Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alt-Hero

Mighty Member

"Reveal" actually did an episode on this over the weekend. (That is how I found out about Alt-Hero.)

I haven't seen much reporting on this anywhere. Looks like there's a pretty highly backed crowdfund for a book that's out there as a response to Marvel's overpoliticizations lately. Anyone checked it out?
    Fighting polemicomics with....more polemicomics. (Joking aside, I am not a fan of polemicomics on principle, and can think of few creators in the industry who are qualified to write about politics beyond basic concepts.)

The Alt-Hero stuff looks and reads like a standard indie comic, but with a mix of right-wing nativism. (Mind you, I have based this on a cursory reading of what I see on-line. It might be more severe in some cases.)

It looks like a parody?

I mean, the white hero beating up an evil "foreigner", that's "Birth of a Nation" levels of garbage
    This sort of polemic (on the left or right) often runs that risk. I have a very mixed-partisan group of friends. And, I have seen statements (links or unique posts) from people on either side that could easily come from the other. But, knowing the person makes the difference between recognizing the posts as praise or condemnation (either fervent or mocking).

Look at the original "Dark Knight". Miller was mocking the dark side of 80s America. (Take that for what it is, in light of his more recent work and statements.)

For those that are unaware of how horrible the creator, Vox Day, is, here are just a few things the guy has said.

Gotta admit, some of this is new. (The "Reveal" episode I linked above does not have it. But, Letson is still awesome.)

On education for women
    Fun fact: low birth-rates can help lower taxes and make things easier for working people.

On throwing acid at women
    Holy ****. Wow.

I am not sure how maiming and brutalizing women is good for the economy. But....holy ****.

On female genital mutilation
    0_o

I might actually click this link later today. Or not.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Alt-Hero has been a bit hit & miss for me so far, but "QUANTUM MORTIS A Man Disrupted" from the same publisher has been excellent.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Mighty Member

Beale is wackadoodles enough that I would not consider giving him money. (The quotes from WorstPoster earlier in the thread are representative of Beale's writing. The guy is nuts.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Inb4 the mods censo-
    Errr, "lock" this thread.

Edit: Also, if the SJWs AND Alt-Right take over comics, I'm gonna go berserk. Keep politics out of entertainment.
    Last edited by Colt Cape; 09-29-2018 at 08:24 AM.
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

Mighty Member

Not sure why the thread would be locked/censored. Nobody is actually pushing a political angle.

That said, I agree in general principle. I do not want polemicomics, from the left or the right.

Astonishing Member

There is an interview with Dixon about this comic. Very disappointing to find out he belongs to a white supremacist group like the alt right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not surprised, the alt-right is basically anti- "anything that's not a straight white male".

The funny thing is how much the Alt-Right and "Radical Islam" have in common.

They are both anti-female
    They are both anti-LGBT
    They don't have tolerance for other people with different skin color
    They are anti-reproductive rights
    They are somewhat coded by religious beliefs
    Conservative extremists have the same basic views regardless of religion.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Cape View Post
    Inb4 the mods censo-
    Errr, "lock" this thread.

Edit: Also, if the SJWs AND Alt-Right take over comics, I'm gonna go berserk. Keep politics out of entertainment.
    Have a rating. Rated double P for partisan politics.

Politics in itself is not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    There is an interview with Dixon about this comic. Very disappointing to find out he belongs to a white supremacist group like the alt right.
    What does alt right even mean?

Why should i take how the media uses it seriously? When i look at it pretty much means you lump in Gary Johnson with some dude who wants a race war and wants white people to emulate the Japan of the early 40s. it's a meaningless definition.

With that said Vox Day is probably white separatist and racist. Or he he is pretending to be one for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Politics aside, this looks terrible.

Politics considered, this looks terrible.

And some of those comments... it baffles me that people like that can be fans of superheroes.

"Intended to challenge and replace Marvel and DC" ... lol
    Do i have to be a moral person to enjoy a superhero story? Do i have to be immoral to enjoy stories with bad people as protagonists?
    Last edited by Red Robe Jaldari; 10-16-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Mighty Member

Is Dixon an actual member of the Alt Right, or is he just taking a job? (Is there another interview, besides the "Reveal" interview" linked above?)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Is Dixon an actual member of the Alt Right, or is he just taking a job? (Is there another interview, besides the "Reveal" interview" linked above?)
    I don't know but he has the same speech pattern as anyone from the white supremacist alt right hate group.
    http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/1...ding-campaign/

Dixon told us, “I’ll do my work on this project if I have to write it for free.”

He believes the campaign was shut down due to “politics.” And he doesn’t think this will be the last time independent creators who have differing politics will be targeted. We asked him if he believes further moves will be made against creators because of their politics. Dixon responded, “Absolutely. The left will weaponize anything to shut down free speech.”
    For some reason, the alt right can't comprehend that a private company shutting down their own product is freedom of speech.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 10-19-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Mighty Member

I agree that private companies have a right to decide what they publish, and which creators they hire. The problem is the hypocrisy on both sides.

The left will often argue that there is an obligation for private organizations to support "the community" (or something comparably floofy), including supporting free speech as an inherent good. And, in those situations, the right will argue that there is no obligation. (I tend to agree with the second proposition, no obligation.)

Then, there are situations like this.

I don't know but he has the same speech pattern as anyone from the white supremacist alt right hate group.
    I am not seeing anything specific to the alt right in what Dixon is saying. He is being partisan, and petty. And, yes, a bit hypocritical. But, those are not traits unique to the alt right.

And, to be fair, the left is happy to shout down people they disagree with. (I am a lefty, and have am often called out for not being left-enough.)

Someone tell me how the alt right is defined at this moment?

Better if politics were discussed elsewhere I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRA View Post
    Better if politics were discussed elsewhere I think.
    Because?

____________________-

Because this is the comics area, and there is one for politics elsewhere.