Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Green Arrow #32 : Gotham resistance Finale [SPOILERS]

So, it went down more or less like I expected. I must say that I'm quite happy to see Doctor Fate intervene here, like he did in red Death, and Cyborg (so this issue takes place after the Murder Machine tie-in). The evil Damian was horrific down to his core, just like the BWL (that scene with Harley, brrr). Overall, while the GR is probably not a must read, I think it painted the main characters in a good light, with Damian and Green Arrow taking centre stage here while helping reintroduce Mister Terrific in the game. However, I felt that the issue was a bit rushed and it could have been better with one or two more issues to play out the story. Still, pretty happy about it.

BANNED

Considering the ending of this, I really wonder what the point of this tie-in was? That everything has gone nuts and some people fight back while others are thrown under the bus and nothing is getting resolved before the end of the main book anyways?

BANNED

I'm glad I'm not a completist who MUST own every issue of a run they enjoy. Otherwise I would have had to get this.

Mostly just looking forward to the next arc and especially the annual.

BANNED

Wasn't Canary supposed to be in this and this story was even promoted as the one where she and Oliie would get back together?

Or did I miss the issue where that happened?

Well, the gotham resistance arc has not been plot wise important, but I guess we will see those characters back in action in the future.

Can't wait for next week to read metal #3.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Wasn't Canary supposed to be in this and this story was even promoted as the one where she and Oliie would get back together?

Or did I miss the issue where that happened?
    Both her and Batgirl were. The story must have changed somewhat since the title was first solicited. Frankly, it is probably for the better, there wasn't much room for the two of them in the midst of all the other craziness. This arc may not be essential in the end, but it was totally worth it for creating a friendship between Damian and Ollie. Certainly not two character I would have ever thought needed to team up, but I'm sure glad they did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Both her and Batgirl were. The story must have changed somewhat since the title was first solicited. Frankly, it is probably for the better, there wasn't much room for the two of them in the midst of all the other craziness. This arc may not be essential in the end, but it was totally worth it for creating a friendship between Damian and Ollie. Certainly not two character I would have ever thought needed to team up, but I'm sure glad they did.
    Yeah, just weird how the reunion was supposed to be the emotional crux of this story and instead it's shelved, but I suppose they figured it was better to develop it in more relevant plotlines coming up than a tie-in. We'll see.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-04-2017 at 10:19 AM.

I questioned Green Arrows's part in this tie-in, but even still this wasn't bad. I actually didn't mind Green Arrow here. Which for me is surprising as i honestly don't care much for Green Arrow.

Astonishing Member

I dug Gotham Resistance for what it turned out to be - which is fill or pad for the Metal event in the way big events often do - because it was at least cohesive. Oh yeah, I'm always annoyed at a cross-title crossover because the only real function they serve is less about "these are the characters who are teaming up" and more about "well, you can get a chapter or two of this Event every week of the month".

So, you know, Rock & Roll Road Trip where Nightwing is on a vision quest because he's so connected to Metal, and Ollie and Damian get to bond, as a couple other interesting characters circle in and are affected. Fine, neat, not too damaging, and I'm obviously happy to move back to Green Arrow proper story beats.

I guess the part I'm cool with is really that each chapter just had some lovely art where some of my current fave DC art guys got to play in the heavy metal crazy venue. Ferreyra was a great example again here, with his cool presentations and that spread of the Batman Who Laughs spreading out the cards.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Always Rakzo

Boy, and I thought that the last issue was bad.

As I mentioned before, the Gotham Resistance crossover has been pretty bad for the most part, full of erratic pacing and off characterization so when this kind of stuff touches Ben Percy's Green Arrow you just know that things are just going to become worse.

And they do.

Pacing has always been an issue during this run but it gets especially bad here since Percy (accompanied by Joshua Williamson) make the story jump from segment to segment, from scenery to scenery without natural transitions or logical progressions which makes the whole read pretty chaotic. The character work is not bad per se since I do understand where Percy is going with Damian's portrayal although Ollie still seems like almost like a side-character in his own book (which to be fair, goes in vein with how other people treat him during this title).

Which takes me to the story, there's not a lot of it. Even if the heroes supposedly "discovered" the Dark Multiverse's weakness, I feel like this crossover barely achieved anything since they didn't even save Gotham and the main plot itself didn't progress at all.

Juan Ferreyra handles the artwork and as usual, his style is not really beautiful but he does know how to tell a story creatively although his work that is heavily focused on scenery doesn't make the flow of the read any better.

Bad issue, bad crossover, better luck for the next one.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yeah, just weird how the reunion was supposed to be the emotional crux of this story and instead it's shelved, but I suppose they figured it was better to develop it in more relevant plotlines coming up than a tie-in. We'll see.
    It wasn't there's an interview on this forum stating that this was about the boys looking for their father and protecting Gotham along with Ollie who is here because Bruce asked him to be. It's a Dick, Damian and Green Arrow story.

They tried to cram lots of characters in and ended up overcrowded. Nightwing barely got a look in. I wish Harley had been benched sooner so Dick could have more time. The emotional crux of the story was the brothers and as is now the thing with Percy Damian learning this time Ollie was the perfect teacher.

I really enjoyed this and now appreciate what Percy is doing with Damian. I would have liked more fight scenes but the emotional punch more than compensated.
    Ollie does speak Teenager .

Also have to say love the little revelations about Dick and the various metals in his body, the Owls. Weird little things that link him and Bruce.
    The thing about leaving the light on that Bruce says every time he goes on a mission. Little touches like that show their closeness and his position as other head of the bat family.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Considering the ending of this, I really wonder what the point of this tie-in was? That everything has gone nuts and some people fight back while others are thrown under the bus and nothing is getting resolved before the end of the main book anyways?
    Don't you mean strapped to a strange contraption

i liked it, especially the last part with Ollie talking to Damian.
    did'nt really see BWL's wrath as teased by the solicit.
    GR is skippable to read metal but it was fun.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Don't you mean strapped to a strange contraption
    Yeah. Which is kinda why as primarily a TT fan, these big events are just really hard for me to get excited over when they are announced, because usually it just means it's time again to see them get run over so someone else can look cool. I know the story is still going, but Gotham Resistance was the focus piece where the cast was atleast a bit limited and there was a chance for something decent to happen, but like so many other times, it didn't. And when Metal #3 rolls around it's going to get even worse than it was here, since there will be a hundred other characters that's going to share what little light the focus characters leave behind.

I sort of assume SS fans of the older teams feel something of the same, most of the team they know gets kicked to the curb here, while the latest and most attention-grabbing (and weakest) addition to team gets a freebee at everyone elses expense.