Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ResurrXion 6 months on: Your Thoughts

So, ResurrXion has been going on for the last 6 months in the X-books, relaunching them with 10 books. There have been changes too: Kitty as leader, Jean Grey being chased by the Phoenix, Iceman coming out to his parents, etc.

What are your thoughts on this relaunch? Was it a good idea? Has it been successful? Or has it been a failure?
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I have said it enough. So to avoid annoying anyone with repetition, i'll just say I didn't care for it due to the change of a character I was liking before it happened....

Oh well. That's comic biz.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-05-2017 at 12:35 AM.

ResurrXion is much much better then previous IVX relaunch but it wasn`t great yet.

I have high hopes for 2018.
    Gambit and Rogue, Legion, Jean return and possibly Uncanny. Everything sounds great.

It's great when compared to what we had before. Could use some work(Gold), but overall it's been fine.

GenX is my stand out book. Can't wait for Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    It's great when compared to what we had before. Could use some work(Gold), but overall it's been fine.
    My thoughts pretty much.

Well, as others have said, it may not be perfect or what some people expected but it was no doubt much better than what we had before in ANAD Marvel. Mutants are safe again, no genocide, no conflicts, I like that Jean and Iceman got a solo, Astonishing and Generation X are cool, X-Men Blue is better than Hopeless ANXM, the other good books stayed, X-Men Gold is meh but it's slightly better than Extraordinary.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I am positively surprised by the books of Blue and Gen X. I thought I might like them, but it turned out I came loving it a lot.

Of all the new series, I believed Jean Grey and Iceman would be dropping off my pull list first, but I love those series as well.

Weapon X and Gold are disappointing me a bit. They both miss depth so far, though I must admit the Kologoth issue was well written and the first part of Mojo World I liked as well. So, I have good hopes it will improve. Weapoin X might drop off my list next year though.

I was very happy with Rogue, Bishop and Gambit getting back to the X-Verse in Astonishing and even more happy two of those will get a series in 2018. Astonishing is a fine read. Hope it lasts longer than the assumed 12 issues.

Cable was a major disappointment for these first 5 issues. The pace was slow and the story lame. Really glad he will gather a team around him in the Legacy issues. Hope they, or something simular will stay/come.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

So far, I've been very impressed. This slate of X-men comics is among the best I've seen in years. Then again, given the state of the X-books after Secret Wars, that might not be saying much. I still think the X-office has done a great job taking the X-men away from their conflict with the Inhumans and setting them back on a better path. It hasn't been perfect. I don't care for how Storm is being treated. I get the sense that the X-office is keeping their hands off her so the Black Panther comics can use her. I also don't care for how Emma Frost is becoming too much of a villain. All that said, though, there's nothing about those flaws that aren't fixable. That's why I'm fairly optimistic about the future of the X-books. That can change fast, but I'm going to try and stay positive, as risky as that might be these days.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

The relaunch needed to happen.. and with Astonishing and Iceman, I'd say for me they're in a better place than they were when I was just reading Extraordinary.

BANNED

Wait... Who was resurrected in ResurrXion again?

It got me buying one more monthly than I was during IvX, and the number of trades has stayed the same. So there's been improvement.

Overall, I'm not very impressed at all. I tried pretty much every book, but am down to 4 (Astonishing, Iceman, Gen X and Weapon X) and only 2 of them I really like.

My thoughts on each book I tried:

X-men Gold: I still don't understand the reasoning behind giving someone like Guggenheim the keys to the flagship book. He is just not a good writer at all and he has proven that time and time again. As a result, Gold is just a regurgitation of old plot threads from better writers. The art is ok, but nothing spetacular and the designs are downright terrible.
    I do think the cast is solid, but the creative team doesn't do the characters any justice, so I dropped this after 3 issues. This is coming from someone who stuck with the flagship X-book through some seriously bad times for the franchise.

X-men Blue has a better creative team, but I just can't stomach the concept. I gave it a chance because I usually like Bunn's X-work, but once it became clear he's also more interest in reviving old plot points and dynamics than trying new things, I gave up.
    The inclusion of Jimmy as his use as just a younger Logan, complete with the boring ressurection of the love triangle did it for me. Alternate Storm is also a boring and safe choice. It's sad that the only prominent character of color in both main X-books is a version of Storm.

Gen X is ok. I do find it entertaining even if it's not the best cast ever. I have to give it a thumbs up because in a sea of nostalgia, it's the one book actually trying something new.
    The art could improve, but the X-line has bigger problems.

Weapon X has potential, but it was stuck too long in the decompressed Hulkverine plot. I don't care about Hulk, so it was really disappointing to have a crossover so soon and not have a self-contained first arc to establish the team better.
    Besides, the whole motivation of the team could have been handled better. I don't think Pak successfully explained why these people would adopt the name of their oppressors, it's really bizarre.

Astonishing X-men is the best "X-men" team book by far. Unlike the others, it actually feels epic and thought similar stories have been done, it offers a new enough angle and takes advantage of the great pool of X-characters.
    It's great to have characters like Bishop and Gambit around again and Psylocke and Angel really needed a new home. I hope these characters get a regular role somewhere once the book ends.

I didn't try Old Man Logan, because he's already in 3 books too many. If Marvel kept him to one team book, I might give his solo a chance, but instead I'm just burn out.

I read only one issue of Jean Grey, because it was very lackluster. I really don't like how the book is so team-up oriented instead of actually trying to build a compelling and original Jean Grey story. Team-ups are fine, but not when that's all there is to the book.
    And no, the Phoenix rehash in itself is not a good draw. They needed to have built a strong role for Jean to carry her own solo.

Cable was also dropped after one issue, because zero happened. One of the most decompressed books I read in a long time, and I also read Weapon X, LOL. It looks to be improving with the new writer, so there's that.

Iceman is great. It's the one book I have no complaints about the writing. Sina Grace is doing an awesome job of developing Bobby's character and establishing his new status quo.
    The art could be more consistent (3 artists in 6 issues of a monthly book is a bit much), but that's my only complaint about Iceman.

All-New Wolverine is also a pretty good book, but Laura is not a character I usually follow outside of team settings.

All in all, RessurrXion is... not that great.
    I do think there are some good ideas and improvements. The line is definitely way more focused than before (two main X-teams with different purposes, a school book, a kill squad and a wide range of solos), but the quality is lacking.
    I think there's a lot that could be done with a similar setting and concepts, but I don't think the editorial have quite figured out how. They're too focused on nostalgia and alternate versions of characters and stories that were already done much better and don't need to be rehashed.

I really hope things improve because I love the X-men and there's still a lot of potential for great things, they just need to find the right people to correct the ship.

Fantastic Member

Much better than post secret wars but could use some improvement.

Winners:
    Astonishing X-Men
    Iceman
    Gen X

Needs improvement/focus:
    Gold
    Blue
    Jean Grey
    Weapon x

Duds:
    Cable

Astonishing Member

The only one I buy every month because it seems very good to me is Astonishing, even though I dont sympathize with Soule much after Death of X, and IvX (I love Maddrox and Emma)
    I also like Iceman, although I didnt like the last issue much. It seems gay mutants only get civilian flatscan boyfriends. It's a shame Northstar is married. But the first arc about coming out to his parents was very good. And will get the trade.

I find Gold extremely mediocre nostalgia bait.
    Blue is good, but I really dislike the O5. And I am also not a fan at all of having another Wolverine clone around when we will have soon real Wolverine, OML, X-23, Inverted Sabretooth and Daken around.
    I prefer it if books use c or d list characters, instead of alternative reality versions of more popular characters. I bought the New Tian tie in, but because of the enemies of the O5, not because of the O5.

I will buy the next issues of Jean Grey featuring Emma, Quentin and the Cuckoos. And I am excited about the Cable "relaunch" featuring Blink, Longshot, Armor, Doop etc

BANNED

Same as when it was announced: Annoyed that despite being the one using the Wolverine name, Laura has been virtually shut out of it in favor of Old Man Logan getting spots on half the teams, exacerbated by the unnecessary addition of Jimmy Hudson.

Also, pencil me in for "Done with all the AU characters."