?" I think that may have been the exact moment where I gave up on Trek forever. earlier versions of Trek could be silly and preposterous... but it was rare for the franchise to do something this monumentally stupid and be straight-faced and deadly serious about it. I mean, I could imagine Captain Kirk in the same scenario just smirking and saying "well, the fact that... we're... having a.... conversation suggests that you.... might already know! but now that we're talking... I'll have you know that ... time... is on my side!"

Depends how they go about it. Certain aspects from the movie can work well such as the grandma trying to keep a part of her culture alive even though some of it was lost to history. That can easily be adapted for a second generation immigrant character from a Japanese family. Stuff like the difference between the way boys and girls speak can change to different accents. Personally I think the soundtrack plays a crucial part in how the movie feels. If they change that, who knows if they can find something that resonates as well.

I wrote this in another thread that if they were going to adapt an anime they should have gone with something that would translate better to a broader audience like A Silent Voice or maybe even Summer Wars.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Astonishing Member

He is still doing Episode 9. He has just announced his intention to do Your Name as well. However that could be years off. Episode 9 is already in the pipeline. Plus, once you make one film in a franchise, it is generally easier on a second. Purely because you know what needs to be done, and more importantly, how to get it done.

Read a few more articles.
    He called Kimi no na Wa a Sci-fi... How do you even make a mistake like that?

Extraordinary Member

J.J. Abrams did not ruin Star Wars.

And I'm not mad at him for getting the director job for an american Your Name, that's a dumb reaction.

I am however annoyed that somebody decided that there needed to be an american version in the first place. The movie is excellent on its own and no other version is needed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Trust an American to americanize "Kimi no na Wa"

How did Speed Racer and Astro Boy movies fare at the box office by the way? I heard both films flopped.
    That they did.

But in Speed Racer's it was in part because it was just as weird as the actual show. It's really an underrated movie, highly recommended.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Trust an American to americanize "Kimi no na Wa"

How did Speed Racer and Astro Boy movies fare at the box office by the way? I heard both films flopped.
    Ghost In The Shell didn't fare too well, either. There isn't that many Japanese Anime/Manga that would translate well in Hollywood. I reckon Robotech/macross would. Berserk is another (seriously, someone just give a copy of the manga to Del Toro already. Cast Joe Manganiello as Guts as well.) Cowboy Bebop could (need to take extra care of it and come up with one hell of a soundtrack.)