Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    The only one I buy every month because it seems very good to me is Astonishing, even though I dont sympathize with Soule much after Death of X, and IvX (I love Maddrox and Emma)
    I also like Iceman, although I didnt like the last issue much. It seems gay mutants only get civilian flatscan boyfriends. It's a shame Northstar is married. But the first arc about coming out to his parents was very good. And will get the trade.

I find Gold extremely mediocre nostalgia bait.
    Blue is good, but I really dislike the O5. And I am also not a fan at all of having another Wolverine clone around when we will have soon real Wolverine, OML, X-23, Inverted Sabretooth and Daken around.
    I prefer it if books use c or d list characters, instead of alternative reality versions of more popular characters. I bought the New Tian tie in, but because of the enemies of the O5, not because of the O5.

I will buy the next issues of Jean Grey featuring Emma, Quentin and the Cuckoos. And I am excited about the Cable "relaunch" featuring Blink, Longshot, Armor, Doop etc
    Inverted Sabretooth is gone. Pak has even said Deathstrike & Creed are the bad guys on the Weapon X team. So that's one Wolverine out.

I haven't gotten to read Astonishing, but given the praise it's getting, I may need to try checking it out. Currently, Deadpool is the only book I have been doing since ResurrXion started. Dropped Uncanny Avengers after Duggan left. And Weapon X was infuriating, so also dropped. Spider-Man/Deadpool is on filler since Kelly left. And Bunn's Uncanny X-Men was cancelled. So, i'm down to 1 book now.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-05-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Like many, I think after such dismal years of forced in-fighting and extermination I had hopes that we would get new life into the books. And we got a break from that, but I feel like the writers of the big books (Blue and Gold) were essentially given a roadmap and a list of stories to retread until 2018. And again, so quickly into a relaunch of a line are books hampered with a crossover event, which never bodes well for those involved.

Blue - Bunn was offered a book with a pre-made cast and semi-solid concept. Essentially this is Exiles meets the O5. It's great to see Jean in a leadership role. and I have been enjoying some of the "villains" and concepts he has introduced, I just feel bad for Iceman and Angel. They are getting next to Storm in this book. I'm excited to read his version of the Crosstime Capers (and Excalibur concept), and still have faith in him.

Gold - Whelp we had hopes and they were dashed. From issue one this book has had a dark cloud around it, and no I don't mean Storm using her powers because she only throws lightning bolts and "my friend". From the artist controversy in issue one and just bad writing, I don't think it has recovered. Thus far the Kologoth issue and the most recent involving Mojo have been the standouts. Meanwhile Guggenheim's Kitty is insufferable, Colossus is regulated to the dumb tank, OML and Kurt are fine (as in no harm no foul), Storm is utterly wasted space, and Rachel's development is the same ole rehash of "Let's give Rachel the same power boost that Claremont/Davis/Claremont/Aaron gave her and hope no one notices". Le sigh

Weapon X - I dropped this after the 3rd issue. Deathstrike, Domino, Warpath? YES PLEASE. OML, meh. This version of Sabretooth (I HATE the "X-Men Movie" look Pak has given him) is just ugh. The concept feels retreaded (see Prime Sentinels) and I hate Pak's artwork, even if he isn't nearly as bad in this book as he has been in others. I like Amadeus Cho but don't care about a Hulkerine. It's like throwing all of your partner's favorite foods in a blender and expect it to taste fine.

Generation X - Essentially the only original team book in this line and it is a decent read. I'm most excited about the GenX originals coming for Monet, which has been a nice slow burn in the background of some interesting issues.

Cable - The only reason I didn't drop Askani'son is because of the upcoming Legacy arc. This opening story was a snooze and while the last issue was more enjoyable, I didn't care for it overall. Cable works best when on or leading a team, or has one good co-captain. period.

Iceman - The shining book for me. I have enjoyed the ride Sina has taken us on in exploring Bobby and he struggles to grasp and accept all parts of himself.

Jean Grey - I had really amazing high hopes for this book. It's not bad in any respect, but the "voice" that Hopeless has given Jeen and the revolving doors of hero of the week has left a bad taste in my mouth. I love that Jeen has been interacting with non-X people, but each issues felt like the previous: Jeen seeks someone out, they give her obtuse info, they fight together, Jeen kills something, thinks she learns something, and moves on to the next person. Since Ghost Jean has come on it's been better, the artwork is usually great. Middle of the pack for me.

OML - I don't care about this character to read his book.

Wolverine - A solid book. I don't normally read Laura, but I find myself buying the book or reading each issue in the comic book store.

Astonishing: What everyone wants each book to feel like, a goddamn X-Men book.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Wait... Who was resurrected in ResurrXion again?
    It's meta. The line itself. We went from 5 X books (Extraordinary, Uncanny, All-New, Logan, and Wolverine) and 3 Inhuman books (Uncanny Inhumans, Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl) to 10 X books (Gold, Blue, Gen X, Weapon X, Astonishing, Iceman, Jean Grey, Cable, Logan, Wolverine) and 5 Inhuman books (Uncanny was replaced by Royals, Secret Warriors, and Black Bolt).

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Iceman is lovely.

Astonishing is great.

Gen X has been the highlight for sure. Wish Eric Koda Or W Scott Forbes were the primary artists but the characters have been a suprise delight.

The main X-Books are about as good/bad as EXM was IMO. Weapon X has also been really weak.

BANNED

It had potential but Blue/Gold/Weapon X have all sort of gone down the drain, Cable was so bad it’s getting a soft reboot before the first arc’s over, the Wolvie books are sort of treading water on the side, and the 3 legit good new books (Gen X, Iceman, Jeen) aren’t selling and are probably already canceled.

Countdown to the next relaunch I guess.

It's meh. Not really any improvement over what came before. Mostly a style change, but the substance was the real issue.

Changes were made to the core books and certainly the status quo has changed from the decimation era. That said execution on Blue and Gold varies from good to poor, with more poor than good. Far too many characters are functional backbenchers to make room for Kitty and Jeen to be special little supersnowflakes. Maybe the teams need to be smaller. I always thought 5 or 6 max was the best number. With how skinny these books are now, even trying to do justice to 6 is a challenge and unfortunatly, the writers aren't up to the challenge.

I do think it's a minor improvement versus pre ResurrXion, but in some ways doesn't even match the Bendis era.

To be fair we know that the O5 at some point are going to leave so Bunn can not do something really innovative or with consequences in the long run. That should be work for Gold but it does not seem like there is a plot or long-term plan just the X-men facing villains in short stories.

The funny part is that if they gave X-Force or Weapon X to Bunn sure we would have better results.

GX is not bad just does not have the cast that many fans wanted and Iceman for now is fine for me but like any solo comic it is not easy to call or win a readers opportunity.Jean to me has been the biggest disappointment anything I expected in this comic happened and with the return of the adult Jean this story has lost importance except in preparation for the return of the adult version.

Despite everything Ressurection is still an improvement if we consider the last years and stories about extinction. Has been better than almost everything that comes after AvX with some exceptions but needs improvement.

At this point all we can do is wait for legacy to correct those mistakes.

I like Gen X.
    Astonishing is excellent.
    Iceman is halfway decent.

Gold is a terrible snoozefest
    Blue is a book about the 05 and alt universe characters, so it is awful
    Cable's solo was pretty meh at the start so I dropped it
    Jeens solo was also pretty bad and was dropped. Plus she isn't real Jean.
    No interest in OML as a solo

So ressureXion gets a 2.5-3/8 from me. Not that great.

I really don't care. I read some of them, but even those read as fanfiction.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

i have only read blue so far and it has been good, im not a fan of AU duplicates but i love the O5 team (especially jean and scott) and they are the only versions of this character marvel wants to push.
    i dont like the prospect of another love triangle (they suck in general, all of them, x-men or not) so that may ruin the book for me. i get it, marvel wants to explore other relationships but this is the wrong way of doing it.
    i wanted to like jimmy at the start but slowly i have grow to dislike him, he is just too much like logan in the wrong ways. laura, daken, gabby and even raze are different and this makes the cool but so far jimmy feels redundant.
    blue started good but i feel it will go downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    It had potential but Blue/Gold/Weapon X have all sort of gone down the drain, Cable was so bad it’s getting a soft reboot before the first arc’s over, the Wolvie books are sort of treading water on the side, and the 3 legit good new books (Gen X, Iceman, Jeen) aren’t selling and are probably already canceled.

Countdown to the next relaunch I guess.
    I agree with your assessment until you get to Jean and Iceman's books. They've been super boring too IMO. Dropped both. Haven't tried Gen X, though. Honestly, ResurrXion as a whole started out fairly strong but quickly fizzed out. Blue was the best written of the bunch initially, then it devolved into this weird Exiles type shite. Gold is just a nostalgia wankfest with mediocre writing, and Weapon X had potential but the Hulkverine arc dragged on way too long and now it's kind of lost me. Cable: Time Cop has been the biggest disappointment of all for me personally. Hoping the new direction and writer turns that book around.

Iceman and Gen X are probably my favorite X-Titles since Gillen's Uncanny. The rest are eh.

Hate to admit it, but currently I'm just buying Blue and Gold to show support for the X-line of comics. Both have, for the most part, been a chore to read though. (This isn't an X-Men specific complaint though, most of Marvel has bored me lately.)

As far as my favorite characters:

Emma is a villain, I haven't enjoyed this route for the character outside of Spencer's Secret Empire appearances.
    Logan has only recently been brought back from the dead, not in the books yet.
    Nightcrawler, despite possibly entering a relationship with Rachel, still seems to be nothing more than wallpaper.
    Rogue is hanging out with Gambit. I have absolutely no interest in a retread of that relationship.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"