Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The case for making Wonder Woman the leader of Justice League

I'd actually like to discuss what it could mean to Wonder Woman as a character to take the center stage both in Justice League in live action and comics. I honestly think that very much like Cap, Wonder Woman is a character that would benefit GREATLY of ascending to the position of leadership in both films and comics. That could be actually Justice League's film secret weapon AND it could benefit her comic heavily.

What I'd like to see done in comics:

Getting someone NEW writing her comic AND Justice League. Christopher Priest is pitch perfect for Justice League, not sure about Wonder Woman, but I'd love to see Justice League lead by Wonder Woman and having the same writer doing both books. Make her the main. Batman is a big book seller on his own, Superman is also a big book seller and he's well, Superman. He will be fine as long as Jurgens and Tomasi are doing his books.

Wonder Woman though could use some character development AND ascension on comics that would reflect her prominence in the films right now. James Robinson is doing her book now, but what I'd love to see is Priest ending his seminal run with Deathstroke and getting to write both Justice League and Wonder Woman. Or if you want to make a new creators dance chairs, I'd love to see Kieron Gillen and Marguerite Bennet teaming up again (their run on Angela was absolutely brilliant for Marvel Comics, such an underrated incredible gem) for both books.

There's something about Wonder Woman taking the leadership role in Justice League that just feels right in the current climate, just like having Cap taking the leadership back in the 60s of The Avengers felt right, and how Chris Evans literally embodies the character better than anything in the comics right now. Wonder Woman and Captain America are two characters that are way better in live action than in the comics right now, and while I see movements towards a better Cap run - FINALLY - in the comics I just don't think that Wonder Woman and Justice League are truly living up to its true potential in the comics side right now. Better than Hydra Cap, HELL YES, but anything is better than that.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

I dropped WW for the time being (when the Robinson run ends I’ll pick it up again) but I’d love her to be the leader of the JL.

I mean, I see the three of the trinity being the leaders, not just Bruce (or Clark sometimes). But you got an excellent point, I think Wondy has the skills for leading a team of such caliber, but the writers never use it because...I don’t wanna say misogyny but it kinda is.

Niffleheim

Wasn't she the leader during the GF's Darkseid Wars?

Always saw the League being ran by committee, more than anything else. With veteran members having more say then newer ones. I wouldn't mind an arc where Diana takes center stage, with the rest of the League helping or taking their cues from her, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Always saw the League being ran by committee, more than anything else. With veteran members having more say then newer ones. I wouldn't mind an arc where Diana takes center stage, with the rest of the League helping or taking their cues from her, though.
    Very much this, they are a group formed of respect and trust. There isn't really a set leader but any of the senior members can fit that role whenever it's needed.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think Diana as leader of the league would make a lot of sense, for a lot of reasons besides current climate with the movies. She has a natural capacity for leadership and has great diplomatic skills as an ambassador and due to her compassion & empathy. Everyone trusts her in a very similar way to Superman. She's also always had a bit less of own world outside of Themyscira, she doesn't have a designated city so to speak, so she can more easily take responsibility of the league. I'm reading "The Nail" right now and Diana seems to be the defacto leader, and it seems perfectly natural.

That is of course presuming that the League needs a leader in the first place. They've had a chairman but over the years it seemed to decentralize into a consensus-base team. Would be interesting to track and analyze the leadership structure of the league over time.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I dropped WW for the time being (when the Robinson run ends I’ll pick it up again) but I’d love her to be the leader of the JL.
    You only gave him one issue?
    Geez, it wasn't "vegetative injustice!" bad, was it?!?

(I hung on through Shea Fontana's mediocre fill-in arc; I figure I can give Robinson a few issues at least.)

I mean, I see the three of the trinity being the leaders, not just Bruce (or Clark sometimes). But you got an excellent point, I think Wondy has the skills for leading a team of such caliber, but the writers never use it because...I don’t wanna say misogyny but it kinda is.
    I actually did the opposite. I picked it up because of Robinson.

It sounds good, but I think there shouldn't be a definitive leader for the Justice League. All members of the team should get their chances to lead the team when a particular situation they are best equipped to handle arises. That's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I actually did the opposite. I picked it up because of Robinson.
    Same here. I am back to reading Wonder Woman now that Robinson has taken charge of the book.

BANNED

It's usually not a good pitch to argue that the character needs to be put in charge of a team, for the sake of the character.

But I agree actually, Diana should at the very least have a shot at taking the lead, because of her abilities as a leader:
    -In the flims, she's three or even four times the age of everyone else, she has the most experience.
    -She has been trained to both fight (as an Amazon) and lead (as a princess) by a society renowned for both qualities.
    -She is incredibly powerful and she leads from the front.
    -And crucially, she is a leader capable of making a hard choice.

So it would make sense to put her in charge. Batman is often mistrusted by the League because he does things behind it's back. Superman is the symbol of hope and a nice figurehead, but he isn't a leader and he isn't capable of making the hardest choices.

Wonder Woman in DCEU makes the most sense. Unless he comes back with renewed confidence i don't find Superman has a shot at leadership. Yes he is a good figure head. People seem to love him after his death but that does not make a leader(however i would love it). Batman is fine. He and Diana are the leaders for now. But will he be like this? I don't know. We shall not forget that he had given up his principles and was almost a villain in BvS. Can't say long term. Other heroes seem to be rookies.

In comics they better keep away such things. DCEU is like elseworlds. They shall not change comics just to fit the films. It makes no sense. Moviegoers are new audiences. Comic book fans are the loyal ones. Don't disturb fans by making changes to fit it to DCEU, if it becomes successful. Even the moviegoers who would come to comics will know by its vast continuity that this is not the same as movies.

I don't think anyone can be called a leader of JL. And i want it to stay that way. Each of them at least the older ones can be called a leader. If some writer like Priest wants to emphasize someone its fine. But i don't want it to be put down our throats. A DC committee to fit DCU to DCEU is something i am dead against. And such a decision would smell of a committee decision if writing is off. Give freedom to writers to tell their own stories and i would love Diana to be emphasized. (Even if i prefer Superman. In DCU he seems the most natural. He is inspiring, is level headed, looked up by the people and has tremendous experience. He is the one everyone trusts). In comics Superman has the strongest chance even if Aquaman, Diana are other candidates to be leaders. Batman always seems a bit off. But he can also be a leader. Flash, Cyborg don't seem fit for this. And Jessica and Simon are very new. I would have liked Mera. She is a queen. But she is new and is somewhat prone to emotions. I would love to see her but that makes no sense.

And finally i emphasize that JL does not seem to have a single leader. It is more a committee. It shall stay that way. The last thing i want is them having squabbles over leadership. An easy way for a writer to create drama.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-04-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You only gave him one issue?
    Geez, it wasn't "vegetative injustice!" bad, was it?!?

(I hung on through Shea Fontana's mediocre fill-in arc; I figure I can give Robinson a few issues at least.)
    Nah, didn’t even give him the first issue I really dislike the whole lost brother idea.

Eh, Fontana was alright, wouldn’t buy the trade. But it was kind of entertaining. Not master storytelling for sure.

Nah, didn’t even give him the first issue I really dislike the whole lost brother idea.
    Since the "lost brother" was, I believe, a Geoff Johns brainstorm (just another introduction of something unnecessary and possibly annoying into the backstory of a character I like), I won't hold it against Robinson. Maybe he can make something good come from it.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I've always been under the impression that the Justice League has always had rotating chairpersons who serve for a finite period of time, and that Diana has performed that role previously (as have most senior Justice League members).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014