Amazing Member

Default Has Micheal Cray just nullified the Wildstorm reboot - SPOILER

Wildstorm and the reboot have had the perfect chance to move away from what is a new and (re)growing DCU and establish something gritty , exciting and new.
    Jim Lee all those years ago , took a punt on Wildcats , established it quite forcefully within an independant NEW universe.
    so SPOILER.....why use Oliver Queen , why use the back story , yes its not the same character as current Ollie , but for me it shows unoriginality , poor storytelling and has soured this entire reboot line for me.

Got to disagree.

Since there will be a "Mainstream DCU" Apollo and Midnighter along with the "The Wild Storm" universe's versions of those two characters, I have zero problem with the idea that there could also be versions of other "Mainstream DCU" characters in "The Wild Storm" universe.

Prime Earth should have counterparts to characters in most if not all the 52 Earths. so i have no problem with the other Earths having versions of the DC Prime characters.

Astonishing Member

I actually adore the notion that Mainstream DCU characters can show up in Wildstorm but that "anything goes" in that post-90s, revivalist, edgy, but thankfully streamlined and modern world. I hope they pick and choose carefully, but this one was a fun one.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I actually adore the notion that Mainstream DCU characters can show up in Wildstorm but that "anything goes" in that post-90s, revivalist, edgy, but thankfully streamlined and modern world. I hope they pick and choose carefully, but this one was a fun one.
    Yeah I like that idea as well. There has been so many comics out there that use doppelgängers of DC characters to tell gritty stories. It will be interesting to see a universe like this where the actual DC characters can show up. Obviously I would hate to see them take over or get their own book based in the Wildstorm universe. But guest spots like this are fine with me.

This isn't even really a new thing. In the original Wildstorm universe counterparts of the Justice League eventually arose in Planetary. They did not last long, though.

Not a problem neither. It has been interesting to seehow they had make appearances in sometimes twisted ways and also not as the main characters.
    I like to especulate than in this universe two kids from Cleveland saw Mr. Majestic around 1938 and that give them an idea.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Grifter should join the Justice League. He's the best Wildstorm character, if done right.

Amazing Member

I'll chime in on the side of its not all that bad.

Already in the main series they have put in numerous little Easter Eggs that this has some slight integrations from something similar to the "main" DC. References to Martian Manhunter, Kord Tech, and i'm sure others that I'm not recalling off the top of my head.

It is still decidedly a fully separate world, there is no way that this current Wild Storm world has any direct links to the main, but it does just allow for a little bit more of a built up world to reference existing entities.

Out of curiosity, I have been avoiding reading interviews as I want to get the story relatively spoiler free, numberthirty mentioned Apollo & Midnighter, has there actually been a mention of versions of them appearing? I mean given the scale/length of what seems to be in the works it wouldn't shock me, but I haven't seen a hint of them yet.

I am really enjoying the main books take on the old WildStorm universe and look forward to seeing how it progresses, and while I will admit having a more "direct" tie with the blatant CW-style Arrow ref and call out to Bruce Wayne, I think it works. If we bend our brains a bit and slide this into an Earth-52 or whatever # we want to give it, there is no reason for there not to be duplicate people on both earths, and when you strip out just about all the Metahuman/Aliens to replace them with the WildStorm staples, you are left with the main DC heros who's origins have no other basis. I.E. Oliver Queens island crash (whether by accident or corporate sabotage) Bruce Wayne's parent's death in (random/orchestrated) mugging, even Ted Kord developing technology. These continue to build up the "this is a parallel DCEarth" feel that works even better if you are aiming for a more and yet at the same time integrated universe.

If we are going to enjoy Ellis doing a deep dive on the backstory/lore/characters of old WildStorm properties and distilling them down and remixing them for this new take there is no real reason not to allow him to add a bit of spice from elsewhere.

And while I'm here, did anyone else with the introduction of John Colt, and his escape from the IO facility get a strong vibe that he might have been a renamed version of Ambrose Chase from Planetary? I know that that is Spartan/Yohn Kohl in the original timeline, but the way he presented he came off that way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    And while I'm here, did anyone else with the introduction of John Colt, and his escape from the IO facility get a strong vibe that he might have been a renamed version of Ambrose Chase from Planetary? I know that that is Spartan/Yohn Kohl in the original timeline, but the way he presented he came off that way to me.
    Felt that way, to me.

Could also be some sort of a combination of the two ideas.

Actually Seth, it felt like there was even more to the connection you mentioned to me. If I can dig up the other thread, I'll quote your post and bring them up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by synthetik View Post
    Wildstorm and the reboot have had the perfect chance to move away from what is a new and (re)growing DCU and establish something gritty , exciting and new.
    Jim Lee all those years ago , took a punt on Wildcats , established it quite forcefully within an independant NEW universe.
    so SPOILER.....why use Oliver Queen , why use the back story , yes its not the same character as current Ollie , but for me it shows unoriginality , poor storytelling and has soured this entire reboot line for me.

I'll say no it hasn't nullified the reboot, provided as these "DC" characters don't appear in the main title - which is amazing. that makes it easier to "separate" them.

I can't wait to see Michael Cray off the Wildstorm Bruce Wayne.

Invincible Member

I was apprehensive at first, but after reading this issue, I feel it was well done.