Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why no love for Batman/The Shadow?

To me, this was probably one of the best Batman stories I've read since early Snyder (Black Mirror).

Also, we get the sequel straight away... The Shadow/Batman #1 is coming this week I believe.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I'm waiting until I get the last issue, so I can read it all in one sitting. I love this pairing, and these are two of my favorite comic book characters.

It was financially and critically successful hence the sequel but because it's not exactly click baity or publicity grabbing like metal, white knight or a proposal it's not being widely discussed.
    Looking forward to the sequel.

I am in this comic... I don´t like the Joker appearance(is another Jared Leto) but Good..

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Agreeing with steeplejack and Fergus.
    Is the sequel from Dynamite? Would be nice to push their numbers a bit.

It was good. Very interesting story. Wouldn't mind seeing someone like Nightwing or Robin get involved as well in the sequel though. Because the Family is incredibly important to Bruce after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    It was good. Very interesting story. Wouldn't mind seeing someone like Nightwing or Robin get involved as well in the sequel though. Because the Family is incredibly important to Bruce after all.
    Robin is in the sequel

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Looking forward to the sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Is the sequel from Dynamite? Would be nice to push their numbers a bit.
    Offhand, I'm not sure if it's a true "sequel" or not. Both have Steve Orlando writing them, but is Snyder involved with The Shadow/Batman?

And there was a similar deal when Dark Horse and Dynamite had a team-up of Conan the Barbarian (a Dark Horse property) and Red Sonja (currently licensed by Dynamite). Dark Horse published the Conan / Red Sonja miniseries (written by Gail Simone & Jim Zub with art by Dan Panosian) and that was followed by a Red Sonja / Conan from Dynamite (written by Victor Gischler with art by Roberto Castro). As far as I'm aware, those two were not really connected in order to label one as a "sequel".

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Oh, I'm loving it. It is super cool. I hope they give the series at least a HC treatment.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I recently listened to a podcast (all participants were 20-somethings) where the topic of Conan the Barbarian came up. I was much dismayed to hear that only a few of them were familiar with Conan, and even then they had no interest ('Conan isn't relevant to me', one of them said). It made me think of these classic characters and how, as time goes on, they might be forgotten (The Shadow, Lone Ranger, Conan, Tarzan). I don't even know that there's even an audience still for characters like Flash Gordon (not that I'm a fan myself) or Buck Rogers (watched the NBC show as a kid during the 80's, my first intro to him and was surprised to learn he was a 'Golden Age' creation).

Some of these guys are great characters, but I wonder how many younger readers give a rat's ass about The Shadow. It's sad and I hope I'm wrong about them eventually fading away.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Robin is in the sequel
    Just read it. And clearly not set in the Rebirth Universe, but still interested to see where the sequel goes.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I recently listened to a podcast (all participants were 20-somethings) where the topic of Conan the Barbarian came up. I was much dismayed to hear that only a few of them were familiar with Conan, and even then they had no interest ('Conan isn't relevant to me', one of them said). It made me think of these classic characters and how, as time goes on, they might be forgotten (The Shadow, Lone Ranger, Conan, Tarzan). I don't even know that there's even an audience still for characters like Flash Gordon (not that I'm a fan myself) or Buck Rogers (watched the NBC show as a kid during the 80's, my first intro to him and was surprised to learn he was a 'Golden Age' creation).

Some of these guys are great characters, but I wonder how many younger readers give a rat's ass about The Shadow. It's sad and I hope I'm wrong about them eventually fading away.
    I always loved the bad Schwarzenegger movie, the fantastic job Dark Horse/Busiek/Truman did and got choked up when I read up on REH. The Shadow seems less fortunate in recent years but I love the Baldwin movie. Matt Wagner's run was amazing, Ennis' unfortunately not.

Really enjoyed the issue. Interesting start with Robin being extra extra. He was a tad too batman and the situation between him and Bruce is intriguing. Not much Shadow but I expect that will change.

Mighty Member

I really enjoy it and one of the better crossovers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Oh, I'm loving it. It is super cool. I hope they give the series at least a HC treatment.
    According to Amazon, "Batman/The Shadow: The Murder Geniuses" HC is coming November 28.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Matt Wagner's run was amazing, Ennis' unfortunately not.
    Having read most of Dynamite's Shadow stuff, i concur about Wagner - he really seems to get the character.

The 3 volumes of the main book as well as the various one shots, minis and crossovers have been of varying quality. Ennis' short run was ok I thought. Ron Marz wrote some nice one shots. I liked the David Liss mini.

Gischler, Roberson, Chaykin, Bunn not so much. The jury is still out on Si Spurrier's current run...
    Last edited by Ying Ko; 10-05-2017 at 07:56 AM.