Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Batman : White Knight Discussion [Spoiler]

So... what did you think of this first issue ? Personally, I'm liking it a lot. Perhaps because the art and the story seems to be perfect matches for each others here. Perhaps because I like to see the Joker-Batman relationship explored from this angle... i can't really tell you why it click, but it does.

Even giving a finite origin to the Joker (something I usually really don't like) works here, and the reason for why Batman is so reckless, spoilers:
    Alfred
    end of spoilers, feels welcome, since it help explains why this one is going insane. But there is also some feeling of some bigger things going on. Especially for the pill scene and how it came to the public view, it may be the first warning of some big bad joke.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Batman does seem more than a bit overly jerkish, even given the explanation. Hopefully, we'll get some more scenes where he talks to Babs and Dick to show who he truly is. The designs are great, but character wise, so far it's mostly people yelling at each other, which isn't my favorite.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Probably one of the best set up issues I've ever read. Love the art as always. I've been in love since his art on Tokyo Ghost so seeing his interpretation of Gotham is a dream.

Sounds intriguing thus far.

Time will tell if the execution works or not.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

This was interesting. Definitely felt a strong BTAS influence here.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-04-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Murphy is a great artist, so I checked this out. I don't normally like Joker having an origin or real name, but this is his own continuity, and I think he needed it to make his story work.

That said, I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. The art was great, but I really enjoyed the story. First Batman comic I've liked in a long while.

Anyone else feel this Batman was reminiscent to the all star Batman by Frank miller? Also loved the line where dock asks him if he owns a house without a secret passage.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Was a really interesting set up issue. I do kinda feel like this is going to end up being a Batman book for people who don't really like batman, as it seemed to spend pretty much the entire issue hashing arguments that anti-batman fans typically make, hopefully that was done in this issue just to set the story up. Overall this was still a good issue because the art is just amazing, the story seems interesting so far I just hope that the story doesn't go to anti-batman.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Interesting set-up, for sure. A bit of a switcheroo, in regards to Batman and Joker's standings.

I didn't care for the art much really.

I thought the writer forced certain elements of the story to make it fit his concept. Also, Batman treats the Joker like he's the homicidal maniac from the regular universe, but in the story they never say he's a mass murderer. They even go out of their way to state he's never attacked or harmed a guard. Maybe Alfred's condition was caused by the Joker? I guess maybe they'll flesh out Batmans motivations later in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post

I thought the writer forced certain elements of the story to make it fit his concept. Also, Batman treats the Joker like he's the homicidal maniac from the regular universe, but in the story they never say he's a mass murderer. They even go out of their way to state he's never attacked or harmed a guard. Maybe Alfred's condition was caused by the Joker? I guess maybe they'll flesh out Batmans motivations later in the series.
    They do say he is the ultimate psychopath of Gotham though. So clearly he does have quite the record. Just this one seems more in control of his faculties then other versions.

Always Rakzo

Quite dug this. Is a premise that I believe has been explored before but Murphy still creates a solid execution from it. The argument of "Batman is just as bad as the villains he fights" is not something new but the writer presents solid arguments about why that could possibly be true and this is more acceptable here since this an Elseworlds story and the situation is not really black and white since Bruce is not portrayed as a real bad person but someone with flaws instead.

Murphy's artwork was pretty solid, the dark tone was perfect here. Really excited for this series.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post

From what I understood, this Joker was simply good enough to not be proven guilty for the most atrocious acts he may have committed (but I can be wrong), more so than him being "tame".

About this... they added 1 issue.. first 7, now 8th white knight issues..

https://www.newsarama.com/36717-sean...-an-issue.html

Spectacular Member

This is All Star Batman, or even more specifically Killing Joke Batman, where both he and Joker are sociopaths- everyone else are just disposable characters in their little play.
    Glad to see Barbara’s prominence in issue #1. Murphy has mentioned that she’s vital to the story. I think that maybe in White Knight she’ll have influence and agency as a character that she didn’t in Killing Joke (except as a prop). And maybe if this story ends with Batman and Joker laughing and embracing each other I might smile, rather than feeling as if I have to throw up.
    Tremendous first issue.