Default From Western Publishing to Harvey Comics - Humor Books!

Here's a place for anyone who shares a fondness for humor books, most based on popular cartoons and some not. Many starring animals but not all, we can talk about teen humor books like Archie here or save that for a thread dedicated to Archie and other teen humor books.

Anyone read the new Rocky and Bullwinkle and Mr. Peabody and Sherman books from IDW? How are they?

Anyone still read the Garfield book? I read the first few issues and it was a bit 'meh.'

It's hard to capture the feel from cartoons onto comicbooks sometimes. The DC Looney Tunes book is a bit disappointing but many of the Hanna-Barbera comics were good. I thought many of The Flintstone books were really good, as well as Yogi, Jetsons and other H-B adaptations. The Western Publishing Looney Tunes books were of better quality, they seemed to have better stories.

The IDW Popeye book was great and twelve issues was a decent run, I would hope they take another stab at a Popeye book to tie-in with the upcoming Popeye animated film from Sony. Maybe title the next Popeye series 'Popeye The Sailor' to mix it up a bit.

Transitioning from Ducks to capes I went through a brief Archie phase, any thoughts on Archie books? How about the old Harvey books, i'm not too familiar with them. I have som old Star Comics from Marvel, Heathcliff was a favorite. I got one of those comic bundles at Toys'R'Us in the 90s and they had Heathcliff, Flintstone Kids, Heathcliff's Funhouse, Rocky and Bullwinkle and Count Duckula. I never saw the Count Duckula cartoon but the comic was fun. Count Duckula and his pals went on the Geraldo show and giving him greif. Don't know where the book is now. Star Comics had ALF comics, I loved Alf. Yo!

I do remember the early 90s incarnation of Harvey Comics and they had some nice reprint issues of Woody Woodpecker, Felix the Cat and Hanna-Barbera.

If I were doing an All-Ages DC kids line I would do...
    1. Bugs Bunny- new material
    2. Daffy Duck - new material
    3. Looney Tunes- continue numbering, reprinted ten-pagers from Western Publishing
    4. Scooby-Doo Where Are You? - continue numbering, classic reprints
    5. Scooby-Doo- New material
    6. Scooby-Doo Team-Up
    7. Flintstones- I would like to think that the all-ages market would support a new Flintstones book

Fantastic Member

The Harvey publish Hanna-Barbera comics were actually reprints from the Charlton line during the early 70's.

I've lost interest in every Harvey character (even though they were a big part of my childhood) except Richie Rich. I wouldn't hesitate in buying a collection of his best stories, not just for memory's sake, but because the concept is still unique as far as I know. Who else has a similar premise? Maybe Barry Ween and Dexter's Lab (both of which I really love), but they both have a sci-fi slant, unlike RR.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Harvey characters weren't so great. I wish someone would publish Flintstone comics again. I'll take reprints but would perfer new material of course!

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

Sad Sack is one of my all time favorites and added the Golden Age Sad Sack through issue 124)to my collection plus other Sad Sack spin off titles.
    Also added Humor books from TV shows I watched/remembered as a child, Beany and Cecil, Tom Terrific.
    Although I did watch the Flinstones and Jetsons in primetime I never collected the comics.
    Last edited by marvelmaniac6169; 08-20-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Harvey characters weren't so great. I wish someone would publish Flintstone comics again. I'll take reprints but would perfer new material of course!
    The Flintstones will make a return to comics, as they meet with the Scooby gang in DC's SCOOBY-DOO TEAM UP #7 this November.