Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

His red trunks breaks the color. It brings balance to the color of the suit.

And there is the old one. He appears like a wrestler with the trunks. A strong man. Don't wrestlers wear undies when they enter the ring? Professional wrestling is pretty popular. If i see Goku for the first time i can recognize him as someone related to martial arts. Kung-Fu, Karate or something. One associates such costume to martial arts. Undies are worn by muscleman. Maybe the earlier circus strongman on which it was modeled or even now when wrestlers are associated with the undies.

His muscles bulge everywhere. He wears tights. Look at his abs. His costume is skin tight everywhere. Why does it not bulge there? It is illogical.

There is so much thought put into his costume. Think about it. Why does he have a yellow 'S' at the back of his cape? It is because even if we see him from the back we can recognize he is Superman. Why does he have a spit curl? That is an 'S'. Even with a close up of his face you can recognize Superman.

You can see the 'S' in this picture. You know he is Superman.

Can you see the 'S' on his chest? No. But 'S' is on his head.

When artists and creators make something they put a lot of thought behind it. How will the character pop up on the page? How can you get great shots from every angle? How to balance colors? How to make the character eye catching?

Removing his undies to fix him is like solving a problem which never existed in the first place. (Maybe it was the work of the blue nude god Dr. Manhattan? He does not wear undies. Or nothing for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My biggest issue with the trunkless costume is that something needs to break up all that blue. If they are going to go trunkless, I prefer they do something like they did in the Smallville comic. Some darker blue on the sides. Or even the Eradicator's costume. Some black. I get that they may not be able to use it anymore due to the lawsuit, but at least make it a little better looking.
    Is lawsuit a problem even now? I thought it was over.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-04-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Amazing Member

The trunks are dated, let it go. The costume looks great as is.

I don’t even understand how one can even argue that those trunks are the ones holding in his junk, as has been hinted earlier in the thread. Maybe, I don’t know, he’s wearing actual underwear?

Discuss the 800 issue milestone, the trunks have nothing to do with it.

The issue is less the trunks or their removal.

It's the skin-tight pants that make him look like a Ken doll.

Make them less tight / more jeans-like without being actual jeans and the midsection problems go away.

It is a great Milestone and I am glad that DC is doing something to celebrate it.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Trunks are outdated? That is debatable. And even if i loose the debate it is absurd to give up something because it is 'outdated'. One shall not give up something which is useful. Something shall serve a purpose. Unless something is harmful one shall mot give it up if the thing serves a purpose.

An artist can understand the requirement. So alternatives. Legs shall not be skin tight. Darken the area. It can be solved by one stroke. Trunks solve that. The most important function is bringing balance.

I love the present costume. But i love the classic more.

I was thinking #800. Does that include Superman #0 and Superman #1000000. Technically issue 998 would be Action Comics 1000. So is #800, 800 for real?

Amazing Member

They don’t serve a purpose. Which is why most heroes that had them incorporated into their costume no longer do.

Quote Originally Posted by Super4Ever View Post
    They don’t serve a purpose. Which is why most heroes that had them incorporated into their costume no longer do.
    Does his cape? I love the current look but it will never not feel like an alternate suit and not the real thing. It's a comic book I say embrace it all even trunks.

So his costume is completely blue. From neck to feet. Plain ol' blue. When i said purpose i said design. Superhero costumes atleast on comic book panels must be eyecatching. He must be the most interesting thing to look on page. Capes serve no function. Why is it there? It looks cool.

Same way the red and blue suit is interesting. Without the undies it is simply blue from top to bottom. Only a symbol, a belt and the shoes are red. It is not balanced. Trunks balance the blue color.

And it is a skin tight costume. His design resembles a ken doll. It is apparent after a while. Take Dr. Manhattan. Take away the blue from the hands and the head upto the neck. Let him wear red shoes, a red belt and put an S symbol. Add some hair and there you have a 'censored' Dr. Manhattan as Superman. The blue is a few shades darker. But Superman is Dr. Manhattan in disguise.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-06-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    So his costume is completely blue. From neck to feet. Plain ol' blue. When i said purpose i said design. Superhero costumes atleast on comic book panels must be eyecatching. He must be the most interesting thing to look on page. Capes serve no function. Why is it there? It looks cool.

Same way the red and blue suit is interesting. Without the undies it is simply blue from top to bottom. Only a symbol, a belt and the shoes are red. It is not balanced. Trunks balance the blue color.

And it is a skin tight costume. His design resembles a ken doll. It is apparent after a while. Take Dr. Manhattan. Take away the blue from the hands and the head upto the neck. Let him wear red shoes, a red belt and put an S symbol. Add some hair and there you have a 'censored' Dr. Manhattan as Superman. The blue is a few shades darker. But Superman is Dr. Manhattan in disguise.

Now you’re reaching. Manhattan and Superman’s current costume share no similarities. He is no Manhattan in disguise, that’s silly. Trunks or no trunks, they aren’t going to draw Superman’s crotch anatomically correct. I don’t know where the thought process for that as an arguement even begins.

The costume is broken up, the red cape, the red and yellow in the symbol, the red and yellow in the belt, and the red of the boots all break the costume up.

You could argue that the Rebirth costume with the blue boots and much smaller and not fully closed belt was too much blue, but the Reborn costume is not that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Super4Ever View Post
    Now you’re reaching. Manhattan and Superman’s current costume share no similarities. He is no Manhattan in disguise, that’s silly. Trunks or no trunks, they aren’t going to draw Superman’s crotch anatomically correct. I don’t know where the thought process for that as an arguement even begins.

The costume is broken up, the red cape, the red and yellow in the symbol, the red and yellow in the belt, and the red of the boots all break the costume up.

You could argue that the Rebirth costume with the blue boots and much smaller and not fully closed belt was too much blue, but the Reborn costume is not that way.
    Dr. Manhattan was a joke. I am bad at making an argument, aren't I? Who makes a joke while presenting an argument? Let alone a poor one like that.

Even though it is a joke the argument has some merit. I am not saying that he looks like Manhattan but from an aesthetic perspective his design is off. daBronzeBomma puts it succinctly. While we ignore it, a new fan can see that the design resembles a ken doll.

The cape is at the back. They did well to make the belt broader. It is better. But the trunks balances the costume perfectly.

Now my rant begins. Some fans say trunks are silly. Who wears trunks over the pants? Do you think such a thought never crossed anyone's mind the past 80 years. It is ridiculous. Who wears underwear over one's costume? Who does that? Well Superman does that. If we are ashamed of Superman and don't embrace him for what he is, he stops being the trendsetter. He follows the trends now. He is not setting them.

Because Superman had the trunks Batman wore it for 60 years. Because Superman wore that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby made the costumes to contrast him. Every superhero costume is either inspired by his costume or is made in response to his costume.

His costume is timeless. Even if they bring those back it will work. Those who want to complain they will complain. Superman is too overpowered. Superman is boring. Superman is a boy scout. Superman is for kids. They will never pick up a book and read it. Yet they make all kinds of accusations. They can never become fans. It is foolish to woo them.

In my opinion one shall work to one's strengths. There will be an audience even if the costume is silly. Because the medium has that silliness inherent in it. What about a super soldier who takes only a shield to war? What about a billionaire who dresses up as a bat? What about a story with evil Batmen arriving from a dark universe? What about a superhero who talks to squirrels?

His classic costume is cool. It always was. It always will be. If DC embraces him for what he is he will continue making new fans. Wonder Woman embraced the old school heroism of Christopher Reeves. Captain America at MCU embraced that. See where they are now. I admire the attempts of DC with Superman but i sometimes wonder was it the right direction to take?

His costume is classic. It is evergreen. The trunks work. It is not outdated. Truly speaking it always was. Those voices were always there who said it is outdated. Those who say the trunks are silly are louder now. DC is ashamed of Superman. Look at his Celebration of 75 years.

http://comicsalliance.com/superman-a...ars-review-dc/

The present costume is good enough for me. But i feel there is a trend somewhere that we want Superman to be accepted( i am guilty). We want him to be cool as others. Well he was cool enough. Otherwise others would not have appeared in the first place. The thing separating me from many fans would be that i find the trunks cool too.

Back to the topic. I checked #34 again. It has the cover of Lois Lane dressed as one of the Furies. I love it!

Is there a possibility that there would be some additional stories? It would be wrong to simply acknowledge the number but not giving something extra. It lists in DC's site as 32 pages. Do the fans want something more? It would be difficult to get new material in a short time. But simply for fun. Was there something extra that the fans wanted?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-07-2017 at 09:31 PM.