Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Wonder Woman: I might pick it back up but as of now I won't be reading anymore. The Zeus heir storyline is reminding me what I don't like about this new version of her and I'm not really invested in anything else about her either.
    Has the idea of Zeus being her daddy even come up again in stories since Rebirth began?
    (Didn't read the issue released today yet, and it seemed Rucka avoided Diana's birth during his Rebirth run.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Has the idea of Zeus being her daddy even come up again in stories since Rebirth began?
    (Didn't read the issue released today yet, and it seemed Rucka avoided Diana's birth during his Rebirth run.)
    Yeah its going to be the main focus of the new writers storyline. She meets Jason and Hercules and with Grail showing up I wouldn't be surprised that father figures are a pretty important theme in the book for the next 12 issues.

Since this is an inherently negative thread (about what we DIDN'T like) I semi-randomly selected it to say, "WOW, what a week for DC Comics!"

This week was my most satisfying pull list in LCS Wednesdays memory. Bear in mind, I pretty much only buy DC.

Mister Miracle (tied w/Batman for my favorite title)
    Detective Comics (I will read this issue over and over and they're really advancing the Rebirth story here)
    Action Comics (the Rebirth revelations charge on)
    Metal (I feel like this came out of nowhere, didn't expect to love it, have gone nuts for every tie-in and especially the main book)
    Wonder Woman (by James Robinson and it's actually pretty darn good so far! and majorly advances Darkseid War tease)
    JLA (yes, it's a horrid comic book but yet another book that's advancing a Rebirth Special-old storyline and who doesn't love Ray Palmer)

Apart from Mister Miracle every story above advanced a major storyline in major ways all in the same week. I don't remember there ever being so many books on sale in the same week all advancing major, line-wide plot lines. I really found it thrilling. I didn't know where to start when I got home.

Plus The Flash, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Hal Jordan and the GLC.

What a week for DC Comics!

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman. Because Rucka left.
    Batman. Because Tom King's run is just...awful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Since this is an inherently negative thread (about what we DIDN'T like) I semi-randomly selected it to say, "WOW, what a week for DC Comics!"

This week was my most satisfying pull list in LCS Wednesdays memory. Bear in mind, I pretty much only buy DC.

Detective Comics (I will read this issue over and over and they're really advancing the Rebirth story here)
    Metal (I feel like this came out of nowhere, didn't expect to love it, have gone nuts for every tie-in and especially the main book)
    Wonder Woman (by James Robinson and it's actually pretty darn good so far! and majorly advances Darkseid War tease)
    JLA (yes, it's a horrid comic book but yet another book that's advancing a Rebirth Special-old storyline and who doesn't love Ray Palmer)

Apart from Mister Miracle every story above advanced a major storyline in major ways all in the same week. I don't remember there ever being so many books on sale in the same week all advancing major, line-wide plot lines. I really found it thrilling. I didn't know where to start when I got home.

This Wednesday was pretty lousy as far as I'm concerned.

Detective Comics, BBoP, RHatO, and Supergirl all ranged from mediocre to awful. The only saving grace was, of course, New Super-Man, which just continues to get better. Hell, considering 4 of my 5 Marvel pulls came out yesterday and I enjoyed each of then, I'm tempted to say Marvel kicked DC's ass...tempted to, but New Super-Man is so good, I still give the W to DC. spoilers:
    It might interest you that this issue has Kenan go back in time to Detective Comics #1, Slam Bradley, old art style and all. The opening scenes of the book directly call out DC's racist history, as the book has done to lesser degrees before, along with racism outside of comics.
    end of spoilers

And if you're curious, since some of those titles you mentioned aren't ones I dropped, or at least didn't mention because they aren't an ongoing, I'll tell ya why I don't read them:

Mister Miracle: I have issues with Tom King both personally (though very minor) and as a writer. One thing I'm waiting to find out is if King puts his toys away at the end of MM, unlike Vision, where Rainbow Rowell seems to be cleaning up the mess he made now.

Action Comics: Gonna be picking this up for Booster Gold's return, but NOTHING about this book until then has interested me at all.

Metal: Likewise, I read both Dark Days issues and they were so boring and dumb. Combine that with the previews for each issue and I have zero interest in Metal. Skipping the entire event.

Wonder Woman: I don't read Wonder Woman. I'm gonna be reading Rucka's first run for that exchange challenge, but Wonder Woman is a character I've never even read a full run of before because she doesn't interest me very much as a solo hero.

Hal Jordan: Putting Hal's name in the title basically killed any interest I might have had from the start, but by the time I knew the other humans were still getting stuff to do and (more recently) I mellowed out on Hal, it was too deep in for me to want to get started. Plus, I REALLY don't want to support Van Sciver.
    Last edited by Assam; 10-12-2017 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

Completely agree with you! My pull list from yesterday was A LOT of fun! Metal is one of the most fun events that I can remember in recent memory for DC. VERY solid issues of The Flash and Hal Jordan. The only reason I have been picking up JLA recently is for my man Ray Palmer and I have not been disappointed.......until next issue it seems.
    If you saw the tease, "two Atoms enter but only one leaves." Well we pretty much know it's going to be Ryan. Heaven FORBID we have two Atoms!!!!!!

I won't touch anything Batman related that Tom King is associated with. That's definite at this point. It's the only current book i feel like is a total lost cause with no redeeming qualities outside of the artwork.

Justice League of America ended up being quite the disappointment. It's all over the place and not in any kind of good way. There's no chemistry on the team/even the Beetle and Frost romance doesn't have much there. It's really, really mediocre. No doubt it's the most drop worthy after Batman.

Wonder Woman i already dropped long ago after the whole Frank Cho controversy. No regrets there. Nothing i've seen in previews or discussion has interested me to go back. Doesn't seem like much is going on there.

Action Comics has been too hit or miss inconsistent. Drop.

Let me just save time and get to it...

There's not actually a lot of DC Comics books i'm into right now. At least half of them could be drop worthy and i don't think a lot of the right people are on the right books. I think Rebirth didn't live up to what it seemed to be and things have regressed since the early stages of it's rebirth. There's still some interesting things going on with Metal and upcoming projects and i'd say i still prefer where things are now compared to New 52 but it's just not up to a higher standard. I'm more into reading older comics at the moment. They're so much better than modern comics. Late 80s through the 90s in particular are so underrated.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-12-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

All-New Member

Maybe straying a bit off topic here, but having read from page one to this last page of this thread, its interesting that no one has actually dropped a book due to the art being annoying or sth like that. Conversely, its interesting people do not keep supporting a book because of great art. For example, I think Clay Mann is absolutely killing it in Batman these past couple of months so despite the story being so and so, I do not actually care much.... arent others sharing the same thought process ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius16 View Post
    Maybe straying a bit off topic here, but having read from page one to this last page of this thread, its interesting that no one has actually dropped a book due to the art being annoying or sth like that. Conversely, its interesting people do not keep supporting a book because of great art. For example, I think Clay Mann is absolutely killing it in Batman these past couple of months so despite the story being so and so, I do not actually care much.... arent others sharing the same thought process ?
    Nope. Art is very much secondary and complimentary is most cases IMO. Good writing easily makes up for weak art, but good art doesn't at all make up for bad writing. Unless artwork is an absolute eyesore, it doesn't deter my enjoyment at all. That said, I DO very much appreciate good art and how it enhances a story. Of course, this is just me, and it's the perspective you'd likely expect from a Screenwriting major.
    Last edited by Assam; 10-12-2017 at 05:42 PM.

The artwork is super important and the main reason i read comics as a visual medium but the art can't save most books depending on what kind of book. The leading direction of the book tends to be more impactful. Even more important than the writing dialogue is this visionary direction leading things.

You can have some amazing art on the book but if the direction it's being led is really bad then the art can't flourish and is being held back and can't be appreciated to it's fullest because it is a visual medium with moving parts and not a just an art book.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Titles I tried but dropped / didn't continue with:
    * Batgirl & the Birds of Prey
    * Batman
    * Detective Comics
    * Flash (only bought the two issues of "The Button" crossover)
    * Green Arrow
    * Nightwing
    * Super Sons
    * Supergirl
    * Superman
    * Superwoman (Perkins first issue didn't grab me)
    * Trinity
    Wonder Woman may soon be joining that list unless Robinson gives us an issue that really makes me want to read more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Forgot to mention that I might be dropping Green Lanterns, should Seeley fail as hard as I think he may with these characters.

So both RHatO and GLs are titles that are currently in a place where they could make me drop them, despite their high quality (GLs in particular) up until this point.

Were I to drop them, along with Titans and Teen Titans after their next issues, I'd be left with 4 books I'm reading:

New Super-Man (The greatest thing from DC in a long time)
    Detective Comics (The most mixed book I'm reading but one I still enjoy)
    Aquaman (The book where nothing too special is going on, save for the current art, but has maintained the high Aquaman standard of quality which has been established since the Nu52)
    and
    Green Arrow (The book where COOOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOR HAAAAAAAAAAAAAWKE is coming back and I can't wait! Also Emi rules, Ollie and Roy are getting their best writing in a very long time, and the art is the most consistently great in Rebirth.)
    I did end up dropping Red Hood and the Outlaws (Along with Titans and Teen Titans) and while Seeley had a good start to his GLs run, the most recent issue turned me off in a major way. Entirely possible I'll be dropping it soon.

New Super-Man remains the best, Detective I can't stop reading no matter how bad it gets, and Aquaman and Green Arrow remain consistently enjoyable.

I'm gonna be reading Action Comics' Booster Shot arc and we'll see if the writing is strong enough to make me want to keep reading once Booster's gone, and similarly, I'll be checking out The Terrffics when it comes out. Hopefully it doesn't get added to my list of dropped books quickly.

Oh, and I've been reading Batgirl and the Birds of Prey's current arc and it makes me want to stab my eyes out it's so bad. Definitely dropping it after the next issue.

Because it has brilliant leads and is one of the best books of DC Rebirth?
    Hear, hear!

I'm not quite persuaded by Seeley's take yet but I sure loved Humphries' run on GL's. And it's no small feat to get us to care so much about new characters when there are so many old ones to love -- GL's was excellent at character development and made Jessica one of my favorite characters ever and made me love Simon too. And it was so much better than the mediocre Hal Jordan and GLC which gets so much more love.

Plus, I REALLY don't want to support Van Sciver.
    Yeah, neither do I. It won't keep me from picking up EVS books in the middle of a run I'm enjoying and I have picked up EVS drawn Metal stuff. But I really, REALLY, REALLY don't like the guy and as a person that suffers from manic depression I am deeply offended by him personally. I wish he would choose another career or go to Marvel so I won't have to continually feel like I have to wash my hands after reading a comic he's drawn.

Currently? Not so much. In the past, absolutely. I cannot stand Howard Porter's art and it almost ruined Morrison's JLA for me. Brett Booth's style on Titans also takes me out of the story over and over again. Otherwise there aren't books I'm reading where the art is a major negative.