Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think a bigger problem that she didn't had a regular appearance for so long, that it is hard to say if how much of her former fan base is still around.
    Even Tim Drake (who had at least 3 times as many solo issues as Cass) might now not be able anymore to sell an ongoing.
    Not too mention the Orphan name seems like a flop.

I personally don't think of it as a bad thing. I'd rather we get some representation with the change of a characters nationality like Iris, then no representation at all.

This whole discussion is stupid.

Good grief

Lets make Han Solo black, or Charlie Brown hispanic,
    W
    Hmm, maybe Rorschack can be a Chinese lesbian in Doomsday clock.

Do you see how stupid race/nationalty/ethnicity swapping is?

What if a Japanese man plays black panther in Black Panther 2?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    But what do I know, I've wanted them to make Superman bisexual for years, and I know that idea has enemies.
    He's an alien from a planet of conveniently-humanoid-aliens vastly differently evolved than humans, so him dating Lois *at minimum* is like Lois dating a chimpanzee (and actually, Lois dating a chimp would be way more 'kissing cousins' than Superman dating a human!).

Being bisexual would be the least shocking thing about his sexuality, by comparison.

As Batman said, when a court was attempting to define Swamp Things relationship with Abby as 'bestiality,' "Better round up all the people dating outside their species. Starfire's people are descended from cats, I think. Metamorpho, obviously. And then there's what's-his-name. In Metropolis. With the cape..."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    For SOME characters, race/nationalty/ethnicity is an essential component. For SOME, it isn't.

Han Solo's ethnicity isn't terribly important, because the setting he inhabits doesn't seem to exhibit similar cultural behaviors toward ethnicity that ours does... or settings that are meant to mirror ours. Hispanic Charlie Brown might actually work, given that's he's a child, Hispanics CAN be read as white by others, and the language of the adults is indecipherable, suggesting a language barrier ...it's worth a conversation to dissect.

Chinese Lesbian Rorshach reminds me of gay Batman & Superman (Midnighter & Apollo)... and might be a more interesting character to read.

Japanese Black Panther is a violation, because his character is ENTIRELY built around views and actions regarding his ethnicity.

Well in Black Panther's case, his race is defined as a essential core to the character's creation. Race changing him wouldn't make any sense and would destroy the very foundation of his initial creation.

Astonishing Member

Good grief

W

Did you read the original post? That's not what this thread was supposed to be about.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DamianBane View Post
    I personally don't think of it as a bad thing. I'd rather we get some representation with the change of a characters nationality like Iris, then no representation at all.
    Representation isn't recolored white characters for the sake of ticking off a box. It's crafting with the character's background in mind and being represented with an original character that doesn't need or require established white characters to shine.

Incredible Member

Good grief

W

Why make Han Solo black when you have Lando Calrissian?

Why reinvent Chuck when you have Jose Peterson (whose backstory of being half Mexican and half Swedish could be explored)? Just like making Chuck black when you have Franklin?

How about just use what's established or just create characters to explore different story options?
    Last edited by C-Dot; 10-13-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Makes sense to have some diversity in the rosters, histories, or even some established characters.

It's not like it somehow negates other comic characters or something.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Makes sense to have some diversity in the rosters, histories, or even some established characters.

It's not like it somehow negates other comic characters or something.
    it kind of does when the original characters who were actually created with diversity in mind are riding the bench instead of being utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    it kind of does when the original characters who were actually created with diversity in mind are riding the bench instead of being utilized.
    I think we may be talking about two different things.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    I think we may be talking about two different things.
    I get what you are saying.

The point he is making is it's hard to build up Duke Thomas when you got Black Wally around.

Duke is a new character and what has been done with him in Batman? Yo add up all his appearances in the Rebirth Bat books and they equal 5 issues.

Wally has had at least more than in Flash, Teen Titans & Deathstroke.

Duke is in two top selling Batman books and what is there to show?

Wally is in 3 decent selling books.

It's not like at Marvel where you got Peter & Miles getting page time at the same time. Because someone is willing to invest in both.

With the way Duke is being done-you make him a HARDER sale versus Wally. Because when these book hit bins and are ultra CHEAP-SOMEONE is going to pick up the books that they are in. Wally is going to benefit way more than Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I get what you are saying.

The point he is making is it's hard to build up Duke Thomas when you got Black Wally around.

Duke is a new character and what has been done with him in Batman? Yo add up all his appearances in the Rebirth Bat books and they equal 5 issues.

Wally has had at least more than in Flash, Teen Titans & Deathstroke.

Duke is in two top selling Batman books and what is there to show?

Wally is in 3 decent selling books.

It's not like at Marvel where you got Peter & Miles getting page time at the same time. Because someone is willing to invest in both.

With the way Duke is being done-you make him a HARDER sale versus Wally. Because when these book hit bins and are ultra CHEAP-SOMEONE is going to pick up the books that they are in. Wally is going to benefit way more than Duke.
    Yeah, that's why I think he and I were talking about something else.

I meant when a more diverse hero comes along it doesn't erase the accomplishments of one it replaced.

In regards to characters like Duke, it sucks because that's a missed opportunity on more than one level.

Representation shouldn't be achieved by reskinning white characters. I say this as a Hispanic person.