Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Justice League #30 Discussion Spoilers

Well...lol That was a twist not expected.
    Richard Alexander

Ditto. Still makes me wonder Hunter's role in all this, and what happened to his timeline's Diana. But man, that reveal took everyone by surprise.

WOW. Ok, I haven't been EXCITEDLY ANTICIPATING a 'next issue' this way in a LOOOOONG time!!
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Oh jeez. And I just 'got it' with Hunter's name. Duh. haha
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

In a weird way, Sovereign just wants to protect her family, which tells me that something happened to the Diana in the old universe.

spoilers:
    Diana says that the only one that Darkness doesn't want her to kill is Hunter. That's because Sovereign is part of the darkness. Sovereign is Hippolyta, Hunter's grandmother. Diana didn't leave Hunter. Something happened.
    end of spoilers
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    In a weird way, Sovereign just wants to protect her family, which tells me that something happened to the Diana in the old universe.

spoilers:
    Diana says that the only one that Darkness doesn't want her to kill is Hunter. That's because Sovereign is part of the darkness. Sovereign is Hippolyta, Hunter's grandmother. Diana didn't leave Hunter. Something happened.
    end of spoilers
    I makes me think that Diana might not even be his mother. Sovereign told him his mother didn't want him left him.... so where is their Diana why would sovereign say it.

I need more foreshadowing. The reveal came out of nowhere, so to me it lost much of it's impact. It got lost in disbelief at Hippolyta seeming so out of character.

I notice Hunter has yet to use his lasso. For someone at odds with his mother for abandoning him, why does he wear her tiara on his arm like a memorial?

Astonishing Member

Many eyebrows have been raised but I loved this issue. When they mentioned one term I was like wait... are they saying Sovereign's Jessica?

spoilers:

Yeah this issue seems to answer a few questions but definitely raises many more.

The obviously big reveal: What no one actually saw coming...Hippolyta is the Sovereign. Which while not really foreshadowed makes a lot of sense. This whole story has focused on family, AND the kids used Themyscira as a safe haven for a while which given its current state in the DCU makes sense, at some point it became reachable so of course Hippolyta's around.

Interestingly the Darkness (who we still know virtually nothing about) certainly seems to imply it possessed Diana and went around with her slaughtering the heroes/the World. And if the implication is correct Diana may very well have killed herself to stop it. It's also implied that the Darkness isn't possessing Hippolyta, but that they're allies and they united AFTER something happened to Diana IE presumably her death.

Odd but also there...Sovereign wasn't actually the one who mutilated Aquaman it was...Dory because Mera died and she took it out on Arthur? And Aquaman just united with Sovereign at that point because he was seemingly cursed with life basically.

The Darkness wants to protect Hunter as well simply because he's Hippolyta's grandson. Oddly the story has Aquaman mention that Sovereign herself only really cares about Diana so if Hippolyta has any love for her grandson it's certainly not evident yet.
    end of spoilers

The kids lived on Olympus, but I don't remember any mention of Themyscira.

Astonishing Member

Hippolyta? WTH? That poor woman, DC just can't go very long without picking on her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The kids lived on Olympus, but I don't remember any mention of Themyscira.
    Hmmm. Maybe that was my mistake then. I guess I'll have to re-read. I thought the kids lived on Themyscira and the Sovereign ruled on Olympus.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Hippolyta? WTH? That poor woman, DC just can't go very long without picking on her.
    It's certainly a fun twist to me at least, but admittedly I'm a sucker for dark futures and future kids. Especially when I can't see the twist otherwise coming.

It does raise the question on how the Amazons would react if Diana had a son in mainline continuity. Not saying they would attack him (thank the Presence that the sec pirates are no more), but it could make things rather awkward at family reunions. Being how Paradise Island normally has rules against men staying there.

Astonishing Member

Well that rule has largely been more for ease than a real rule usually outside of times the island was mystically enchanted to not allow men on it etc...

I doubt there'd be any real issue. Though the Amazons would probably be at a huge loss about how to raise a boy and whether they'd treat him any differently not knowing per se. But I can't imagine it being too bad, more a comedy of errors than anything.

Wonder Woman: My mother...is evil?

Superman: Tell me about it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Bruce: Thanfkully my parents are completely fine.

Meanwhile in Flashpoint

Bat Thomas: Martha not again! How many do I have to kill except you for you to learn a lesson?!
    Joker Martha: I'm not gonig back to the old folks home even if it is bingo night! *murders everyone on her way out of Sears*

Flash: Umm. Yeah. Totally.