BANNED

Default Harley Quinn: Antihero or Villain

What was better for the character, Harley Quinn being the Antihero or just be a villain thats Jokers henchwoman.

She's a villain, simple as that.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I vastly prefer the current take where she's a protagonist to any story where she's following the Joker. I also prefer her straddling the line between anti-hero and villain because it gives more story space.

Joker's punching bag/sidekick I mean a villain.

DC's Deadpool.

Villain protagonist/anti-hero. She's the most popular character DC has that was made in the last 25 years and probably the third most popular character overall after Batman and Superman. To make her a supporting character again would be the highest level of stupidity

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Sympathetic villain but a villain none the less. I don't understand why it seems that any female villain that gains any notoriety gets turned into an antihero? No ones trying to reform the Joker or Two Face( at least not perminantly ). It almost seems like some creators can't see women as villainous so they go about turning the characters into something they can wrap their heads around. Sad really, it's the primary reason why top ten villain lists have so few female villains on them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Sympathetic villain but a villain none the less. I don't understand why it seems that any female villain that gains any notoriety gets turned into an antihero? No ones trying to reform the Joker or Two Face( at least not perminantly ). It almost seems like some creators can't see women as villainous so they go about turning the characters into something they can wrap their heads around. Sad really, it's the primary reason why top ten villain lists have so few female villains on them.
    Let's not place all the blame on the creators here.If the fans didn't want it,the book(s) would have bombed.

The fact of the matter is this is want the fans wanted and writers provided it.Same with Poison ivy.

Now it is true that this means that DC is now short two of there most famous villains.If they were smart about it there would have used this to push two lesser known female villans to replace them so they ddeserve flank for lack of foresight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    What was better for the character, Harley Quinn being the Antihero or just be a villain thats Jokers henchwoman.
    Why are these the only two options?

What about villain-protagonist? Or villain who in no way whatsoever is the Joker's henchwoman?

Anyway, what's better depends on what kind of story it is: a Batman story or a Harley Quinn story.

Molock

She's neither and both at the same time. When she is with the Joker she is a total villain because that's what he wants her to be and she doesn't have the self esteem to voice her own opinions with him and taking into context their relationship, that's understandable, as its abusive as all hell. But when she is left to her own devices and the Joker isn't around she tends to try dip her foot into the hero pool but she's just not that good at it... Yet. But the fact that she tries to be a hero when she is on her own shows that deep down she doesn't want to be a villain. She doesn't want to hurt people. Hell she became a psychologist. A career built around helping people.
    Last edited by Molock; 10-03-2017 at 10:22 PM.

She's an enigma.

I don't care for the current watered down version in her book but on the flip side her whore origin retcon was bad as well.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

She's a villain.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Villain.. She is in Suicide Squad with criminals with amanda brain bomb... and katana..