39 30.71%
  • No

64 50.39%
  • Neutral

24 18.90%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Thoughts on Hope Summers

I really love the character, I think she reminds me a bit of rey from star wars 7 only a well more better, relatbale and fleshed out version.

I know years earlier some people did not like her character, as I had not really read the messiah complex/second comming stories then I did not feel I could say much on if I liked or disliked her but now I have read most of her story arcs, I must say she was a very good character and she did help Cable a lot to grow as a person.

what are you thoughts on hope?
    Last edited by Jaddor; 10-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.

It seems, unfortunately, that she's become superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    It seems, unfortunately, that she's become superfluous.
    Unless Hope becomes the vessel for Jean's resurrection or causes the destruction Bishop was ranting about, she'll remain superfluous.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

She was infinitely more interesting as the leader of X-Force. But whatever.

BANNED

Kill Her.....

I feel like her story just kind of stopped and never got told completely. I'm neutral on her mostly but I do wish that whatever her ultimate purpose was planned to be had come to fruition.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Unfortunately, there wasn't any need to create Hope given that they could have used Jean Grey or Rachel Summers-Grey in the role that she played.

Did we really need another redhead, green eyed, omega mutant with Phoenix potential and a fiery temperament when we have several of those already? Why was Hope used as the White Phoenix to bring mutants back when Jean is supposed to currently be White Phoenix in the White Hot Room? She could have been brought back to save the mutants instead of introducing yet another stand in for her.

Many aspects of Hope's story were repeats from previous stories. Cable raised her in the future similarly to how Scott and Jean raised him in the future. She had a Hell-ish childhood which helped her control the Phoenix just like Rachel Summers did. Her being able to channel other mutants powers is similar to Rogue, Synch and others with similar powers, etc.

Ironically, they are repeating some aspects of Hope's story with Teen Jean now. Teen Jean has been receiving training from various Marvel Universe heroes in anticipation of the Phoenix's arrival just like they did with Hope.

And let's not forget that Matt Fraction spilled that the Messiah baby originally was going to be Jean reborn and that it was Quesada's idea. They later changed their minds and made Hope her own separate character. However, this explains why some of Jean's plot threads (collecting missing pieces of the Phoenix and being White Phoenix) were grafted onto Hope.

When Rachel lost her blue Phoenix fragment she even exclaims, "not now, mom!" In Endsong, Jean leaves to collect the pieces of the Phoenix. Yet it ended up being Hope that was drawing the pieces of the Phoenix to her.

And since in many ways Hope was just a stand in for Jean, we are doing the "Phoenix is coming, must prepare!" story all over again.

Id love for them to reinvent her and bring her back in a prominent role. She should be used as a sidekick to Cable

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post

Many aspects of Hope's story were repeats from previous stories. Cable raised her in the future similarly to how Scott and Jean raised him in the future. She had a Hell-ish childhood which helped her control the Phoenix just like Rachel Summers did. Her being able to channel other mutants powers is similar to Rogue, Synch and others with similar powers, etc.
    She didnt really have a hellish childhood. It was rather tame compared to Rachel. For the most part it was relative peace except for moments when Bishop would catch up to her and she and Cable would jump forward in time
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-07-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Unfortunately, there wasn't any need to create Hope given that they could have used Jean Grey or Rachel Summers-Grey in the role that she played.

Did we really need another redhead, green eyed, omega mutant with Phoenix potential and a fiery temperament when we have several of those already? Why was Hope used as the White Phoenix to bring mutants back when Jean is supposed to currently be White Phoenix in the White Hot Room? She could have been brought back to save the mutants instead of introducing yet another stand in for her.

Ironically, they are repeating some aspects of Hope's story with Teen Jean now. Teen Jean has been receiving training from various Marvel Universe heroes in anticipation of the Phoenix's arrival just like they did with Hope.

And let's not forget that Matt Fraction spilled that the Messiah baby originally was going to be Jean reborn and that it was Quesada's idea. They later changed their minds and made Hope her own separate character. However, this explains why some of Jean's plot threads (collecting missing pieces of the Phoenix and being White Phoenix) were grafted onto Hope.

When Rachel lost her blue Phoenix fragment she even exclaims, "not now, mom!" In Endsong, Jean leaves to collect the pieces of the Phoenix. Yet it ended up being Hope that was drawing the pieces of the Phoenix to her.

And since in many ways Hope was just a stand in for Jean, we are doing the "Phoenix is coming, must prepare!" story all over again.
    This, all of this.

BANNED

I hate her. That's it.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Id love for them to reinvent her and bring her back in a prominent role. She should be used as a sidekick to Cable

She didnt really have a hellish childhood. It was rather tame compared to Rachel. For the most part it was relative peace except for moments when Bishop would catch up to her and she and Cable would jump forward in time
    Being pursued by genocidal maniacs is Hell-ish enough.

The character assassination done to Bishop was Hell enough for me.

She is an avatar for the Qesada era I think, much like a Pre-X-factor Lyla Millar. A chaarcter created as a McGuffin on shaky principals, she didn't initially pan out due to poor writing/ characterization was ditched to limbo after her narrative purpose was served.

She did have potential, unfortunately they wasted it, especially her played out characterization. I my opinion she is the perfect representation of this comic book era.

BANNED

hope is getting some hate here, I knew this would happen, looks I am one of the few who has softened up on her character over the years.

I do prefer her to Rachel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddor View Post
    hope is getting some hate here, I knew this would happen, looks I am one of the few who has softened up on her character over the years.

I do prefer her to Rachel.
    Nothing wrong with the character herself, but she wasn't handled very well.

Hope will in my mind always be cast as Jean-lite. I don't think of Rachel that same way due to her history but there just too many character beats she shares with Jean for her to stand on her own. I think this is similar in some ways to how Cyke\Tyke compare. It's not a direct comparison but both characters don't measure up to their spiritual ancestors. Given the choice between a knock off and the real thing, I think most of us will say, let's have the real thing.

That's an oversimplification true, but there just too many similarities not to compare her to Jean, whom I much prefer.