All-New Member

Default why Ms. Marvel is Ms. Marvel

why a inhuman that have similar powers to Mr. Fantastic is called Ms. Marvel I'm Honestly So Confused by this Usually a successor needs to have a similar powers and abilitys
    or be trained by who she or he will succeed

Quote Originally Posted by anakin99 View Post
    why a inhuman that have similar powers to Mr. Fantastic is called Ms. Marvel I'm Honestly So Confused by this Usually a successor needs to have a similar powers and abilitys
    Read the first issue. It is both great, and answers your point. Ms. Marvel is technically a self chosen successor. But to say any more is to spoil that first issue.

Well, she's not really a legacy, despite consistently being defined as one; it was a discarded mantle, not an inherited one; and she appropriated it accidentally, when her friend called in that Ms. Marvel got shot, because she'd involuntarily shape shifted into Carol Danvers.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Usually yes but there is no fixed rule in stone about it.

Besides, does it matter? The fact that she has different powers from Carol makes her unique and different from her and others like Miles.

Finally, Kamala decided to honor Carol's legacy because of the admiration she feels for her and that is far more important than having similar powers or be trained by Carol.

Heroes inspire people by example and those who feel the call try to honor their predecessors by using their colors or their names or by defending their ideals.
    Last edited by Knives; 10-03-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Well, she's not really a legacy, despite consistently being defined as one; it was a discarded mantle, not an inherited one; and she appropriated it accidentally, when her friend called in that Ms. Marvel got shot, because she'd involuntarily shape shifted into Carol Danvers.
    Quoted for truth.

She's not really a legacy character. There was no Ms Marvel when Kamala assumed the mantle.

Also her powers aren't like Mr Fantastic's powers.

Honestly, the fact that Kamala is not a 100% complete Legacy character in the vein that we're used to is a massive plus for her. I've observed that, among all the Legacy Marvel heroes, she is one of those that is either not hated as much, or is actually well liked.

Because lord knows we don't need to add yet ANOTHER reason to hate this character.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Ms. Marvel is a very generic name, anyway, that has nothing to do with powers. She's wearing the symbol that was associated with Carol for decades.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

I think it's a bit silly to try to split hairs and say she's not a legacy character.

She's a hero inspired by another who has taken on the name.

A character doesn't have to be dead or take it directly from the predecessor to be a legacy. Though perhaps your mileage may vary on that.

It's also one of the more interesting ones because you rarely see legacy characters with power sets different from the other member. Her powers amusingly make her closer to one of Carol's "enemies" Mystique.

Niffleheim

I like this kind of "legacy" with similar powers i feel it would make it easier to disqualify the successor of the mantle when the period of succession reaches its end.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Also her powers aren't like Mr Fantastic's powers.
    Actually, they are - but she has additional powers Reed lacks i.e. full shapeshifting like Mystique, and her healing factor. She's still learning to be more creative with her stretching instead of just making giant fists or extending her legs for fast travel.

Anyway, in-universe, she was such a big fan of Carol that when she first got her powers, she woke up involuntarily shapeshifted into Carol in her old Ms. Marvel costume. When she went public as herself, she kept the thunderbolt imagery and used Captain Marvel's colour scheme, including a scarf like Carol had on her first costume, but gave the whole ensemble her own cultural flourish. In real life, the reason she's Ms. Marvel was to maintain the trademark. If Kamala wasn't a success, it would've been "oh well, that's the name safe for a few years". Instead, she's become so popular that they need Carol to succeed as the Captain, because she can't revert to her old name - Kamala is here for the long haul.