Default Smaller Scale Human Stories

I've got a buddy looking for more tightly focused, self-contained story arcs from DC where heroes deal with human problems, ideally from the past 10 years or so. He cited Matt Fraction's Hawkeye as an example of the sort of thing he was looking for.

The first thing that came to mind for me was Jeff Lemire's Animal Man run, which was largely about keeping his family together. But have you got anything else?

BANNED

James Robinson's Starman is a good one; even though it's a full fledged superhero book the main character is self aware and kind of questioning his worth as a superhero so he really feels like a regular guy you can relate to, similar to how we can relate to Clint Barton in Matt Fraction's run. I'd say it's one of my favorite DC books primarily for how relatable and grounded the main character is.

Gotham by Midnight is another good one, although it deals in the supernatural you get to see Jim Corrigan working as a detective which is fun.

The Batman: Black and White collections might be perfect for your friend. The stories are all 8 pages and self-contained with a wide variety of talent doing art and story. The stories vary from somewhat comical to deep, but all have a quick ending and most fit as human stories.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The Batman: Black and White collections might be perfect for your friend. The stories are all 8 pages and self-contained with a wide variety of talent doing art and story. The stories vary from somewhat comical to deep, but all have a quick ending and most fit as human stories.
    My Exact Thought!

I will add, if he liked Hawkeye, He should like Lemire’s Green Arrow.

And if he wants to try more Batman, Snyder’s Black Mirror arc from detective comics.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Does Gotham Academy count? Sadly there's too little from DC in recent years but I really liked the late Spider-Woman and Moon Knight books

Animal Man is a good one. Lemire's run on Green Arrow may be to his liking. You can't go wrong with Jonah Hex. There is also Gotham Central, which is about the police in Gotham and not the superheroes. Also, pretty much any Astro City story. Astro City is all about what it's like to live in a city of heroes where the characters are the heroes or the regular citizens. The Nearness of You, from Astro City is one of my all time favorite stories. There was also a single issue Superman story called Angel that seems to fit the bill.

Mighty Member

Cameron Stewart's Batgirl might also fit the bill, as there is a lot that focuses on her life as a grad student and a twenty-something living in a Williamsburg-esque neighborhood.

How about
    * Batman: Broken City
    * Catwoman: Trail of the Catwoman, then you can read every other stories from Ed Brubaker's run
    * Shazam! (New52)
    * Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death
    * Penguin: Pain & prejudice
    * Joker by Brian Azzarello
    * Jack Kirby's The Losers
    * Dark Night: A True Batman Story
    * Superman: Red Son
    * We Are Robin vol.1-2
    * The Question: Five Books of Blood & Pipeline
    * Gotham Central: Half a life