Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Which Rebirth Books Have You Dropped (and why)?

I'd like to know what makes people drop titles. I'm a big Rebirth reader, but I've dropped the following books for the following reasons:

Harley Quinn — Not really that funny. (Did pick it up again briefly for the Dini backups, and stopped after that. Looking forward to Harley Loves Joker)
    Nightwing — Got too Babsgirl heavy, and I miss Oracle too much to see the Modern Take on Barbara without my heart breaking
    Wonder Woman — No longer interested if Greg's gone, and don't trust Robinson since Cry for Justice

(I was ABOUT to drop Blue Beetle because Giffen clearly didn't really have a grasp of Jaime's character dynamics, but I'm holding my breath for the new team.)

I was only getting Titans.

Dropped it because
    1. The story was dragging for too long. I'm not much of a fan of the modern trend of writing for trades.
    2. Booth's art, while better than I've seen in a while, made the characters look too derpy-faced. It seems that non-angst emotions may be alien to most modern artists.
    3. I initially replaced it with the Young Animal titles.
    4. I'm using Hoopla a lot more for current/recent comics and being a bit more selective in what I buy with money. Most all I buy now are 1.99 back-issues from the '80s.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

After only following two books for so long in the Nu52, I was willing to give A LOT of Rebirth books a shot, right off the bat....I'm currently down to 8, and that number may be dropping to 5 soon. Reasons for each?

Batman- I thought Gotham and Gotham Girl might be interesting. They weren't, and King's writing wasn't for me at all.
    Nightwing- I thought Raptor seemed interesting. He was! But while I stuck around a bit after, there just wasn't enough to keep me invested here.
    Batwoman- Only read the first issue here so not sure if it counts. It just bored me, much like Kate in general.
    Superwoman- AMAZING first issue. But it was all down hill from there with a really messy plot, and once Jimenez and Traci 13 were gone, it got even worse and I had no real reason to stick around.
    Justice League- Hitch can't write. He just can't. His characters have no personality and his plots are incredibly generic.
    Justice League of America- The Rebirth one-shots were all FANTASTIC. But the book itself I found to lack the great character focus of those, and action isn't what I read comics for. Plus, Lobo on the League? Major turn-off.
    Deathstroke: Okay, not sure if this counts since I never picked this book up in floppy, but as part of a challenge with someone here, I did read the first trade. While I was happy to see the best written Rose Wilson since 2002, Slade remains a s**t tier character, and I have found the plot dreadfully boring.
    Blue Beetle- I was promised Ted Kord mentoring Jaime as the premise for this book. That is not what happened. Toss in poor handling of Ted and Jaime and their dynamics, too many damn characters with Teri, Kevin, and Fate around and a painfully slow, bloated first storyline, and even my love for Ted and Jaime couldn't keep me going.
    Batman Beyond- I've never liked Batman Beyond. Like I remember liking the cartoon as a kid, but it wasn't a favorite of mine, but I've never read a BB comic I've liked and this was no different. Terry and his world are just boring to me.
    Super Sons- When I picked up this book, I hadn't heard about the change in writers from the announcement. It was only after loving the first issue that I realized it was written by Tomasi...and once I knew that, it was only a matter of time before I dropped it. I finished the first arc, but I couldn't live with myself anymore, supporting Tomasi and all, so I dropped it. No regrets though. I've heard the book has only gone down-hill and at present time, I don't care about Jon or Damian at all.
    Superman- Again, a technicality. This one I knew about Tomasi in advance so I didn't buy it...but then my comic club read it so I got to read it for free. It was ok, nothing great, and certainly nothing that couldn't warrant a Tomasi purchase.
    Trinity- I found the first few issues pretty solid, but it just wasn't for me overall.
    The Flash- Like many others, I was duped into buying this because I thought Wally might be around. After one issue, it became clear that it was still all Barry all the time, with a side order of NuWally, I ran away from this book faster than a Flash.

And the three books I am/may be dropping soon:

Titans: I don't care what anyone says, up until Lazarus Contract, this was a fine and fun, if fairly pedestrian, book with a mostly likable cast...since the crossover though, it's become a f**king awful mess, EVERYONE being written badly, nothing being accomplished, a god awful love triangle sub-plot, and Wally just continuing to get kicked through the dirt. This one I AM dropping. I love these characters (except for Dick, Lilith and Karen) too much to see them be put through this anymore.

Teen Titans: This book has been the definition of mediocre. And like Titans, its gotten worse since the crossover. I may like Kory, but she isn't even being written that well here, Jackson hasn't been doing so much for me since his introduction storyline, and I have no desire in general to read about the rest of this cast. I AM dropping this...after Emiko's guest spot. Love her too much to miss that.

Red Hood and the Outlaws: Beyond all expectations, Lobdell has actually been managing to put out a GOOD book. Truly a sign of the apocalypse. But still...Cass is in next week's issue. And if he does her dirty? Gets something significantly wrong? DROPPED. Don't care that it doesn't affect the rest of the book. Lobdell hasn't made me care about his cast enough that it makes a difference. Especially since I haven't forgotten what he's also done to every other character I love that he's written.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Super Sons- When I picked up this book, I hadn't heard about the change in writers from the announcement. It was only after loving the first issue that I realized it was written by Tomasi...and once I knew that, it was only a matter of time before I dropped it. I finished the first arc, but I couldn't live with myself anymore, supporting Tomasi and all, so I dropped it. No regrets though. I've heard the book has only gone down-hill and at present time, I don't care about Jon or Damian at all.
    Really? For me the book has just gotten better after the first arc, Jon’s adventure with the Teen Titans was more like a TT issue than the actual TT title.

For me? Well, currently I haven’t dropped anything, but I’ve fallen behind in a few titles. I just picked up ‘tec again because of Tim’s return but I plan to read the issues before that, GA because Dinah was leaving and I don’t care about Ollie if Dinah isn’t around, BATBOP...the first arc was solid, but still didn’t make it for me, and I’m behind in RHATO because I was honestly there for Artemis, might pick it up later though.

I am trying to remember what I had in my pull list at the start of rebirth.

Aquaman- Gave it a try and while it was pretty good, it wasn't something I wanted to continue to spend money.

Green Arrow- Love GA but not a fan of Percy. GA is a character that has always had politics involved and that has never bothered me. However, Percy is about as subtle as a brick to the face.

Batman- Same reason as Aquaman. It was good, but not enough for me to keep spending money month to month on it.

I think that leaves me with three current titles. Titans, Flash, and Hal Jordan. Though I am giving Robinson's WW a try and also currently reading JLA since Ray Palmer is back.

Oh, yeah! I dropped WW for the time being, I love her deeply but I’m not interested in the aftermath of Darkseid War or some lost brother of hers.

Titans. I got tired of seeing Wally get dragged but I'm also tired of it also centering around him all the time. I'd rather be get a solo and the of her characters can shine...but that's a separate issue.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Green Lanterns: Cause i can't relate wit the new 2 earth's green lantern, and their relationships was predictable.
    Justice League: Just a word: boring!

After only following two books for so long in the Nu52, I was willing to give A LOT of Rebirth books a shot, right off the bat....I'm currently down to 8, and that number may be dropping to 5 soon. Reasons for each?

Batman- I thought Gotham and Gotham Girl might be interesting. They weren't, and King's writing wasn't for me at all.
    Nightwing- I thought Raptor seemed interesting. He was! But while I stuck around a bit after, there just wasn't enough to keep me invested here.
    Batwoman- Only read the first issue here so not sure if it counts. It just bored me, much like Kate in general.
    Superwoman- AMAZING first issue. But it was all down hill from there with a really messy plot, and once Jimenez and Traci 13 were gone, it got even worse and I had no real reason to stick around.
    Justice League- Hitch can't write. He just can't. His characters have no personality and his plots are incredibly generic.
    Justice League of America- The Rebirth one-shots were all FANTASTIC. But the book itself I found to lack the great character focus of those, and action isn't what I read comics for. Plus, Lobo on the League? Major turn-off.
    Deathstroke: Okay, not sure if this counts since I never picked this book up in floppy, but as part of a challenge with someone here, I did read the first trade. While I was happy to see the best written Rose Wilson since 2002, Slade remains a s**t tier character, and I have found the plot dreadfully boring.
    Blue Beetle- I was promised Ted Kord mentoring Jaime as the premise for this book. That is not what happened. Toss in poor handling of Ted and Jaime and their dynamics, too many damn characters with Teri, Kevin, and Fate around and a painfully slow, bloated first storyline, and even my love for Ted and Jaime couldn't keep me going.
    Batman Beyond- I've never liked Batman Beyond. Like I remember liking the cartoon as a kid, but it wasn't a favorite of mine, but I've never read a BB comic I've liked and this was no different. Terry and his world are just boring to me.
    Superman- Again, a technicality. This one I knew about Tomasi in advance so I didn't buy it...but then my comic club read it so I got to read it for free. It was ok, nothing great, and certainly nothing that couldn't warrant a Tomasi purchase.
    Trinity- I found the first few issues pretty solid, but it just wasn't for me overall.
    The Flash- Like many others, I was duped into buying this because I thought Wally might be around. After one issue, it became clear that it was still all Barry all the time, with a side order of NuWally, I ran away from this book faster than a Flash.

Titans: I don't care what anyone says, up until Lazarus Contract, this was a fine and fun, if fairly pedestrian, book with a mostly likable cast...since the crossover though, it's become a f**king awful mess, EVERYONE being written badly, nothing being accomplished, a god awful love triangle sub-plot, and Wally just continuing to get kicked through the dirt. This one I AM dropping. I love these characters (except for Dick, Lilith and Karen) too much to see them be put through this anymore.

Teen Titans: This book has been the definition of mediocre. And like Titans, its gotten worse since the crossover. I may like Kory, but she isn't even being written that well here, Jackson hasn't been doing so much for me since his introduction storyline, and I have no desire in general to read about the rest of this cast. I AM dropping this...after Emiko's guest spot. Love her too much to miss that.

Red Hood and the Outlaws: Beyond all expectations, Lobdell has actually been managing to put out a GOOD book. Truly a sign of the apocalypse. But still...Cass is in next week's issue. And if he does her dirty? Gets something significantly wrong? DROPPED. Don't care that it doesn't affect the rest of the book. Lobdell hasn't made me care about his cast enough that it makes a difference. Especially since I haven't forgotten what he's also done to every other character I love that he's written.
    Supersons gone downhill where did you hear that? If anything it's gotten better.

BANNED

Superman
    Justice League
    Batman
    Green Lanterns
    Super Sons
    Justice League of America

The Super books especially were ok and I usually like Tomasi, but these were nothing special to me in the long run.

Everything else was very mediocre and double shipping is clearly hurting the quality of these books.

Wonder Woman is the only ongoing I am still reading and I even dropped that for the fill-in arc between Rucka and Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Supersons gone downhill where did you hear that? If anything it's gotten better.
    The Teen Titans arc was super good, and hopefully it will turn more serious with the xover

I dropped teen titans because they were becoming crossover heavy, and supergirl because i’ve lost interest in the tv show. Both justice league titles, because they aren’t fighting established villains anymore.

I might drop Trinity after the current story arc because I have been slowly losing interest. But apart from that, I am still reading all the books I have been reading since the start of Rebirth.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

That reminds me; i wanted to like blue beetle, with doctor fate and the mystical subplot, but the execution was terrible, and i really don’t have much interest in jamie’s personal life.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Oh, yeah! I dropped WW for the time being, I love her deeply but I’m not interested in the aftermath of Darkseid War or some lost brother of hers.
    Really?! Her brother is the reason i’ve started reading it again. But yeah, i’m dropping it again once she gets to apokolips.