Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Star Trek: The Animated Series vs Transformers 1984 Comic Series Announced

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-idw-co...mer-1826960426

Sounds like a fun logical match up. IDW does well with Star Trek Crossovers.

Laughing my ass off at how crazily wonderful this is. As said, IDW's Trek has had a good run with crossovers so far, but what makes this something that'll get me to pick up the first two issues at least is that it combines the style of the G1 Cartoon and TAS. They easily could've just done them normally, but putting them in the style of their cartoons just makes it even better, especially seeing G1 Cartoon-style Windblade and the return of TAS characters Arex and M'Ress.

The only thing that can make this better is if the Enterprise will gain a consciousness and become a Transformer itself. Transform and boldly go where no one has gone before!

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Laughing my ass off at how crazily wonderful this is. As said, IDW's Trek has had a good run with crossovers so far, but what makes this something that'll get me to pick up the first two issues at least is that it combines the style of the G1 Cartoon and TAS. They easily could've just done them normally, but putting them in the style of their cartoons just makes it even better, especially seeing G1 Cartoon-style Windblade and the return of TAS characters Arex and M'Ress.

The only thing that can make this better is if the Enterprise will gain a consciousness and become a Transformer itself. Transform and boldly go where no one has gone before!
    You wrote exactly what I was gonna write. Great decision on their part.
    And good call on the Enterprise being a transformer! Hopefully an autobot

Well so far, this 4-part limited series is off to a good, fun, and intriguing start.

Art-wise, it's pretty good, capturing the looks of the G1 cartoon and The Animated Series. Though in the latter case, perhaps a little too well. Any who have watched Star Trek TAS would be aware of the massively cheap Filmation animation with limited movements and facial expressions, so to see what the animated characters would look like without that limitation is really odd. It's not bad or anything, it's just something to notice. As for the Transformers themselves, they look like they jumped straight out of the show, and even the designs of two certain TF characters that were NOT in G1 don't look too bad.

Story-wise, both properties get their time to shine, in a sense. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that in this first issue, the conflict is mainly between the Enterprise and the Decepticons, while the Klingons and Autobots are more in the background. The circumstances on how this whole thing started and precisely why the Transformers are here in the first place isn't fully explained and will of course will be delved into later on, but it is intriguing.

Character-wise, all the characters were written just as they were way back when. Nobody felt odd or anything like that. Really with perhaps the removal of certain characters, I can totally see this playing out in an animated TV special.

Overall, a solid start to this. Can't wait to see where this series will go and the second part on October 17.

Why Star Trek and Transformers though?

(I am a fan of the old TAS cartoon, so I'll have to look this up when the trade comes out.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why Star Trek and Transformers though?

(I am a fan of the old TAS cartoon, so I'll have to look this up when the trade comes out.)
    Why NOT Star Trek and Transformers? Though I am endlessly amused at how both fandoms have people in a major uproar over this, citing any amount of criticism from "Why are they ruining G1 even further", to "Why use the crappy Star Trek cartoon", to "This needs to be more serious", to pretty much any amount of criticism towards Windblade, to just the sheer ludicrousness of the whole thing.

Both Trek and TF had had crossovers with other franchises a lot odder than this one. And this is some good fun to read to balance out the depressing but good issue of Lost Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Why NOT Star Trek and Transformers? Though I am endlessly amused at how both fandoms have people in a major uproar over this, citing any amount of criticism from "Why are they ruining G1 even further", to "Why use the crappy Star Trek cartoon", to "This needs to be more serious", to pretty much any amount of criticism towards Windblade, to just the sheer ludicrousness of the whole thing.

Both Trek and TF had had crossovers with other franchises a lot odder than this one. And this is some good fun to read to balance out the depressing but good issue of Lost Light.
    I'm not actually "in an uproar" about it; I guess to me it doesn't haven the same logic to it that something like DC and IDW's Batman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossovers did.

But, hey, if they're doing a classic Transformers crossover, using the Star Trek cartoon makes a lot of sense (keeping it in the same medium, as it where). It actually sounds like it could be a lot of fun. (Besides, crossovers aren't canon, anyways, so who cares if they make the franchises a little odd for the sake of the story.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Reading #2 late, but I really loved this issue. And I applaud them for one point: actually giving an explanation for how the two franchises crossed over in the first place. The reason is both obvious and fascinating, especially when it comes to thinking about the greater Star Trek franchise. Now I really wish this wasn't just a four issue miniseries. There are so many cool and silly possibilities they can do with this.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I haven't noticed this on my LCS's shelf at all.

Will for sure have to check out the trade when it happens.

Love both franchises and wish that TAS had gotten more episodes back in the day!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime