Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But you would still probably get complaints about the absence of other established Spidey supporting characters. Which was probably why it was important the satellite titles were able to use the elements that JMS wasn't.

I don't think there's any harm in a writer re-using several villains, especially if they use this as a chance to develop them more as you alluded to or put them into new situations with Spidey. What's the point of a Rogues Gallery otherwise .
    Hmm... I'm not really sure how many people would really care that much about seeing people like Robbie, Betty, Flash, etc. less. I mean, they've hardly been in the book for the last few years and I've seen maybe two or three people regularly complain about it, and a few people who would like a check in with them but don't care too much. It's only the few main characters like MJ, Aunt May, Black Cat, Harry, etc. who are more in demand, and even then, I'd say a writer could pull off well-loved storied with only May and MJ around.

As for rogues gallery, I think we agree. The problem is, most stories don't do anything interesting or new with the established villains, which is why I made that point. Like, there's a difference between using Ock in Superior Spider-Man (great character development) vs using Osborn in Osborn Identity (basically a completely useless story).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    JMS did have supporting characters. It was just Iron Man rather than Robbie Robertson.

His approach worked at a particular time, as he thought previous writers had focused too much on the supporting cast over giving Peter interesting and meaningful problems, but it doesn't mean that everyone else should imitate his approach.

The classic rogues aren't needed for good stories. JMS and Stern used alternatives, and there's something to be said for the appeal to new readers you have when Spider-Man encounters someone he doesn't have decades of backstory with.

Though whatever way it's done, the battles shouldn't be mindless "hero vs villain" action. We don't really talk about fight scene choreography, but it's a big part of what makes comics work.
    I think JMS did streamline the cast quite a lot. Even if we do include Iron Man (which was only really in the latter half of the run), the main cast was STILL just MJ, May, and Stark, in addition to Peter. Sure, other characters made appearances here and there so the world didn't feel empty, but those 3 were the only real recurring characters in addition to Peter.

Personally, I think focusing on a few key characters and giving them the attention to meaningfully develop is a lot better than having a large cast just because. After all, supporting cast stories will almost always be the "B-Stories" in ASM, which means they have very limited page space. That's why I think that is the best approach. I mean, in how many stories has JJJ's or Robbie's (or hell, Philip Chan's - if that's what his name is) personal life ever had an real impact on the story? Now, contrast that with how many times MJ's or Aunt May's personal life has had an impact. Just my opinion though.

I think using new (or non-stereotypical "Spidey") villains works better for both new and old readers when done well. New readers don't have to puzzle through obscure references, but old readers are also treated to something new. Of course, as I said before, old villains have their place as well, especially considering that cluttering the Marvel Universe with more superpowered beings may not be such a great idea, LOL.

Will Amazing Spider Man still be bi-weekly once legacy kicks in?

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Hmm... I'm not really sure how many people would really care that much about seeing people like Robbie, Betty, Flash, etc. less. I mean, they've hardly been in the book for the last few years and I've seen maybe two or three people regularly complain about it, and a few people who would like a check in with them but don't care too much. It's only the few main characters like MJ, Aunt May, Black Cat, Harry, etc. who are more in demand, and even then, I'd say a writer could pull off well-loved storied with only May and MJ around.
    Well, I've bene h vocal about wanting to see them all again and that the title hasn't quite felt the same with them gone.

A writer probably could pull off successful stories with just May and MJ, as JMS and other writers have, but I think you're losing out on the Spidey experience and making him too insular if you don't include the rest of his supporting cast and the impact they have on his world.

As for rogues gallery, I think we agree. The problem is, most stories don't do anything interesting or new with the established villains, which is why I made that point. Like, there's a difference between using Ock in Superior Spider-Man (great character development) vs using Osborn in Osborn Identity (basically a completely useless story).
    Well, just comparing the two stories you mention, I think Slott prefers Ock much moreso then he does Norman, and it shows in the writing.

I think JMS did streamline the cast quite a lot. Even if we do include Iron Man (which was only really in the latter half of the run), the main cast was STILL just MJ, May, and Stark, in addition to Peter. Sure, other characters made appearances here and there so the world didn't feel empty, but those 3 were the only real recurring characters in addition to Peter.

Personally, I think focusing on a few key characters and giving them the attention to meaningfully develop is a lot better than having a large cast just because. After all, supporting cast stories will almost always be the "B-Stories" in ASM, which means they have very limited page space. That's why I think that is the best approach. I mean, in how many stories has JJJ's or Robbie's (or hell, Philip Chan's - if that's what his name is) personal life ever had an real impact on the story? Now, contrast that with how many times MJ's or Aunt May's personal life has had an impact. Just my opinion though.
    But those "B-Stories" helped flesh out the supporting cast and the orbit around Peter, and made it feel more real and distinct.

It's like comparing the way the supporting cast was handled in Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon vs. USM or the current Marvel's Spider-Man. Because we got to go more in-depth into the lives of supporting cast in the former, they felt more 3-dimensional and Spidey's world felt bigger as a result. But we don't really get that much anymore.

I think using new (or non-stereotypical "Spidey") villains works better for both new and old readers when done well. New readers don't have to puzzle through obscure references, but old readers are also treated to something new. Of course, as I said before, old villains have their place as well, especially considering that cluttering the Marvel Universe with more superpowered beings may not be such a great idea, LOL.
    I think it depends on the context. If you're deliberately doing something like "Spider-Man Team-Up" or a few one-off stories where Spidey fights new villains or villains he's never fought before, I think it works. But I also think the novelty would eventually wear off.

So we have to wait all the ay until February for the fallout of parker industries?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by superiorspidey; 10-06-2017 at 09:27 AM.

I guess I’m intrigued by whatever reason the X-men blue team would have for attempting to kidnap Venom, who I don’t think they’ve even met yet in their time here. Though I suppose it makes sense the alternate timeline/displaced reality x-men would deal with some events from an alt universe story like Venomverse, although what from that would involve the X-men is beyond me.

Though I suppose none of this comes as a surprise since Bunn is using what happened in Venomverse in his Monsters Unleashed series as well.
    Last edited by sifighter; 10-06-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Very interesting to note that they mention Falcon will fight Blackheart, Mephisto's kid, at the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Very interesting to note that they mention Falcon will fight Blackheart, Mephisto's kid, at the panel.
    I guess that...kinda makes it relevant to a Spider-Man panel ?

BANNED

The Chameleon will return in Spidey/Deadpool, and sharks will be main characters

The Chameleon will return in Spidey/Deadpool, and sharks will be main characters
    We already knew that though...like a lot of the news coming out of this panel so far .

I guess the shark thing is new .

BANNED

A fans asked about Peter and MJ...but Lowe simply pointed him in Renew Your Vows direction and promoted the upcoming time skip

Slott said if he brought back Ultimate Jessica Drew, he'd probably just kill her

A fans asked about Peter and MJ...but Lowe simply pointed him in Renew Your Vows direction and promoted the upcoming time skip

Slott said if he brought back Ultimate Jessica Drew, he'd probably just kill her
    Man, these Spider-Panels sound like a real bummer...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Man, these Spider-Panels sound like a real bummer...
    I'm sure that's the attitude Marvel wants people to have about one of their premiere franchises.

BANNED

Latour says that while they've left the door open with Miles and Gwen, the story for their relationship hasn't quite materialized yet.

They also teased that Ben will meet Venom

They also teased that Toxin will be back
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-06-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Lowe says that while they've left the door open with Miles and Gwen, the story for their relationship hasn't quite materialized yet.
    AKA There isn't any plans for them .