Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    This is true, but it doesn't change the fact that there are literally hundreds of other DC characters I'd rather see get a book.
    Well, there are tons of people who want to see this character be used (he's not exactly one of my favorites either, but Lemire works magic with B-list solo characters).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Well, there are tons of people who want to see this character be used (he's not exactly one of my favorites either, but Lemire works magic with B-list solo characters).
    Hence why I said "UGH" and not "DC are idiots for doing this. No one wants a Hawkman book."

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    As big a fan as I am of the Starman legacy, Will Payton is probably my least favorite.
    I always felt that Will Payton Starman had some untapped potential. He has a cool design and he’s more of a classic superhero prototype than the other Starmen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    As big a fan as I am of the Starman legacy, Will Payton is probably my least favorite.
    He's definitely the one I know the least about. Jack's story is done though and Courtney isn't in any danger of staying in limbo for too long, so if I could have picked a Starman to make a comeback here, I would have gone with Mikaal

Stop trying to make Hawkman happen DC! He's never going to happen!! He's just another White character appropriating a Non-White culture, unless of course they go the alien route, then I have no issues with the character and say, go right ahead.

Hawkgirl/woman (whatever she's going by now) better pop up though!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

I was a little wary of Lemire on Hawkman since I haven't enjoyed a lot of his recent output but that interview was kind of reassuring. Really looking forward to Hawkman Found

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Kendra Saunders has been in Metal.

Stop trying to make Hawkman happen DC! He's never going to happen!! He's just another White character appropriating a Non-White culture, unless of course they go the alien route, then I have no issues with the character and say, go right ahead.

Or, why not leave the politics at the doorstep and just let DC focus on writing good stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Or, why not leave the politics at the doorstep and just let DC focus on writing good stories?
    Not when said good stories only exclusively involve White characters, while their minority counterparts get treated like background caricatures or cannon fodder (like that minority thread posted by Samm pointed out).

I used to defend DC but actions speak louder than words. Diversity and good stories aren't mutually exclusive to one another like some DC fans seem to believe.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dc-dark...nd-jeff-lemire

Very insightful interview with art from bats out of hell, here are just some tidbits

-Rebirth was planned before Metal, which knew about. Metal started really getting planned around November of 2015.
    -Joshua Williamson is the showrunner of Gotham Resistance and Bats out of Hell.
    -While Gotham Resistance shows Bruce's family reaction to metal, Bats out of hell will show the justice league side of things
    -Starman and Red Tornado will show up in Metal and in bats out of hell
    -Jeff Lemire pretty much confirms he's doing a Hawkman book more or less
    -Think of hawkman: found as a pilot to a tv show
    I wouldn't have expected Williamson to be the showrunner for the tie-in storylines, especially since none of his books are even going to tie-in to Gotham Resistance. I guess his experience with Justice League vs. Suicide Squad made him DC's first choice to organize the two Metal storylines.

So Will Payton is alive and well? I wonder if they'll touch on the Gavyn stuff at all. And it'll nice to see Red Tornado back in action .

I'm curious to see what Lemire's take on Hawkman will be like, though I'm guessing it's going to lean in to this "Batman of history" take that they seem to be pushing in this event.
    I mean, he's kind of already happened, at least as much as any DC character has with multiple media appearances, comics series, etc.

They've already re-introduced Kendra and I doubt they'd bring back Hawkman without Hawkgirl in tow to some degree (especially since the last time she was gone didn't go over well).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    What about that is political lmao. Ethnicity and culture have nothing at all to do with civics or politics.

Not when said good stories only exclusively involve White characters, while their minority counterparts get treated like background caricatures or cannon fodder (like that minority thread posted by Samm pointed out).

I used to defend DC but actions speak louder than words. Diversity and good stories aren't mutually exclusive to one another like some DC fans seem to believe.
    Can't be better said....

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If they made his latest reincarnation of Egyptian decent, would you still have a problem with the character? It wouldn't change what his fans already like about Hawkman and could potentially open him up to a larger audience. Considering his original incarnation was Egyptian, it would certainly make sense.

Kendra is dark-skinned already, but I don't think they've been specific about her ethnicity aside from being related to Speed Sanders.

BANNED

Tbh, I'd much rather read an Earth-2 Hawkgirl book than I would a Hawkman, which to me just seem to be one of those kind of things people pull up when they want to explain why Geoff Johns is great more than why Hawkman is.

I agree with this. I get tired of all of these excuses on not pushing minorities, who already have a fanbase. It's upsetting and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If they made his latest reincarnation of Egyptian decent, would you still have a problem with the character? It wouldn't change what his fans already like about Hawkman and could potentially open him up to a larger audience. Considering his original incarnation was Egyptian, it would certainly make sense.

Kendra is dark-skinned already, but I don't think they've been specific about her ethnicity aside from being related to Speed Sanders.
    So is that what the alternative motive that DC should move towards now? Change existing white characters to minorities as an excuse to avoid existing minorities who still have fans hungry for DC to showcase them. That's complete bullshit on DC's part if they're thinking about doing this.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 10-03-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Hawkman and Hawkgirl's whole thing is reincarnation (unless it's the Silver Age).

It probably wouldn't be that hard to justify them changing races between reincarnations.