Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What are the best Rebirth Titles to follow?

I've only kept up with Wonder Woman so far and dropped Batman and Superman after the first 5 issues of each. Any recs?
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-02-2017 at 07:42 PM.

BANNED

Love how these threads keep popping up. More chances to give recs

Far and away my favorite title has been New Super-Man, IMO, the best book DC has put out this decade. Cape elements refined to a tee, interesting mythology and themes, interesting stories with legitimately surprising twists, and a brilliant cast of characters.

The other titles I enjoy are: Green Lanterns, Aquaman, Detective Comics, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Green Arrow.

Deathstroke

And watch Priest make Justice League a success again.

BANNED

Green Lanterns, Aquaman, Action Comics, Super-Sons, Detective Comics

Spectacular Member

Deathstroke and Super Sons. I jumped on Aquaman with #25 with the new artist and it looks beautiful.

Aquaman is extremely good. It gets real deep into international diplomacy and conduct of war, using the relationship between the US and Atlantis by way of example.

Deathstroke... holy ****, Deathstroke. How is Deathstroke so good? It surprises me every single month. I can't believe how much I love this book. Christopher Priest takes one of the most hyped villains in the DCU, and exposes him as a total fucking wreck. It's probably the best book DC has right now, except maybe Mister Miracle.

Detective Comics is a fantastic repository for all the Bat-Family characters who don't have their own book to hang out together. If you love Batman's deep bench as much as I do, this is your book.

If you like big epic space battles, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps has got you covered. Plus it's nice to see a book where Hal, John, Guy and Kyle all play off each other in an ensemble cast, for once. Hal's name is on the cover, but they're all equally important. There's something there for every GL fan.

Mister Miracle: BOOK OF THE FUCKING DECADE. GET THIS BOOK. TRUST ME.

New Super-Man is absolutely the best comic that no one is reading. It's by Gene Luen Yang, who does the fantastic Avatar: The Last Airbender graphic novels, in a mad quest to redeem every single Chinese character from DC's publication history while building his own Justice League of China. It's the kind of thing Grant Morrison wishes he could pull off, but never can.

Suicide Squad is the best it's been since Ostrander's original run. It's basically "What if the Suicide Squad movie was good?" It's kind of baffling, really.

Titans is a great book about young adult legacy heroes hanging out and being friends. It feels a lot more like the Teen Titans of yore than the actual Teen Titans book.

Wonder Woman is boring now, but the first 25 issues of the run by Greg Rucka are all-time great. He got in, told two year-long stories which totally defined the character forever, and got out.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

AQUAMAN, hands down.

Subjective
    Action Comics- Just a pure, straight-up Superman story that ties into the overarching Rebirth storyline. Also issue 1000 is coming up soon.
    All-Star Batman- If you liked Snyder's previous Batman work, this is just as good imo, and just a little more over-the-top than his New 52 run.
    Dark Nights: Metal- Even if you don't like Snyder on Batman, this thing is awesome, and looks to be potentially one of the best events I've ever read. All of the tie-ins have been great so far. Greg Capullo is doing some of his best work here.
    Justice League- It's been kind of bad, up until the current 'Legacy' arc which I've really been enjoying. The art by Fernando Pasarin is incredible and highly underrated.
    Super Sons- Just a really fun and cute story, that never gets too childish.
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps- I've only read the first couple arcs, but this is top-notch sci-fi superhero action. Rafa Sandoval and Ethan Van Sciver are killing it in the art department.
    Aquaman- Only read the most recent arc, which features Stjepan Sejic's artwork, and it gets a rec just for that.
    Mister Miracle- Potentially an instant classic. First two issues were incredible.

Objective (what I've gathered from around the internet)
    Deathstroke (near universal acclaim)
    Superman
    Detective Comics
    Red Hood and the Outlaws

Events/Crossovers
    Rebirth has featured some incredible events so far. All of them are over (besides Metal), but I recommend all of these if you're interested.
    DC Universe Rebirth #1 (I'm sure you've read this one, but if not, you're doing something wrong with your life)
    The Button (Flash/Batman crossover. Is the continuation of the events of Rebirth #1)
    Justice League vs. Suicide Squad (Surprisingly awesome and straight-forward good vs. evil, action story, with a who's who of DC's top artists. I highly recommend the tie-ins)
    Superman Reborn (Superman/Action Comics crossover answering the questions of the end of the New 52 about Superman's true identity)
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 10-02-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Deathstroke

And watch Priest make Justice League a success again.
    Overrated!!! Overrated!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Overrated!!! Overrated!!!
    I agree. I recently read the first volume of Deathstroke Rebirth and I didn't much care for it, even setting aside prior biases toward the title character.

The ones I'd recommend would be:

New Super-Man uses Chinese politics and mythology to create a clever take on a new superhero team.

Deathstroke is an espionage series with complicated family issues, and deceit on multiple fronts.

Nightwing is a strong character-driven series about a young man's search for normalcy after returning home from a war.

Aquaman deals with politics and rising tensions between nations in a cold war.

Super Sons is a kid-oriented Lethal Weapon-style action comedy series.

And these are not technically Rebirth, but certainly worth following nonetheless (and have recently launched):

Mister Miracle is a psychological thriller set in a backdrop of a cosmic war.

Nightwing: The New Order is a ground-level personal story set in an oppressive anti-superpower future.

I really like Green Lanterns. Only DC comic I'm following, so I can't comment on the others.

Superman.
    Action Comics.
    Aquaman.
    Red Hood and the Outlaws.
    Super Sons.
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps.
    New Super-Man.

Green Arrow, Batman, Hal Jordan, Aquaman, Flash.

Honorable mentions: Detective Comics and Rucka's Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My top 5 are:

Wonder Woman
    Titans
    Justice League of America
    Green Arrow
    Aquaman
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.