Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Let's see:

- super-genius who has been building world-changing products since he was 15 years old
    - desire to help others
    - well-liked person (not originally, but after a 100 issues or so)
    - desire to succeed (not a strong trait, but it is something he has, buried under his sense of responsibility)

Now, I'll also say that Peter's historic lack of self-confidence, and his awkwardness are traits that may go against this. But I don't see any reason why someone like Peter would not come to the logical conclusion that building a company off of his genius would be a great way to help people, give himself the ability to responsibly take care of his family, and also help become a better superhero. And while Peter's commitment to responsibility could hinder his company at times, and he might not be the best at giving announcements, that's no reason why people wouldn't line up to buy his products and making him an international businessman. And while I admit that "international businessman" may not be the first thing that strikes from his character, it sure as hell makes more sense to me than Peter intentionally (and unethically) committing fraud by selling selfies to the Bugle, or teaching kids (who could probably walk all over him, considering his soft-spoken nature) who couldn't give a crap about science.
    This is speaking as someone who is generally warming up to the idea of Parker Industries (better late than never, I guess), but wouldn't this mean he'd be in even more danger of being walked over in business? After all, kids can be mean, but are typically just lazy, but unethical business rivals could have reason and ability to completely destroy him. I mean, didn't someone attempt to do just that? Repeatedly? *coughcoughSanjanicoughcough*

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    This is speaking as someone who is generally warming up to the idea of Parker Industries (better late than never, I guess), but wouldn't this mean he'd be in even more danger of being walked over in business? After all, kids can be mean, but are typically just lazy, but unethical business rivals could have reason and ability to completely destroy him. I mean, didn't someone attempt to do just that? Repeatedly? *coughcoughSanjanicoughcough*
    Speaking of Sajani, could see her bashing Peter in the media at some point during the "Fall of Parker" storyline, getting her licks in on someone she tried to screw over and in turn feels screwed over by.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Speaking of Sajani, could see her bashing Peter in the media at some point during the "Fall of Parker" storyline, getting her licks in on someone she tried to screw over and in turn feels screwed over by.
    No surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's cool. I think for Peter to do something like Parker Industries on his own (without being body-jacked by Otto Octavius), he'd need a really hard push from someone he knew and trusted implicitly to get himself to go beyond his usual self-imposed limits and boundaries. On another note, if Parker Industries had to happen at all, I could see a lost "Last Will and Testament" from Ezekiel that, after being dug up and read, made Peter the beneficiary if not heir of Ezekiel's corporate empire, entrusting him to steer WebCorps (and the Spider Society for which it fronted) in a more morally positive direction. It would at least be something that came out of Peter's own history and development as a character, and could add to that same development by exploring how he comes to terms with even greater power and responsibility, as well as his relationship with Ezekiel and the secrets Ezekiel kept from him (like Cindy/Silk, or that he was intending to sacrifice Peter to keep his own stolen spider-powers).
    That would be a great way to introduce the idea of Parker Industries, and it could end up making Cindy be a less forced-in character too, too bad they didn't go for something like that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That would be a great way to introduce the idea of Parker Industries, and it could end up making Cindy be a less forced-in character too, too bad they didn't go for something like that.
    Thanks. I'm glad you like it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    See, that's why I think the Bugle worked fine when Peter was a teen struggling to take care of his ill, elderly aunt and needed money any way he could get it. Now that he is older (and Aunt May is younger :P - or at least less ill), I don't think Peter would be able to justify being a criminal in order to earn money. Not to mention the fact he could earn way more as a scientist/businessman.

Well, even if you think Peter would never assume that, wouldn't he now know that it is the best use of his gifts, having experienced it? He was able to fund a team of Avengers, make Spider-Man a more effective hero, help kids in need in developing countries, free people from oppressive rulers, and make a difference in the lives of people everywhere. So it should apply to him now, if not before. Personally, I don't know why Peter wouldn't have realized that earlier, but to each his own on that.

The difference is that Peter was angry/moody because his aunt was always dying and he had literally 0 friends. Ultimate Peter's life was much easier (I think MJ liked him since the beginning of the series IIRC, and May was hardly in danger) and yet he was much more cynical and bitter.

Yeah, I may be in the minority but I wasn't that happy with Ultimate Spider-Man for a Peter who got hot tempered and whiny even though he had it better than 616 Peter Parker

Does he really? I find it hard to believe someone would prefer barely scraping by, when he could easily be living a more comfortable life. Especially considering he regularly gets beat up as Spidey. I, for one, don't view Peter as a masochist. This is even more grievous in his married incarnations, since according to this logic he is just lowering the quality of life for his wife (and kids) because he prefers it like that.
    I do know that Peter has a degree, and has shown enough competency in writing to get that degree, and may not be as far away from writing a column than you think. That or maybe he used his money from part of selling off assets of the company at dissolution as a way to possibly get some ownership and oversight on the Bugle? But unfortunately, I agree with the premise that him being stuck in a freelance photographer makes him look worse to me, unless you de-aged him to a college student or you transitioned him into anything ranging from Horizon Labs, or where he is a worker of science and/or engineering. There are jobs in science or engineering that do pay decent, even though it's not a multinational CEO.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!