Default Midnighter and Bruce

I asked this about Apollo and Clark in the Superman forums, so now for the other shoe to drop here.

Midnighter and Bruce: What is their deal?

Ok, so I know Midnighter is a gay Batman pastiche originally created by Wildstorm and then later incorporated into the DCU.

I know he is a metahuman / more violent version of Bruce who is married to a less powerful version of Clark called Apollo.

But I have no clue about Midnighter 's relationship with his direct progenitor.

Are Midnighter and Bruce friends?

Have they fought against each other?

Have they even officially met? If so, when and where (which issue)?

If the answer to that last one is no, then how do you think their relationship should be?

Should Bruce and Midnighter become close buddies? Distant but respectful colleagues? Rival antagonists to each other? Complete strangers still? Something else?

Bonus Q: I'm aware Midnighter has recently met Dick Grayson ... how did that go?

I'm not sure if Midnighter and Batman ever encountered each others, but Nightwing and him are frenemies, and their interactions are golden.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm not sure if Midnighter and Batman ever encountered each others, but Nightwing and him are frenemies, and their interactions are golden.
    This.
    Also I'm hoping Bruce retires and M joins the Justice League (in comics and movies both) but I know it'll never happen. Imagining it though, that'd be a ride

Not too my knowledge. I don't think they have met.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

I think Damian had the best description of Midnighter and Dicks relationship

I think Bruce and Midnighter might have met in the wildstorm comics when Andrew and Mid met Bruce and Clark.

You should check out Grayson for Midnighter and Dick interactions
    Midnighter also helped the family out in B&RE but I can't remember if he got to meet bruce

So I read up a little bit more on Midnighter.

There is no way him and Bruce would ever be friends.

In fact, if they ever did meet and Bruce was aware of half the stuff Midnighter has done, Bruce would treat him like an outright super - villain and ceaselessly try to bring him to justice for all the deaths Midnighter has caused.

Am I wrong in this assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So I read up a little bit more on Midnighter.

There is no way him and Bruce would ever be friends.

In fact, if they ever did meet and Bruce was aware of half the stuff Midnighter has done, Bruce would treat him like an outright super - villain and ceaselessly try to bring him to justice for all the deaths Midnighter has caused.

Am I wrong in this assessment?
    Bruce has no problem with Jason now and porked Talia Al Ghul. His stance on murder isn't as strict as it used to be.

Then there's the fact that Midnighter supplied Dick with the device used to remove the bomb from Damians head. You have to imagine Bruce would be grateful. Also in the issue of Tec where Tim "died" Bruce mentioned something about contacting Dick and Midnighter to help.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Should Bruce and Midnighter become close buddies? Distant but respectful colleagues? Rival antagonists to each other? Complete strangers still? Something else?
    I'm not reading the books so someone will have to correct me. But the last time I read Batman, Bruce was more of a solitary man and was careful about whom he wanted to be in close relationship with. And from what I have read over the years those with whom he had friendships with tended to be a bit more like minded. Very intelligent and very serious.

One of the things that attracted me to the Midnighter as a character is his irreverence and the fact that he’s a tough guy who doesn’t take himself too seriously. He’s completely confident in who he is, and he does not allow his demons to run him.

While initially seen as a darker Batman. To me he seems to be more of a hybrid of Wolverine and Captain America. An ex-soldier who’s been around the block and has no need to prove what a big man he is. Yet at the same time won’t think twice about putting the bully and the a/hole in their place. And if he has to be a bit rough or even kill so be it. People who prey on others should not be able to get off scott free. The Midnighter wouldn’t think twice about offing the Joker.

They would work together professionally but that's it. I think that Batman would see Midnighter as a barely in control of himself brute. And the Midnighter would view Batman as an uptight snob who dresses up as a superhero to cure his boredom. The Midnighter wouldn’t take orders from an arrogant Batman, and Batman wouldn’t want to lower himself to work with a man he views as a thug . They are two alpha males who are not receptive to orders so there would have to be an extenuating circumstance for them to want need to work together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    You have to imagine Bruce would be grateful.
    Gratitude is not an emotion Bruce Wayne is capable of.